Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Running Lean: An Experiment

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Re: Running Lean: An Experiment
Reply #30 on: August 29, 2019, 02:25:04 AM
However will you survive on that meager amount of stuff? 

(    He stated  sarcastically  )

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: November 01, 2019, 09:44:33 PM
Two month update:

Since I stashed the bulk of the tools away, I've not had to break into the "archived stash". More tellingly, I've hardly swapped much between the stuff I left out.

Swiss Knives:

Deluxe Tinker - This has done the bulk of the work, and has done a sterling job. Certainly the most used item of everything I left out.
Voyager Lite - Taken and used on a 4 day trip to the coast. Best choice for the job.
Cybertool 41 - Needed the screwdriver once. Other than that, it's not come out of the drawer.
Evowood 14 - Not used. Very surprising

Pliers tools:

Spirit X - Taken on the 4 day seaside jaunt, but not used. Used twice about the house.
MP426 Mod - Carried two or three times with a traditional slippie. Seems huge when pocket carried now, even though I carried this or something larger for years. Occasionally goes in a jacket pocket if visiting family or friends. Used a couple of times to clear hair from the bathtub plughole.
Sideclip - Not used or carried. Quite surprised by this, as I expected it to be the most used.
"Toolbox" Pliers Multitools - used the shears on the DEsTroyer Mod to cut some leather. Others not needed so far.

Slippies:

Sheffield Lambsfoot - Carried once, maybe.
Case Barlow - Not carried
Rough Rider Canoe - Carried three or four times.
RR Baby Copperhead - Not carried
Cheeta Barlow - Not carried

OHO Folders and Fixed Blades:

The two Byrd folders haven't left the drawer. The self made fixed blades have both had good workouts breaking down heavy boxes that my musical instruments arrived in. Why use a folder, when you can use a fixed blade?

Small stuff:

Stainless AAA light - not carried.
Stainless Wenger PTC - not carried
Neck lanyard (tools) - only carried/worn about three times. Very surprising.
Neck lanyard (mag glass and med tag) - took the mag glass off, as I got annoyed with it rattling against the Med ID when walking. Trialling it on the keyring.
Keyring Tools - Dime used frequently when I'd forgot to put the Deluxe Tinker in the pocket. Light used occasionally.

So overall, I've only used about half the tools I left out, and from a usage perspective, haven't missed any of the archived tools at all. Still another 10 months to go though.

I still don't have any yearnings to sell that stuff though. I know there's some excellent tools in there, most of which would be incredibly hard to replace. I think there might actually be some sentimental attachment to them (another surprise), in terms of having done the mods, or knowing that they saved the day a few (many) times in the past.

I did think about pre-placing some of them in coats and bags that get occasional use, but I've been quite sensible in my pocket checks before going anywhere anyway, and it would be a nightmare to ferret around trying to find specific tools if I need to in future. I also thought about putting one in the gig bags for my instruments, but there aren't any I'd be happy cutting guitar strings with, I don't think. So we'll be continuing on the current bearing for now.

It does feel odd, not having carried favourite tools, especially coming back to this thread, and thinking about what hasn't been used. Yet going back to swapping and changing for the sake of it, just seems... empty.

Onwards...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 02, 2019, 03:49:32 AM
It sounds to me you could get by with basically the Deluxe Tinker, a flashlight and the Spirit X somewhere in a drawer should you need it. Sounds like a pretty good setup there  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: November 02, 2019, 04:14:09 AM
For most days, I think I probably could  :tu:

Not sure I want to go that far though  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 03:48:31 PM
Thanks for the update.  Deluxe Tinker for the win.  Nice to hear the old friend has come and proved itself.  Once we get past the "what if" I do find I have carried less. 

Do you still want to carry certain items just because?  I find myself just enjoying certain items so I carry them and if I use it great, if not its not regrettable I carried it.

I become accustomed to certain items and their placement on person.  When I forget or decide not to carry a certain item I have a moment of "oh no".  It usually passes quite fast.  When I stopped carrying a full size MT I had those moments more often.  Over time realizing I was not using the tool as much for the "what if" scenario it was easier and easier to not carry.  My Squirt was handling most if not all I needed anyway. 

