Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How often do you use loctite / thread locker?

MMR · 18 · 701

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
on: August 16, 2019, 10:07:33 PM
Just out of curiosity; how often do you use loctite / thread locker?

I use it on most of my projects, I used a lot in the past on my bicycle, and currently on my drone, a camera stand and even on computers and here and there on my Jeep. But whenever I have asked other people, it seems like no one really uses it very often, even people who are professional mechanics (surprisingly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: How often do you use loctite / thread locker?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:33:27 PM
I use it for a lot of nuts and bolts when working on cars and motorbikes
Quite a lot of car manuals recommend using thread lock on bolts  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 12:12:13 AM
I've used it quite a lot earlier on bigger stuff, and then usually the version that is possible to open up again if you really need to. (If I need truly permanent then a little touch with a welder tends to make it stick for good).

When it is bolt with a matching nut I'd usually just use a locking nut instead.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 02:52:06 AM
Personally these days, not very often.

When I worked in manufacturing, we used it on almost every bolt we touched.  The goal was to make sure the piping or equipment could be disassembled at a later date without having to cut the bolts off.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 10:14:44 AM
I used to do RC racing, and since most of the material on the chassis is Titanium/Aluminum/Carbon fiber/Graphite, we need to use thread lock to secure every screw that is loosen before every run.  The vibration will eventually loosen every screws on board if you are not careful.

Nowadays, I only need it when it is for knife maintenance.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 01:59:05 PM
Part of my daily life as a Mechanic

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 02:23:59 PM
I used to do RC racing, and since most of the material on the chassis is Titanium/Aluminum/Carbon fiber/Graphite, we need to use thread lock to secure every screw that is loosen before every run.  The vibration will eventually loosen every screws on board if you are not careful.

Nowadays, I only need it when it is for knife maintenance.

I think it depends on which loctite / thread locker you use. I use medium strength threadlocker (blue stuff) on my drone (DJI Inspire), primarily for the carbon fiber / polycarbonate propeller mounts that bolt directly on to the motors, I haven’t had any issues with them coming loose, and I have flown in some pretty hefty winds.

From what I have experienced, the green stuff is the stuff that comes loose (not sure I get the point of the green stuff to be honest as it doesn’t seem to really do anything?).....the blue stuff (aka medium strength) doesn’t come loose, I have been using the blue stuff for years and I have not had any issues with it at least, and it’s fairly easy to undo the bolts/ screws again without damaging them.....the red stuff is basically like putting super glue on the threads, it’s close to impossible to break the bolts / screws loose if the red stuff has been applied, usually ends up rounding the bolt / screw heads off when trying to get them out.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 02:35:01 PM
I have tried different brands as well, I have found this to be a good cost alternative to the loctite branded ones.

*threadlocker product placement...in 3...2....1...*

“V-tech ‘yo!”

As far as I can tell it works just as well (if not better) than the loctite branded stuff. By testing them side-by-side I have found that Threadlocker seems to work better in humid climates, loctite doesn’t prevent the threads from rusting, threadlocker seems to do that, also after a long wet / cold winter, I have seen loctite drying out and becoming flaky, where as threadlocker stayed  “rubber” like.

*post not sponsored by threadlocker*

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 06:10:59 PM
Never used it outside of a work environment. I have occasionally used wood glue or varnish to gum up threads a bit on threads I might wish to undo again later, or superglue when I wanted a more permanent fastening.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 06:43:02 PM
Never used it outside of a work environment. I have occasionally used wood glue or varnish to gum up threads a bit on threads I might wish to undo again later, or superglue when I wanted a more permanent fastening.
I learnt how permanent superglue is the hard way.  ::) :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 05:14:52 AM

I think it depends on which loctite / thread locker you use. I use medium strength threadlocker (blue stuff) on my drone (DJI Inspire), primarily for the carbon fiber / polycarbonate propeller mounts that bolt directly on to the motors, I haven’t had any issues with them coming loose, and I have flown in some pretty hefty winds.

From what I have experienced, the green stuff is the stuff that comes loose (not sure I get the point of the green stuff to be honest as it doesn’t seem to really do anything?).....the blue stuff (aka medium strength) doesn’t come loose, I have been using the blue stuff for years and I have not had any issues with it at least, and it’s fairly easy to undo the bolts/ screws again without damaging them.....the red stuff is basically like putting super glue on the threads, it’s close to impossible to break the bolts / screws loose if the red stuff has been applied, usually ends up rounding the bolt / screw heads off when trying to get them out.

I agree blue is best for things you want to be able to take apart again.  Red is best for things you want never to come apart, though can be taken apart if heat is applied.  No experience with green.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 12:13:59 PM

Good point!  The funny part about how RC 'touring' racers using their loctite is that we want something secure enough for a few runs, but nothing permanent so we can excess any part to repair or replace.  I love using the Tamiya anaerobic gel, it never loosen due to vibration, but everything is easy to take apart with a firm twist.  Offroad racing is another story I heard, since their cars need to do jumps and bump around a lot during races, they probably use something stronger like the blue stuff.

I flew Phantom and Mavic most of the time, and probably will use blue stuff on drone if I have to, never would want any part of it fall apart in the mid-air.  :D :cheers:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 06:04:56 PM
Almost never, although I have a bottle of Pink (easy removal) for stuff at home. Ive also used wood glue in the past on wood screws, usually for repairs on wood parts that probably should just be replaced.

We use the regular stuff on every screw at work (manufacturing & product development)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 05:26:13 AM
I've used Loctite to put shoes back together  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 06:08:01 PM
Very rarely these days, I prefer to use locking nuts.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 06:59:06 PM
I'm much more likely to use the "opposite" product:
- Steve

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 02:42:43 AM
I'm much more likely to use the "opposite" product:

It's funny how my bottle of antiseize looks like a big steel pipe  :think:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 05:03:43 AM
Not often. Probably should use it more often than I do. :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69