Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The greatest generation and some crappy tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
The greatest generation and some crappy tools
on: August 14, 2019, 04:47:12 PM
Long story, but well worth the read, at least I think so since I will be going to the effort to type it out!  :P

I arrived at work this morning knowing that I was expected to replace a bathroom faucet.  No big deal, I have done it many times, and yesterday I replaced a kitchen faucet, but I didn't have the tools to work in the tighter confines of the bathroom sink then.  I brought along my wrenches, which you should all be familiar with by now.  I also brought one of my big adjustable wrenches and a smaller adjustable wrench too. 

Things did not go smoothly as I climbed under the sink- the feeder hose connections to the underside of the faucet were corroded badly and did not want to come off.  My big adjustable wrench had large enough jaws to wrap around the connection, but there wasn't enough room to turn it.  My smaller adjustable wrench wasn't big enough, and the connector was just bigger than my largest wrench. 

I went next door to the hardware store and bought a larger set of SAE wrenches that were on sale, came back and continued the struggle.  Unfortunately, there did not appear to be the right size of wrench in that set, so I went back to the hardware store and got the Metric set, which I had looked at and contemplated buying at the same time as the SAE set, but didn't.  Such is my luck.... and so I made a second trip.

Upon my return I continued arguing with the sink, and still got nowhere as there didn't seem to be a correct sized wrench in the Metric set either, much to my dismay.  I had just spent half of my day's wages on wrenches that weren't doing the job I needed to do.  Worse, the thing we laughingly refer to as the "tool box" here at work is poorly stocked with the cheapest tools you get in those cheap sets that appear around Christmas time.

I figured the best way to get it out was to try and pull the faucet up from the top, but there was a plastic collar holding it in place- a plastic collar that would also need to get over the feed hose, which wasn't going to happen.  I managed to loosen the plastic collar, but it was still very awkward to get at to cut, and in fact, I broke the cheap hacksaw trying. 

When I went back to the lab to get a screwdriver I noticed that an elderly couple was sitting in the front, thus far completely ignored as I was the only person here.  With many apologies regarding my sweaty, disheveled appearance (this is a clinic after all) I introduced myself and explained that I was fixing the sink.  The gentleman (and I mean that in every sense of the word) offered to help, and, as it turns out, is my boss' father.  The man has to be in his 80's, and his first response was to roll up his sleeves and get dirty too.  You just have to love that mentality, especially as this man has no idea who I am, never met me before, and I have made him wait.

I thanked him but, after explaining quickly the problems I was having and that most were a result of not having any space to work, I declined his help.  I then took care of what he had come in for, and he and his wife left.  I returned to the sink.

About ten minutes later I heard the door chime go off (I didn't hear it earlier) and so I came out to help whoever it was.  As it turns out, it is my boss' father, returning to see what kind of hacksaw blade I needed- he had actually gone next door to the hardware store to buy me a replacement blade since I'd mentioned that I had broken mine, but then realized he didn't know what type I needed.

Of course, by this time I had managed to use a heat gun to heat up a utility knife blade enough to cut the plastic collar and I had the old faucet off.  I was at the clean up stage prior to installing the new one when he returned, so I am glad he didn't buy hacksaw blades since I didn't need it any more.

Admittedly I work for his son, but the reality is, this man didn't know me from a hole in the ground, yet was perfectly ready and willing to get down on his hands and knees and get dirty to help a complete stranger.  That mentality is, in my opinion, sorely lacking these days, and in my generation as well.  I actually felt bad that I had managed to get the problem solved and that there wasn't something left that he could get his hands on!