I look forward to more follow ups as time moves on.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 04:18:04 PM
Very cool thread.

Feel like we have the same taste in tools.

Well played Sir.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: November 03, 2019, 09:06:31 PM
Very cool thread.

Feel like we have the same taste in tools.

Well played Sir.

Thanks Harley  :cheers:

Do you still want to carry certain items just because?  I find myself just enjoying certain items so I carry them and if I use it great, if not its not regrettable I carried it.

Yes and no...

Everything that I still own, is stuff I would use and carry, or has definite potential for home use (the ones I keep in the toolbag). However, before I started this thread, I felt like everything was being carried just because I ought to.  It felt like I should use stuff or sell it, and didn't want to sell it, so there was a nagging obligation to keep swapping stuff around to justify it's retention, rather than me enjoying doing so.

Dumping everything in a shoebox out of sight, has liberated me from that. Now I just grab whatever I had yesterday, unless there's a specific need for change. That feels much better. Or at least, it still feels better right now. I did say that I'd do this for a full year though, so there's plenty of time for attitudes to change.

If I get to the end of the 12 months, and I've still not opened that box, it doesn't mean everything that's in there can get sold off. All those items work really well for me, or at least used to (I still see in them what I needed when I was active/working, rather than seeing what I need now) and there are may items which would be incredibly difficult to replace later. What I probably ought to do instead, is make some kind of estimate of how many tools I'm liable to break, lose, or wear out, and keep that many. Seems foolish somehow to sell stuff now, that I won't be able to buy back later if I need it - but at the same time, I know I'm unlikely to break, lose, or wear out, everything that's in there. Hopefully this exercise will lend a little clarity to that.

I don't have to worry about it all for another 10 months though.  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 06:08:48 AM
I do think it will lead to clarity. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 08:17:10 AM
Deluxe Tinker - This has done the bulk of the work, and has done a sterling job. Certainly the most used item of everything I left out.

I love my Deluxe Tinker. :like:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 05:15:47 PM
AW, I think you’ve hit upon a couple of broad (if not universal) MT truths:

(1)  Traditional slippies are neat and fun, but from a purely utilitarian standpoint, they don’t do anything a SAK can’t do, and a SAK provides additional capabilities that the traditional slipjoint does not, in a comparably sized package.

(2)  Unless working (@ work, or around the home, yard, farm,etc.), full-size pliers-based MT is really more than what is needed (again, from a purely utilitarian viewpoint).

(3)  There is nothing wrong with acquiring/owning/carrying (additional) tools simply for enjoyment.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: November 05, 2019, 10:18:56 AM
Thanks Nate. Good points, well made, although I would like to expand on them slightly.

(1)  Traditional slippies are neat and fun, but from a purely utilitarian standpoint, they don’t do anything a SAK can’t do, and a SAK provides additional capabilities that the traditional slipjoint does not, in a comparably sized package.

Where traditional slippies work well for me, is complimenting a knifeless plier tool. I'd put together several knifeless mods in the past, which had everything else i'd need in a day, and all they needed to round off the package was a blade.

(2)  Unless working (@ work, or around the home, yard, farm,etc.), full-size pliers-based MT is really more than what is needed (again, from a purely utilitarian viewpoint).

Which is where my reply to point one falls down  :facepalm:

I can and have made up everything that's needed to compliment a slippie with what's on my keys, or that neck lanyard. What has stopped me, is that the Deluxe Tinker is already out from the day before, and there's simply no need to put that away and get something else out.

Not sure if that's laziness or pragmatism.

(3)  There is nothing wrong with acquiring/owning/carrying (additional) tools simply for enjoyment.

... so long as it does deliver that enjoyment.  :-\

Having stuff in a drawer never made me happy. Using it did. That usage has gone, and I don't know how much is likely to come back. That changes things. I guess I'm trying to figure out by how much.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 10:20:48 PM
Five month update:

Deluxe Tinker
Cybertool 41
Rough Rider canoe
Knifeless MP400
Gerber Dime (on house keys)
One self made sheath knife.

I think these are all I've used or carried for the last three months. If these haven't done the job, I've reached for dedicated tools instead. Most of the time, it's only the Deluxe Tinker and house keys that go in the pocket, and it's very rare that these leave me wanting.

