Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tofty's Carbon-Fibre Multitool Ver.3

gb Offline Tofty

Tofty's Carbon-Fibre Multitool Ver.3
on: August 15, 2019, 09:50:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while.

(I'm not sure if this is more of an R&D thread or not, but my thinking is that: The design uses some donor parts, so it could technically be a mod, I have no intention of marketing this tool and the thread is primarily meant to be informative to others, rather than to gather information for myself)

When the Leatherman Skeletool CX was launched more than a decade ago, it reignited my passion for multitools, just like the original Wave had, another decade before that. It's asymmetrical shape, hex bit holder and use of carbon-fibre seemed revolutionary at the time and it inspired me to try and think of new and interesting ways these features could be utilised. While it still has many issues and flaws, after several iterations I think I've finally come up with something that has merit.

I present my Carbon-Fibre Multitool Ver.3

Obviously the idea of having asymmetric handles and an integrated in-line hex bit driver was dropped, but I continued with trying to use Carbon-Fibre as much as possible to reduce weight.

The tools weighs just under 220 grams, with a Leatherman Charge coming in at just over 250 grams. Not as great a weight saving as I'd hoped for.

Modularity is something I've really come to appreciate during my time modding Leathermans and SOGs, so I've tried to integrate that in as much as possible too.

The knives and large tools can be mounted on either end of the handle and the thumb studs can be mounted on either side of the blade (although the model doesn’t show this feature), making the tool equally suitable for lefties.

All tools, except the square driver, are: 1mm, 1.5mm or 2mm thick, with either 0.1mm or 0.2mm spacing washers between all tools and plier heads.

The plier heads I've used are from the Rebar and the scissor spring is the large Victorinox one.

All screws are just standard metric sizes, so losses or damage can be easily rectified and disassembly is as simple as possible, without requiring speSmurfpillst tools.

One side of the outer tools can be removed completely, leaving a much slimmer setup (similar to Ver.2 shown below), although this would require shorter pivot pins and a new thicker scale for that side.

None of tools lock into place, which is something that doesn’t bother me (and keeps it UK legal), but would be the main feature added to the next potential iteration. Something like the Vic Swisstool/Gerber 800 locks would likely be the only practical option.

The tool selection is just my personal preference and is mostly a place holder to show what can fit into the available space.
Tools included:
Tanto Blade,
Serrated Blade,
Metal File,
Scissors,
Flat Driver 8mm x 1.2mm,
Flat Driver 5.5mm x 0.8mm,
Lanyard Loop,
Removeable Pocket Clip,
¼” Square Driver + ¼” Hex Bit Hole,
Phillips #2 Driver + 4mm Hex Bit Hole,
Flat Driver 4mm x 0.6mm,
Flat Driver 2mm x 0.4mm,
Hook Cutter + Flat Driver 3mm x 0.5mm,
Bottle/Can Opener + Awl,
Rebar Plier Head w/ Replaceable Cutters.

I'm currently working on a universal extension type tool, a bit like my Jigsaw Holder, but just stronger and more secure, to allow the mounting of accessory tools.
It would replace the pocket clip position.

Here is a comparison with my earlier versions of the design, alongside a useful Charge model I found.

Leatherman Charge model is by “thinkin3D” and can be downloaded from GrabCAD (no affiliation)

Please let me know what you think.
Cheers
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:55:56 AM by Tofty »
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Tofty's Carbon-Fibre Multitool Ver.3
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:25:23 PM
That looks excellent very nice indeed I would buy one  :dd: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:32:24 PM
Looks good, and it's cool you're designing your own MT :hatsoff:
What kind of serrations is that on the serrated blade?

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 01:38:11 PM
Very cool, I like the idea too.

Please excuse a dumb question (I don’t know much about carbon fiber), but is the frame strong / solid enough if you use e.g. a screw driver on a really stuck screw where the multitool will be twisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 06:21:02 PM
This is some very bad ass work!
This is the dream! A customizable multitool without requiring mods, just put it together with your tools of choice!

:hatsoff:

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 06:29:29 PM
Awesome work as always matey.  :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 07:52:56 PM
Impressive work there, Peter  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 09:50:23 PM
Older multitools like the supertool can get away with no locks because when the tool it deployed blades still can't fully close. An outside opening tool like this without either a slip joint or lock is a lawsuit waiting to happen imo. If it's outside facing tools you need some form of rentention.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 10:38:44 PM
Thanks everyone.