They don't call them the Greatest Generation for nothing.  It was a breath of fresh air for me that he wasn't just being polite, but genuinely wanted to help out a total stranger.  As soon as he had left again, I sent my boss a text to say that his parents were exceptional people- which admittedly shouldn't come as a surprise as my boss is a really great guy too.  :tu:

Anyways, pointless story really, I just wanted to share, because, well, let's face it, who else in my life is going to appreciate a complete stranger willing to wade into a plumbing problem like that?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: The greatest generation and some crappy tools
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 05:40:24 PM
Really does sound like they raised your boss right. :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 06:12:55 PM
Hats off to the old gent! :hatsoff:
- Steve

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 06:30:56 PM
Thank you for a great read, and our world does need more folks like him!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:51:30 PM
Lovely story Grant  :tu:

Do you think this could happen outside of Canada too?  :D

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 07:10:44 PM
This is how people should be! If everyone was like that the world would be a much happier place. Nice read and good that you met someone like that

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 07:26:18 AM
Not afraid to roll up his sleeves and get to work huh?  Yeah that about sounds right.  Good on him for his genuine willingness to help. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 09:08:53 AM
Great story Grant, thanks for sharing.
 :like:
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:41:42 AM
I tried to post a comment yesterday, but the wifi on the train was cack. The tedium of sitting on said train for over ten hours was starting set in, but for at least twenty minutes (I'm a slow reader) reading your delightful story, I forgot all about my aching arse.  :cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 12:32:57 PM
Cool story  :tu:

I think for many people who used to be hands on, but have moved on to a more sedate lifestyle, there's a lingering but mostly dormant desire to "get stuck in", that gets reawakened in those scenarios. I've known a few retirees who suddenly get a burst of energy if they think they can help fix a problem that someone else is genuinely struggling with. I think it's partially a carry over from an age where people did muck in to help each other more, but also because it's nice to feel needed again - partially cultural, and partially recovering a lost purpose.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

se Offline RF52

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 01:59:21 PM
Great story and a great gentleman :hatsoff:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 03:27:01 PM
Great read, Grant. Definitely helps make the day better meeting people like that.  :cheers:
Indeed it is usually the old timers who offer to jump in and help most of the time. I've had some younger people do the same, so I can't say the mindset is dead yet though.

A few years ago, before I was completely consumed with the multitool bug, I was working one of our huge open-house sale days, and didn't have my Mr. Pinchy with me. Just the Vic Explorer. And a customer had purchased a wash stand I had restored, but the mirror trim had popped loose(one of those things I had considered removing and regluing, but didn't.  :facepalm:
So I grabbed my cyanoacrylate and headed over to the wash stand to do the repair. The building is 25K sq. ft, so I had to wade through several hundred people to get there. I got there and couldn't get the glue tip off. Then an older gentleman came over and just handed me his OG LM Wave(didn't know what it was then) already opened(so I knew I'd need to remember to hand it back the way he handed it to me).
Got the top off and handed him the glue, and he asked if he could watch, so I said "yes".
The wood wasn't sitting quite flush after the glue was in, so I said I needed to go get some clamps, but the old man said he would hold the trim down while I got in there with accelerator to set the glue.
The man had obviously worked with his hands his whole life, because the old man finger clamped the glued area flush while I set the glue and flowed some more into the joint.
I had though he was the man who bought the piece of furniture, so I wasn't too perplexed why he had offered to be so much help, then I asked what kind of vehicle he had to haul it and he said "I ain't the one who bought this, but I'll help you carry it to the front outsideand load it."  :o
A man I never once met or talked to had just spent 30 minutes helping a young whipper-snapper fix a wash stand. :)
We carried the wash stand 200ft to the car to load it in and I shook his hand(he had the old world vise grip hand shake, and I shook in kind out of respect) and said "Can't thank you enough", and he said "everyone needs help at some time or another, and I did what is right".
Thanked him again and we parted ways.

After that he would come in the store every few months just to chat and "watch a man who knows how to work do a good job". I learned he had been a contractor and amateur carpenter his whole life and I learned some cool techniques he told me about with refinishing and veneer work, which I am very thankful of.
His wife came in a few weeks ago just to let me know he had died a week before, and I was sick to my stomach about it. But, out of respect for the kindness, I have helped countless people with similar endeavors. I've always been helpful whenever people ask, but after knowing him, I help whoever looks to be having a hard time and needs help. I offer with the intent of helping everytime now. My life is better having known the old man. :)

I still have a can of homemade walnut stain he gave me, which I save for important small stain jobs, and remember hin everytime I use it. He also made me a furniture scraper out of an old saw blade, which I use often as well.

