Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerAccess

Chako · 12 · 3389

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
SOG PowerAccess
on: August 16, 2019, 01:55:22 AM
I found this in a small out of the way place called Tunnel Lake, which is a good distance up highway 129 to Chapleau Ontario Canada. I wasn't going to buy it seeing that I though I already had one...but I wasn't sure, and I wasn't going to make the trip again when I got home to check. Happy to say, this is a  new one for my collection.

After looking up the tool, I found out that I am a bit behind on my SOG collection. For example, I do not have:

1. PowerAccess Deluxe
2. PowerLitre
3. PowerPint
4. Snippet
5. Sync 1
6. Sync 2
7. Baton Q1
8. Baton Q2
9. Baton Q3
10. Baton Q4

:ahhh

Looks like I haven't watched SOG in the last few years and they got a load of new models.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline mikekoz

Re: SOG PowerAccess
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 05:31:49 AM
   Amazing collection! I just got a Power Access Deluxe. It looks quite a bit like yours except it is a tad larger and has scissors and a serrated blade, along with a standard one. It also has a 1/4 inch driver. SOG makes some odd tools. The first thing I noticed about the Deluxe was the size of the tool, and the tiny blades! I do not get it. Here we have a full sized multitool, but the blades look like they will vanish after a few sharpenings!  :think: :rofl:  Like all SOG multitools, the pliers are nice and smooth, and  the compound leverage feature is unique. I like the tool, but I think the design and quality are behind the other big names.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:47:32 AM
Wow! Apparently most people here do not visit the SOG forums!  :facepalm:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 11:57:39 AM
Wow! Apparently most people here do not visit the SOG forums!  :facepalm:
I used to love sogs but since the production moved to China rightly or wrongly I have gone right off them.!not helped by the fact I don’t find the newer models pleasing on the eye.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 07:03:53 PM
   I know what you mean. Last Friday I bought a Ozark Trail Multiforce multitool from Walmart. It was about $40.00 with tax, made in China, but priced as such. It is a much more impressive tool than my Power Access Deluxe which was almost twice the cost. I just looked at my older SOGS (The Powerlock and Powerassist), and even though I do not care for the tool covers, they seem to be much better made than the current models. I have a few more current models that I picked up over the last few years, and they are fine, but SOG seems to make them lighter just for the sake of doing so, and the tools just do not seem to give me a feeling of confidence as the older ones. They should bring their production back to the US, especially if they are a US based company. 

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 06:00:00 AM
I found this in a small out of the way place called Tunnel Lake, which is a good distance up highway 129 to Chapleau Ontario Canada. I wasn't going to buy it seeing that I though I already had one...but I wasn't sure, and I wasn't going to make the trip again when I got home to check. Happy to say, this is a  new one for my collection.

After looking up the tool, I found out that I am a bit behind on my SOG collection. For example, I do not have:

1. PowerAccess Deluxe
2. PowerLitre
3. PowerPint
4. Snippet
5. Sync 1
6. Sync 2
7. Baton Q1
8. Baton Q2
9. Baton Q3
10. Baton Q4

:ahhh

Looks like I haven't watched SOG in the last few years and they got a load of new models.  :think:

Nice addition, Chako! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline brab

• Knife freak since childhood.
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 06:42:04 AM
I don't know whether or not this has already been mentioned or not but you don't get something for nothing and the mechanical advantage of the SOG pliers is gained by sacrificing displacement.  In other words, to gain the 2 to 1 mechanical advantage, the jaws open only half as much as an equivalent multi-tool with no mechanical advantage.  Try clamping a 3/8 hex nut with a SOG multi-tool and see how far apart the handles are; so far apart that you can hardly wrap your hand around the handles.  The incorporation of a 4 bar link, similar to vise grips seems to me the only viable mechanism to obtain the kind of clamping force SOG advertises, or a fold out handle extension.  Of course if you're really in need of a hand tool to break a 3/8 or even 5/16 bolt, you probably wouldn't use a multi-tool anyway, unless it's all you have.  All that said, I really like the design of the SOG Power Access and carry one along with my Leatherman Wave.
WHB Sr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 11:51:28 AM
Welcome to :MTO: brab :cheers:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 07:18:35 PM
I like my PowerAccess quite a lot. It's a very nice EDC tool, lightweight with a good tool load out. Compared to the entry-level offerings from Gerber (Suspension NXT) and Leatherman (Wingman), there really is no contest, this SOG is the winner for me. My file even works well on steel, aluminum, and wood. However, using it on stainless steel will work, but it will damage the file. (My Gerber MP600 and Center drive file, on the other hand, will file down stainless steel just fine, and not be damaged in the process).  Overall I think it's a great lightweight carry. I just did a bunch of wiring and plumbing in my garage, and though I did hit the limitation of the tool for large nuts (electrical box strain relief), and was a little scared to do heavy prying with the thin driver, overall I'm extremely pleased with the tool. I think it has replaced my Gerber Octane as my lightweight carry.

It's cool you brought up the Multiforce. The Multiforce is one of my favorite tools, and it's a great for a heavy carry day. Bang for buck it's $100 cheaper than a similarly-equipped Wave, and I actually like the design better. When I need needle nosed heavy-duty pliers and stout tools, it's the one I grab.

Charles.

co Offline SAKfriend

• New User
  • Spartan black PS
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 07:31:09 PM
Hi,

I was wishing to have a SOG and found a Poweraccess on sale in Ebay with pouch, bits and a samll centi lI knife  for US27, the only issue was that the blister has a note of made in China, so I sent an email to SOG and they confirm this is one of their products sold iin Cotsco, so I am happy and waiting to receive it next week.

Any comments about SOG products made in China? are they lower quaity compared with made in USA? :multi:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 08:11:54 PM
I don’t have any clue about the comparison between the us and China made sog, but I can confirm better quality than the gerber nxt and wingman.

Charles.

co Offline SAKfriend

• New User
  • Spartan black PS
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 08:16:36 PM
I don’t have any clue about the comparison between the us and China made sog, but I can confirm better quality than the gerber nxt and wingman.

Charles.
  Tks Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69