Actually, there's one missing off the list. I keep an 84mm Tourist in the kitchen drawer (my first ever Swiss knife). That gets a lot of use in the kitchen, opening tins and packaging, but never gets carried, as I don't carry Swiss knives without scissors.

With those few tools, I've done pretty much everything I've needed to, from musical instrument repairs (harmonica reeds and valves, machine head adjustments, gig bag repairs), to unblocking sinks, breaking down large boxes, fitting a new wireless card in the laptop, and all the other little life challenges that arose. I haven't missed not using or carrying other stuff one bit. Even on Bah Humbug Day, helping the young neices get their various pressies out and set up, the Deluxe Tinker did it all.

Still 7 months to go, but I expect to be rather underwhelmed when faced with that shoebox full of stuff again.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: January 27, 2020, 10:33:36 PM
Welcome back  Al !    :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 10:58:17 PM
The old adage of less is more.  :hatsoff:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 11:30:37 PM
Welcome back  Al !    :cheers:

:salute: For the most part, my life has moved on, but I'll keep popping back for the occasional visit, Steve.  :)

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #45 on: January 28, 2020, 04:59:47 PM
I think the self analysis is interesting since most of us could use it but rarely do it seriously. Maybe you should have offered yourself to a shrink for a study and made some coin off this?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 06:24:15 PM
I think the self analysis is interesting since most of us could use it but rarely do it seriously. Maybe you should have offered yourself to a shrink for a study and made some coin off this?

Interesting idea :D  But I think most people in that profession would be far more interested in why I ever bought more than one knife in the first place, and I might even end up having to use my (partial) training to fix the shrink  :P

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: January 29, 2020, 04:47:36 PM
Great to see you checking in.  Hope all is well my friend  :salute:.  Interesting follow up, I find it neat how the Deluxe Tinker has earned its keep.  Revisiting tools is something I've done over the years.  Its a great way to deal with current needs/wants.  Tools that sat with no job when life presented tasks during those stages find new life in our current situations. 

Be well my friend.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: January 31, 2020, 08:42:21 AM
Great to see you checking in.  Hope all is well my friend  :salute:.  Interesting follow up, I find it neat how the Deluxe Tinker has earned its keep.  Revisiting tools is something I've done over the years.  Its a great way to deal with current needs/wants.  Tools that sat with no job when life presented tasks during those stages find new life in our current situations. 

Be well my friend.

Thanks buddy.  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: February 24, 2020, 09:00:39 PM
Six months in, and the first faintest whisper of yearning for what's stashed away. I did a bit of touching up of the edge on a few slippies yesterday (after carrying the Deluxe Tinker for ages), and despite having left myself five out, I kind of wished I'd left out one of the equal end or sleeveboard penknives. I didn't dig out and open the box though. I just pocketted the smallest knife I'd left out.

So,stick to one knife and be quite content, or have five in front of you and want something else. Why is that not surprising?  ::)

I touched up the blades lightly on the other Swiss knives I'd left out, but didn't feel the need to replace the Deluxe Tinker as the primary carry. Seems I can be more settled with the Swiss knives than the traditionals.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #50 on: February 24, 2020, 10:26:59 PM
Thanks for the update  :hatsoff:

A SAK can just do so much more than a folding knife. My folders are getting bored in the drawer as well.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: February 24, 2020, 10:33:47 PM
I did end putting one of the traditionals in my pocket instead of the Deluxe Tinker today, but it's the first time in quite a while that I have.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 24, 2020, 11:23:16 PM

Having stuff in a drawer never made me happy. Using it did. That usage has gone, and I don't know how much is likely to come back. That changes things. I guess I'm trying to figure out by how much.

This is the key. 

With the number of MTs most of us have, we could use a different one each week of the year (and that's being generous).  That can be 51 weeks a year, every year, that every other MT is, for all intents and purposes, sitting in a drawer.  I last counted 11 SAKs that I get use out of.  Throw in my LM Wave in for simplicity's sake, and each one of these tools is sitting in a drawer for 11 months this year. 

Our MTs are jealous mistresses.
I like to get the most out of any one of my MTs, and for that reason, fewer is better. 

there's probably nothing we can't get done with any one of the (decent) MT's we have. 

I grew up hearing that there's nothing a single blade folder can't do.  But in reality, as others have said, theres nothing that a slipjoint can do that a SAK can't.

Anything aside from a handful of MTs for any of us is pure enjoyment - and that's absolutely fine. AW - some of those slipjoints you have would go in my pocket just for "good luck".  Your update from November 19 is interesting... noting how often you actually use the tools. 

I personally like to see my tools put into use a lot.  Maybe because I'm not such a handy person like many of you, I've been keeping my tools to a minimum, to get maximum use out of them. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 25, 2020, 12:24:55 AM
This is the key. 

With the number of MTs most of us have, we could use a different one each week of the year (and that's being generous).  That can be 51 weeks a year, every year, that every other MT is, for all intents and purposes, sitting in a drawer.  I last counted 11 SAKs that I get use out of.  Throw in my LM Wave in for simplicity's sake, and each one of these tools is sitting in a drawer for 11 months this year. 

Our MTs are jealous mistresses.
I like to get the most out of any one of my MTs, and for that reason, fewer is better. 

there's probably nothing we can't get done with any one of the (decent) MT's we have. 

I grew up hearing that there's nothing a single blade folder can't do.  But in reality, as others have said, theres nothing that a slipjoint can do that a SAK can't.

Anything aside from a handful of MTs for any of us is pure enjoyment - and that's absolutely fine. AW - some of those slipjoints you have would go in my pocket just for "good luck".  Your update from November 19 is interesting... noting how often you actually use the tools. 

I personally like to see my tools put into use a lot.  Maybe because I'm not such a handy person like many of you, I've been keeping my tools to a minimum, to get maximum use out of them.

I can't fault you on any of that.

I do like traditional knives, that's where my journey started, and many of them were made in my home town. Also, while I do love the quality and capability of the Swiss stuff, the traditionals have an additional allure that's somewhat lacking in the Vics and Wengers, not just with the bolsters and diverse scales, but the diversity of patterns and blade styles. I wouldn't want to be without any Swiss knives, but wouldn't want to be without a few traditionals either.

That aside, you're quite right that whenever you use one tool, that's a missed opportunity to shine for all the others. Most of my full sized multitools have been modded to knifeless, so if we ignore those for the moment and just look at pocket knives (Swiss, traditional, and modern), I probably own about 50, not counting teeny keyring sized stuff. Then there's the fixed blades on top of that, and the few multitools which are bladed.

However, I got to a level when downsizing (I'm down to well under half what I used to own), where identifying stuff I didn't want anymore, got a lot harder. I don't get overly sentimental about inanimate objects, but there was a lot of stuff that I thought I'd miss if I parted with it. This exercise is to see just how much I'd miss what. If when I open the box after 12 months, I identify 10 to get rid of that I'm certain I won't miss, that's progress I'll be happy with. Any more than that is a bonus.

Ideally, putting aside attachment to individual items, I want a humble array of choices to work from, much like I've left out for use now, and a few spares tucked away somewhere in case of loss/damage. I'd rather do that than have to buy a replacement later, as most of the stuff I own is modified and/or discontinued, and replacement later will be difficult and expensive. I just want to open the draw to swap a knife for something else, and see a sensible amount of tools staring back at me, instead of the well over 100 items that were there a few years ago ... but without having bouts of sellers remorse.

It's a balancing act, and slowly but surely, I'm heading in the right direction.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 25, 2020, 01:29:30 AM
I can't fault you on any of that.

I do like traditional knives, that's where my journey started, and many of them were made in my home town. Also, while I do love the quality and capability of the Swiss stuff, the traditionals have an additional allure that's somewhat lacking in the Vics and Wengers, not just with the bolsters and diverse scales, but the diversity of patterns and blade styles. I wouldn't want to be without any Swiss knives, but wouldn't want to be without a few traditionals either.

:cheers:

One of the reasons I am drawn to SAKs, and can't seem to get the small bladed ones (Champ, Spartan, Tinker) out of my head, is the allure with traditional.  I have one that may very well have been made in your home town - looks like the one you have pictured on post #6, just above the gypsy/fruit knife on the left - mine has a bit of a recurve on it.  It's what got me "into" slipjoints as well - American ones, out of convenience - but I lost an American one at a time I didn't have much money, and never felt right enough to replace it.  Now that I have the means, I can't find a traditional stainless Sheffield slippie anywhere on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. 
In truth, if I did find one I don't know that I'd use it.  If I lost the one I have, I would be deaded.

Somehow, I'm pretty good at finding similarities in SAKs that remind me of the ones on the shelf.  I think that's why I'm satisfied with having relatively few.  The large and small blades on a SAK remind me of a "traditional" - funny how that is actually your traditional and not really mine. But we're not really all that different now, are we?

95% of the time I don't have the two-blade layer on my SAK, as I almost always have an Alox or a Compact.  When I get nostalgic, I carry a silver Alox.  If I get more nostalgic I use the pen blade on the Champion.  If I got so nostalgic I couldn't take it anymore, I could switch my Compact with a Climber - but size gets the best of me before that happens. 

I'm a bit unique in that, having too many things annoys me - so that helps.  Its much of my fascination with multitools - I'd rather have one object that can do ten things than the other way around. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: February 25, 2020, 02:33:17 AM
  I have one that may very well have been made in your home town - looks like the one you have pictured on post #6, just above the gypsy/fruit knife on the left - mine has a bit of a recurve on it.

I'm not sure which one you mean... or what you mean by gypsy/fruit knife

Somehow, I'm pretty good at finding similarities in SAKs that remind me of the ones on the shelf.  I think that's why I'm satisfied with having relatively few.  The large and small blades on a SAK remind me of a "traditional" - funny how that is actually your traditional and not really mine. But we're not really all that different now, are we?

OK, here's another seemingly illogical quirk of mine...

I think the smaller secondary blade on most Swiss knives is redundant. I like the Wenger Traveler because it has the nail file instead. I also reground a DofE round nosed blade to a sheepsfoot, which gives me a kind of Compact Super Tinker without that redundant blade. The ones where I like having two blades, are the Original Outdoorsman which has a serrated main paired with a smaller pruner blade, and the Mega84 mod I did, which has two long main blades - one plain, and one serrated...

... yet most of those went in the shoebox, and three of the four I left out have the redundant blade....  :think: I also quite like the canoe pattern slippie I left out, and don't consider the smaller blade on that to be redundant.

On traditionals, I don't mind two blades, but don't tend to go for more than two. All the stockman and whittlers have gone. The only one that's left that has more than two, is the Boker Congress Carver which has four, and I have mixed feelings about that one.

I'm a bit unique in that, having too many things annoys me - so that helps.  Its much of my fascination with multitools - I'd rather have one object that can do ten things than the other way around.

Yup! I tend to like maximum versatility in the fewest items, but am generally happy splitting them between knife and pliers if carrying a lot of capability. What I don't like, is having a saw on both, or a file on both, though if I'm carrying the Spirit, I like to have scissors and Phillips on the accompanying knife.

I also like having options as to what to carry, but not being overwhelmed by them. A lot of my "rules" and tendencies are quite logical, but others are more emotive.. one thing we all share though, is that we feel gives us comfort - be that in looks, ergonomics, emotional association, or performance potential.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 25, 2020, 02:41:40 AM
I'm not sure which one you mean... or what you mean by gypsy/fruit knife

This one here.   :tu:

* Annotation 2020-02-24 203828.jpg (Filesize: 2.52 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: February 25, 2020, 02:50:42 AM
This one here.   :tu:

Ahh OK. That's a Wostenholm engine turned penknife. The bottom one in this pic.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #58 on: February 25, 2020, 03:02:45 AM
Great discussion, AW and Elevenblade, I enjoy reading your thoughts behind your choices  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: February 25, 2020, 08:51:18 PM
Great discussion, AW and Elevenblade, I enjoy reading your thoughts behind your choices  :tu:

Thanks. It's an interesting experiment for me too. It's odd coming back to this thread and seeing all the items in the pics on page 1 that. I haven't set eyes on for 6 months.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD