Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 H1.

Aloha · 66 · 2480

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 H1.
Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 04:06:29 PM
 :ahhh :like: :tu:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 03:09:29 PM
Labor Day weekend over and the weather was great.  We got out early yesterday.   It was overcast as usual with the sun coming out by 830am.   I brought the JM2 to aid in cutting up plastic and whatever random things we find on the beach left by beach goers.  There are always others thankfully doing the same but sadly people forget/leave trash especially on a busy weekend.  We walk the shoreline about 5 miles out then back.  The surfers were already in the water when we got there at 7am. 

We picked up a lot of glass and plastic.  Theres some really random things left on the beach.  The JM2 never broke a sweat but thats no surprise.  It was in its element at the beach.  We don't carry a large bag so we like to cut up larger things so we can fit more. 

I totally forgot to take pics of the JM2 sandy  :facepalm: but like usual I only rinsed it off and let it air dry.  Lots more scratches due to sand but the edge is still sharp an zero signs of any corrosion.

In case you're wondering, no I didn't use the tip of the blade to write in the sand.  I used a stick.   

IMG_7836.jpg
* IMG_7836.jpg (Filesize: 288.7 KB)
IMG_7832.jpg
* IMG_7832.jpg (Filesize: 102.14 KB)
IMG_7829.jpg
* IMG_7829.jpg (Filesize: 154.68 KB)
IMG_7825.jpg
* IMG_7825.jpg (Filesize: 248.92 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 03:22:01 PM
What things this knife has seen!  From Boulder, Colorado to Boston, Mass to central Pennsylvania to sunny SoCal :D. Thanks for helping keep the beaches clean Aloha!
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 03:38:22 PM
 :iagree:
That JM2 is a traveler for sure!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 03:47:48 PM
 :D this knife has been to some cool places.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: September 20, 2019, 04:45:10 PM
I think the more knives we have the more we try to find purpose for those knives.  I'm sure grandpa just used the knife he had in his pocket for whatever he needed.  It sure shows when we see grandpas knife thats for sure.  I have a lot of knives and so when carrying the JM2 I found myself thinking about what I was cutting rather than I just needed to cut.  Being a fully serrated rust resistant knife we think its use is best in a environment where water is present.  The name however is entirely opposite to that unless I missed something. 

No I actually didn't miss anything.  I think the H1 steel leads some to believe this knife is more at home in a wet environment and thats not wrong however its design was to use in a plane.  Its interesting how those of us or maybe its just me decide how to use a knife.  Maybe its that I have too many  :dunno: :whistle:

So I've been using this knife everywhere.  I used it in my kitchen to cut darn near anything that I'd use a knife for and no surprise its a performer.  Yeah I have the right knife for culinary use but why then heck not use this awesome knife.  I also used it in my yard.  I've cut stray grass along my fence line and even trimmed a few small branches off my apple tree.  What a slicer this one is .  No I have not dried it but I have washed it since I've decided to use it in my kitchen. 

No its not the best culinary blade but I wasn't put off at all.  I want to see if this steel performs as Spyderco says.  Its exposure to my salty location and the myriad of liquids it'll see in my use should be an good test rather than just letting it soak in a glass of salty water.

I need to remember to take pics along the way so sorry for that.  I'll be home today cutting more stray grass thats wet from the salty dew and I'll continue to trim some branches from my apple tree.  YES there are better tools but like grandpa I'm using the tool I have. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 06:55:26 PM
Forgot to mention that last night when getting my grill ready I used the JM2 to cut the bag of charcoal down so I could use the paper to light the coals. 
IMG_7965.jpg
* IMG_7965.jpg (Filesize: 239.74 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 11:12:01 PM
I agree 💯 with you Aloha.  Most of my family packed Barlow's and nothing else.  My father in law carries a Classic unless he's tinkering, then out comes his Sideclip. 
You're exactly right about the name.  This knife was designed to cut paratroopers whose static lines got caught in the works, by the Jumpmaster.  This situation is known as towjumper, where the paratrooper is being pulled along by the aircraft.
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 01:56:21 AM
I think the more knives we have the more we try to find purpose for those knives.  I'm sure grandpa just used the knife he had in his pocket for whatever he needed.  It sure shows when we see grandpas knife thats for sure.  I have a lot of knives and so when carrying the JM2 I found myself thinking about what I was cutting rather than I just needed to cut.  Being a fully serrated rust resistant knife we think its use is best in a environment where water is present.  The name however is entirely opposite to that unless I missed something. 

No I actually didn't miss anything.  I think the H1 steel leads some to believe this knife is more at home in a wet environment and thats not wrong however its design was to use in a plane.  Its interesting how those of us or maybe its just me decide how to use a knife.  Maybe its that I have too many  :dunno: :whistle:

So I've been using this knife everywhere.  I used it in my kitchen to cut darn near anything that I'd use a knife for and no surprise its a performer.  Yeah I have the right knife for culinary use but why then heck not use this awesome knife.  I also used it in my yard.  I've cut stray grass along my fence line and even trimmed a few small branches off my apple tree.  What a slicer this one is .  No I have not dried it but I have washed it since I've decided to use it in my kitchen. 

No its not the best culinary blade but I wasn't put off at all.  I want to see if this steel performs as Spyderco says.  Its exposure to my salty location and the myriad of liquids it'll see in my use should be an good test rather than just letting it soak in a glass of salty water.

I need to remember to take pics along the way so sorry for that.  I'll be home today cutting more stray grass thats wet from the salty dew and I'll continue to trim some branches from my apple tree.  YES there are better tools but like grandpa I'm using the tool I have. 

Looking forward to the next set of photos  :popcorn:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 10:39:56 AM
Not a Jumpmaster, but also H1........Pacific Salt served for everything from food prep to personal grooming this past weekend  :facepalm:

:salute:

In case you're wondering, no I didn't use the tip of the blade to write in the sand.  I used a stick.   

Reminded me of the Tramontinas that are a favourite bait knife here.....best way to clean it was to cut into the beach sand a few times  :facepalm:
 :rofl:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 03:35:27 PM
Forgot to mention that last night when getting my grill ready I used the JM2 to cut the bag of charcoal down so I could use the paper to light the coals.
Oh boy, when I first saw your photo I thought you broke the knife!  :sa: :dwts:
Then I read the post!  :woohoo:  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 04:27:32 PM
@GG, grooming?   :D.  The sand would scratch the heck out of the JM2 but it'd survive.  The edge is sharp and has remained so since my initial use.  I'm going to push this edge harder.  I am not entirely sure how to work harden it other than "abuse"  :dunno:.   Now I say that reluctantly as I don't abuse things.  I understand how work hardening occurs in its simplest definition but in everyday use I cannot see how this would occur on a knife edge? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: September 24, 2019, 04:28:34 PM
Oh boy, when I first saw your photo I thought you broke the knife!  :sa: :dwts:
Then I read the post!  :woohoo:  :rofl:

:D Now that would have been crazy right?  The call to Spyderco CS would have been interesting.  Hi, I snapped my JM2 cutting into a bag of charcoal  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: September 24, 2019, 05:07:14 PM
:D Now that would have been crazy right?  The call to Spyderco CS would have been interesting.  Hi, I snapped my JM2 cutting into a bag of charcoal  :rofl:.
:rofl:
That it would have! Glad all is well  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: September 24, 2019, 07:51:20 PM
Along my fence line there is grass that grows that I usually just pull out.  This grass send runner so sometimes its a tug o war.  Having a blade is handy and its normally my Sodbuster.  I decided to go with the JM2 as we know serrations are excellent in fibrous material. 

I compost the grass but I also need to cut it down to help the process.  I had some drying so my mixture of dry/green was good.  The JM2 effortlessly ate thru the dried grass. 

Its really no surprise it would handle this chore.  I will use this knife as the task presents itself. 
IMG_8030.jpg
* IMG_8030.jpg (Filesize: 400.22 KB)
IMG_8029.jpg
* IMG_8029.jpg (Filesize: 365.73 KB)
IMG_8028.jpg
* IMG_8028.jpg (Filesize: 326.84 KB)
IMG_8027.jpg
* IMG_8027.jpg (Filesize: 363.15 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: September 24, 2019, 08:36:28 PM
A usage for sure!  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 25, 2019, 09:28:48 AM
  I understand how work hardening occurs in its simplest definition but in everyday use I cannot see how this would occur on a knife edge?

I've been told grinding in the serrations work hardens the H1, that's why it's the edge of choice when it comes to H1 Salts.....

My experience has been it reacts very well to a polisher......basically stropping, and that brings back a sticky edge.