Paying it forward is the most rewarding thing in life. Wish everyone could meet someone like I did. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 06:50:24 PM
Correction to the previous post*
I handed him his leatherman, and not the glue.  :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:19:33 AM
Great stories Grant and glbm  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 12:24:19 AM
Nice story Grant !   :cheers:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 02:40:42 AM
Thank you for sharing Grant, and glad you beat that faucet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 08:25:49 AM
Great story! Thanks for sharing! 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 11:43:00 AM
Love these story's...... Great stuff  :tu:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 12:45:54 PM
 :salute:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 12:52:55 PM
Great stories! I think when we read or watch the news its easy to lose sight of the fact that genuinely caring and helpful members of society greatly outnumber the dickwads. It's probably the old 80/20 thing

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 01:55:01 PM
Great stories! I think when we read or watch the news its easy to lose sight of the fact that genuinely caring and helpful members of society greatly outnumber the dickwads. It's probably the old 80/20 thing

Aye, the dickwads are always more shouty and me me me me, so you notice them more too... Dickwads.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 02:13:48 PM

Getting ill really opened my eyes to this!

I'm continually astounded how many people will go out of their way, if only for a short while, to make a difference. Simple things like holding open doors, giving up seats, or stopping the car to allow you to cross the road - even when not at a crossing - to helping with shopping, offering a lift in the car, or generally just go out of their way to offer a bit of help. I even had a taxi driver and a hairdresser refuse to take money off me after doing their job. I used to do those kinds of things myself before I got ill, but thought I was the exception, as I never noticed the good deeds of others, but now I do.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 02:18:39 PM
You always have great stories to tell uncle Deff! Thanks for sharing, a breath of fresh air indeed!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 01:39:33 PM
Getting ill really opened my eyes to this!

I'm continually astounded how many people will go out of their way, if only for a short while, to make a difference. Simple things like holding open doors, giving up seats, or stopping the car to allow you to cross the road - even when not at a crossing - to helping with shopping, offering a lift in the car, or generally just go out of their way to offer a bit of help. I even had a taxi driver and a hairdresser refuse to take money off me after doing their job. I used to do those kinds of things myself before I got ill, but thought I was the exception, as I never noticed the good deeds of others, but now I do.

When I was just a kid I was going into the bank with my mom.  I noticed someone coming up behind us so I instinctively held the door for him.  He stopped and rather harshly grunted at me "well, are you going in or coming out?"

I didn't know how to react, but fortunately my mom did.  She said "He's holding the door for you, you should thank him!"

The shock on the guy's face was quickly covered up as he grunted "Hmmph, a polite teenager.  Who'd have thought it?" and walked past me.

I never did get a thank you, he never apologized and my mother was quick to tell me that I had done the right thing and that some people are just idiots.  I realize that I should have learned that long before my early teenage years, but the fact is, I had a very sheltered upbringing until that point.

My father was military, and we always lived on military bases until we moved to Halifax in '86 (or so), at which point we lived in a small fishing village where literally everyone had known everyone else their whole lives, and most people my age were already drinking, smoking and fighting on a regular basis. Oh yeah, and every second word was an F Bomb.  The way the Trailer Park Boys speak is actually how folks around here speak more often than not.

NSFW- I mean it.  Probably not a good idea to even watch this, but definitely don't watch it near anyone else.

Show content

I never realized how great life on a base was until I moved here and lived off of one... and honestly, we would have been hard pressed to find a worse place to live.  There are lots of nice places here, but Eastern passage in the 80's was not one of them.

I agree with the 80/20 rule, although I feel it is probably closer to 90/10, but at the time, we were living in a pretty heavy concentration of the 10% and so I always appreciate it when someone isn't a complete jackass.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 04:00:28 AM
Forgot how much I enjoyed Trailer Park Boys. Now I have to find the last few seasons to watch and get caught up on.

Thanks for sucking me back in  :facepalm:

-Wes
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: August 26, 2019, 03:13:17 PM
If you like the Trailer Park Boys, see if you can find a few episodes of Letterkenny. 

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 03:25:45 PM
Correction to the previous post*
I handed him his leatherman, and not the glue.  :facepalm:
I handed my girlfriend superglue instead of lip balm last week.
She's still not talking to me.

Show content
I was just joking.
Show content
I don't really have a girlfriend.
Show content
:(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00