What kind of serrations is that on the serrated blade?

The serration design is originally from an old knife from Colt called the Cobra. I had a go at replicating it on a Charge mod I did a while back: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,28429.msg493275.html#msg493275
Still not sure if it actually works, but I just like the way it looks.

Please excuse a dumb question (I don’t know much about carbon fiber), but is the frame strong / solid enough if you use e.g. a screw driver on a really stuck screw where the multitool will be twisted?

That's a good question and I'm not really confident that the answer would be a positive one without performing some real world tests. The carbon-fibre scales being relatively thick should resist twisting well and the central metal core will give the handles some 3-dimensional rigidity.

This is the dream! A customizable multitool without requiring mods, just put it together with your tools of choice!

Glad you like the idea. I'm interested to hear what tools would constitute your preferred setup.

Older multitools like the supertool can get away with no locks because when the tool it deployed blades still can't fully close. An outside opening tool like this without either a slip joint or lock is a lawsuit waiting to happen imo. If it's outside facing tools you need some form of rentention.

The original Supertool did have proper locking tools, although the mechanism was very crude.
It's a good point, but Ver.3 does have slip joints for every tool and blade.

se Offline RF52

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:49:49 PM
Thanks everyone.

The serration design is originally from an old knife from Colt called the Cobra. I had a go at replicating it on a Charge mod I did a while back: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,28429.msg493275.html#msg493275
Still not sure if it actually works, but I just like the way it looks.

That's a good question and I'm not really confident that the answer would be a positive one without performing some real world tests. The carbon-fibre scales being relatively thick should resist twisting well and the central metal core will give the handles some 3-dimensional rigidity.

Glad you like the idea. I'm interested to hear what tools would constitute your preferred setup.

The original Supertool did have proper locking tools, although the mechanism was very crude.
It's a good point, but Ver.3 does have slip joints for every tool and blade.
Thanks, they look like easier and faster to sharpen then normal serrations

se Offline RF52

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 10:51:21 PM
And that Charge mod looks gorgeous :drool: :like:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 11:05:02 PM

Hey Peter good to see you here  :tu:
I can see a huge amount of work has gone in to those ideas Mate  :salute:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 05:56:16 AM

Without locks, it's no different to a Swiss knife, or Leatherman Juice, or Gerber Balance, or any of the original Bear and Sons tools that the Swisstool was modelled on. There's been other non-locking tools with external implements too. Yes, it means it needs responsible handling, but so do tools with locks. The right amount of backspring tension can minimise how much of a liability the drivers are, and there's many members here, and knife users worldwide, who are perfectly comfortable with non-locking knife blades. Personally, I think the tool could do perfectly fine without locks, if done well.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 06:02:55 AM
Tofty, a really nice mod, I look forward seeing the real prototype!

Considering it is a scale/chassis change of material, 30g weight saving is still significant.  I wish someday we will live to see a new kind of material that could replace some of the metal we use in MT, now that would drastically save tons of weight.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 05:36:55 PM
Thanks everyone,

Here is the jigsaw adapter I mentioned previously:

Also here is what the version with one side of the larger tools removed would look like:

I think the next step will be to tidy up the central core part of the tool and reduce the number of screws that attach it to each scale from 3 to 2, as the pins are transferring most of the load. The screws are really just there to stop the scales bowing outward and slipping off the pins.

Considering it is a scale/chassis change of material, 30g weight saving is still significant. I wish someday we will live to see a new kind of material that could replace some of the metal we use in MT, now that would drastically save tons of weight.

I kind of cheated on the weight analysis by making all the short tools, the pivots, the back springs and the central core out of titanium. After I've cleaned up a few things I'll do a proper weight analysis; showing some of the components in different materials and how much difference that makes.

In terms of future material weight savings; there seem to be two likely paths:
1. Carbon nono structures like graphene and nano tubes, can create hugely strong and light weight materials, much more impressive than standard carbon fibres.
2. Metallic lattices and microlattices. Modern analysis software can help reduce the volume of materal needed to achieve a specific structural strength. 3D printing techniques can create an internal lattice that allows for internal pockets of space where only solid material was previously achievable.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 06:18:27 PM
That is just a master piece  :dd: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30