H1 is low in the edge retention rankings, it will get dull rather quickly, but the other advantages make up for that  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: September 25, 2019, 03:17:40 PM
Appreciate the feedback.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: September 30, 2019, 06:00:40 AM
Busy weekend for the JM2.  It was dulled pretty good and while I am pretty decent at sharpening I had some trouble with the serrations.  Its sharp but certainly not factory or what I can do with a plain edge.  Its one heck of a cutter tho and its taken a beating so far with not a speck of rust. 
IMG_8090.jpg
* IMG_8090.jpg (Filesize: 341.21 KB)
IMG_8089.jpg
* IMG_8089.jpg (Filesize: 289.42 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 30, 2019, 11:18:46 AM
Spyderco SharpMaker sorts out those serrations quick-quick.......I'd own one if it wasn't so bloody expensive :facepalm:

I'm sick & tired of the Skyline not deploying properly, so the Salt One is back in my pocket  :salute:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: September 30, 2019, 02:51:14 PM
Busy weekend for the JM2.  It was dulled pretty good and while I am pretty decent at sharpening I had some trouble with the serrations.  Its sharp but certainly not factory or what I can do with a plain edge.  Its one heck of a cutter tho and its taken a beating so far with not a speck of rust.
Glad to see it is still hanging in there! Excellent usage  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: September 30, 2019, 02:58:20 PM
I have a Sharpmaker.  It's likely skill or lack thereof.  I did get it sharp so maybe I'm being a harsh.  This knife just cuts and cuts. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #52 on: September 30, 2019, 08:19:24 PM
 :like: Outstanding!!
Glad to see it is still hanging in there! Excellent usage  :cheers:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: September 30, 2019, 08:43:06 PM
Hey Barry.  Yeah this knife is great.  Super happy you passed it on to me.  Its such a work horse when not feeling like it has to be a marine or wet condition knife.  Its a knife and it performs wonderfully as such. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #54 on: September 30, 2019, 09:03:19 PM
That's great!  I'm glad it found a great home.  I love seeing the adventures it's on.
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #55 on: October 07, 2019, 06:53:26 AM
Your thread has inspired me to try a Challenge with my Autonomy, Aloha.  I'd like to put it thru its paces and see what is has.  It's a Salt model, and is my EDC at work, so I think it'll be up to it.  I just have to see if I have November open :D
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: October 07, 2019, 03:23:59 PM
Great looking knife.  While I don't always post my knife usage I always use whatever knife I have on me for whatever needs cutting.  What I mean to say is, when I got the JM2 I had an idea of what I'd use it for and did so.  Then I realized I was reaching for my MT blade for other things.  The cutting chores at work aren't precision cuts so it made no sense to not use the JM2.  I get that some like to use different knives for different tasks and I'm like that to an extent as well.  What I find fun is using the fixed blade I have on me for everything.  True the JM2 is not the best kitchen knife  :D but it does the job. 

I am finding the steel is on the softer side but thats ok too.  Having just got the BM Contego in S30V has not made the JM2 sit the bench at all.  I'm loving it more and more and the lack of care is wonderful.  I use it and put it away.  When it needs a touch up I do so but worrying about drying it off is never on my mind.  Leaving it in my truck and not worrying about the salt air is not a problem at all so far.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: August 29, 2022, 07:11:46 PM
Holy smokes its been a while since my last update. 

:oops:

Truth is, not a lot has changed.  I still very much love this knife and its a flipping machine.  Not a spec or hint of rusting.  It's lived in that same tool bucket over the years.  Its my work horse fixed blade.  Its picked up more scratches on the blade but I think it looks great still.  Its got a few touch ups, I've even considered sending it to Spyderco for a sharpen but I always manage to get it up to snuff. 

I'm not surprised how this knife has held up.  H1 is no joke.  If you are looking for a knife that will NOT rust then H1 is your knife steel. 

I'm bummed I didn't keep up as regular as I intended.  I can say the adventures never stopped.  I use the heck out of this fixed blade weekly.  Its been one knife that I can honestly say impressed the heck out of me. 

* IMG_6650.jpg (Filesize: 162.42 KB)

* IMG_6651.jpg (Filesize: 168.65 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #58 on: August 30, 2022, 08:40:05 AM
Glad to see you're still running it through its paces. :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #59 on: August 30, 2022, 08:42:02 AM
Good for you Aloha!  I love H1 steel.  That Jumpmaster is a beast, but it carries so nicely.
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD