Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Misleading photo on ebay listings ?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Misleading photo on ebay listings ?
on: July 30, 2019, 12:42:47 PM
Is it just me, or do other MTo members get annoyed when a seller has a "stock" photo of a brand new tool as the lead photo for an ebay listing, but the actual tool being sold is most definitely not in pristine condition ?

I won't say it is fraud, because the rest of the photos show just how bad the tool is, and this seller usually does have plenty of photos so you can see what it is really like.

But IMO it is misleading at best, and I hate it !   >:(

Here are a couple of examples of the sort of listing that gets my goat (it is a fairly standard practice for this particular seller, so I'm happy to name & shame):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123855446627
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122368401169

Do other people think this is a form of bait & switch ?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:52:40 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

it Offline SirVicaLot

Re: Misleading photo on ebay listings ?
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 08:01:55 PM
I don‘t have an issue with that as long as there are photos of the actual tool and the description is correct. I bought 2 times from this seller and never had issues  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 08:18:24 PM
I often avoid the stock picture listings on purpose to avoid the regular traders...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 04:05:11 AM
64 views and only 2 opinions !  Surely some others must have an opinion (either way, I just wanted to get a feel for what people think). Feel free to disagree with me, I won't mind ....

BTW I have also purchased from this seller many times, with zero problems.  My issue is with them leading with a photo that is not of the actual tool.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 04:20:03 AM
I think this guy has a few accounts. He got my attention all the time, but I never bought from him, as I prefer mint/ new stuffs.

For those of his customers here, what sort of "free gifts" did he toss in your packages? And, did he "make you happy"?  :popcorn:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 04:45:24 AM
I haven't purchased anything from this seller, but I agree with you it can be misleading.  The seller isn't hiding anything,  but the pristine stock photo should be at least labeled as such to eliminate all confusion.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 05:59:16 PM
For those of his customers here, what sort of "free gifts" did he toss in your packages? And, did he "make you happy"?  :popcorn:

I don't recall any "free gifts" so if he did include any they weren't particularly memorable.

I got the tool I was expecting, in the condition shown in the other photos, so I was satisfied with the transaction.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:27:11 AM
I typically stay away from listing that show a stock photo.  It seems to be a lure.  While its nice there are actual pictures with descriptions that are correct, its not something I'd do to reel in interested parties.  I haven't bought off the bay of fleas in a while.  I normally sought out used tools that had the tool in the picture.  Thats my 2c. 
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 02:00:51 PM
I don't buy tools off ebay anymore. A lot of them are banned for sale on ebay UK because they are a knife.  Another case of the crazy knife laws here.

If I was buying then I would avoid one using stock photos.

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 05:01:59 PM
I bought several tools from this seller and is was always perfect, I can even recommend this seller. I love to business with him. I live in Belgium so when the value outside the package is above $23 I have to pay a lot extra to the Belgium customs so when I ask him to keep the value outside the package below or max $23 he does it so I have no problems with him.  :hatsoff:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD