Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range 4193

Hero Member Posts: 943
Re: Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
What even is a ‘Fieldmaster’, anyway? I mean I know what a huntsman is, and a climber, and a Spartan...but who is the mysterious master of fields, and what does he do?

All we really know is that he prefers working on easily-accessible Phillips screws that don’t need much torque, to drinking wine. The man has his priorities wrong, in my opinion.

:rofl:                                                 :rofl:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
No Life Club Posts: 2,038
« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2019, 11:39:51 PM »
Just catching up after missing a couple of entries
Great reviews Max  :hatsoff:
I accidentally became a fan of the Fieldmaster, it's the only backside Phillips I have, but I've found if you have it you'll use it, at least me, I've been EDCing mine for close to a year now  :cheers:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,230
« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2019, 11:45:05 PM »
Great thread/challenge!  :tu:  :like: :salute:

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,230
« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »
:rofl:                                                 :rofl:
+1 :rofl:

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain
Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,760
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »
Yikes.  I've missed several days.  The 91mm has such variety yet why am I still searching for the perfect SAK  :dunno:

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 3,369
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »
Thanks Aloha, Greg, Rapidray, El C.  :hatsoff:

Seems the Fieldmaster gets some love too! Now onto some heavy-lifting...

Day 19

Stepping up from four to five layers today was quite a shock. While yesterday’s 99g Fieldmaster could be pocket-carried, the 150g 5-layered CyberTool M (or CT-34) is a real pants-puller.

This is getting into the 4” Leatherman weight category, and it’s really noticeable at the bottom of your pocket. I had to switch to a belt suspension pocket carry to lift if halfway up the pocket, placing the weight on my belt. This is a common carry for me (even with smaller SAKs), as I find it comfortable and also a good way of not losing your SAK.

So back to the CT-34. This is a really chunky SAK with two layers that are wider than normal; the bit adapter and the pliers. Added to these are scissors and the standard set of blades and openers. Tucked away on the back are the corkscrew, hook and awl tools.

In fact, the CT-34 is just like a Deluxe Tinker, but with a corkscrew replacing the Phillips, and the added bit driver layer. Certainly a very capable tool load.

We covered the 3-layer CyberTool S (CT-29) about two weeks ago, but just as a recap, the bit driver accepts double-ended 4mm bits, 3 of these stored in a clever fold-out carrier that stows under the driver, and the 4th kept in the driver itself, giving a total of 8 combinations. The bit driver is also a decent length, giving good reach and usability of this versatile tool.

While the bit driver is strangely not the central layer, the overall SAK is not too wide to prevent easy turning of the driver when needed.

Pros:
- Very capable bit driver tool
- Includes scissors and pliers for a good tool load
- Plus scales with pen are standard

Cons:
- Large and quite heavy, not really pocketable
- One of the more expensive 91mm models

Bottom line:
Considered the base CyberTool model, the CT-34 is probably the most popular of the bit-driver SAKs. It really is a hefty piece of gear, and you may need to reevaluate your carry options. But I still wonder how necessary it is to carry a bit driver when there are already good fixed driver tools available on many other SAKs.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,295
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2019, 09:57:31 PM »
Great write up and photos. The CyberTools are ones that I never got into. :tu:
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 2,474
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2019, 12:00:53 AM »
Great stuff once again Max - Thanks
It really is a hefty piece of gear, and you may need to reevaluate your carry options. But I still wonder how necessary it is to carry a bit driver when there are already good fixed driver tools available on many other SAKs.

Don't forget SAKs don't have to be carried.
I have one of these permanently stationed in my desk and it is used for those 'around the house jobs'.

Yesterday I used it to rewire a plug.
The large SD/CO to open up the plug - I needed a smooth pokey tool (not a screw/screwdriver) to get the rubber cover off (Aussie plugs!!)
The CT SD to undo the small connector screws
The scissors and blade to strip the wire - I did not use the wire stripper  :twak:- The sheath was old so came off easily.
To my great surprise the wire cutting notch in the pliers was great at cutting the exposed wire - Never used it for that before!
The CT SD to do up the screws 
Scissors to cut some electrical tape.
And the large SD to work the cover on again
........Brilliant.

It gets used for plenty of other tasks: Opening letters or presents, screwing those tiny screws on kids toys,  etc etc 
The CT SD bit options are great to have to hand

EDIT PS: And you know the smallest torx bit fits the screw on the Leatherman replaceable wire cutter - :tu:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:23:27 AM by Huntsman »
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2019, 06:32:45 AM »
Thanks Rapidray and Huntsman  :hatsoff:

...and good tip on the wire cutter head.  :salute:

In addition to keeping SAKs tucked away in various draws in the house and car cubbies, I also use the larger SAKs in a day pack, so they are very versatile for keeping in places other than the pocket. It was just so noticeable switching up from 4 to 5 layers that it reinforced the 4-layer cut-off many use as a guide for pocket EDC.  :tu:
No Life Club Posts: 4,217
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2019, 10:26:36 AM »
Thanks for yet another good writeup!

I think a lot of our IT/Computer members quite like the Cybertool line of SAK, since the bit drivers are perfect for the job.  Weighing in around 150grams does make it a hefty piece of gear, but unless there is a specific need for the pliers from the LM camp skeletool or Juice line, I would much prefer this than Juice/Skeletool.  Overall, I just like the quality of SAK tools better.
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
Thanks comis  :hatsoff:

Yes I think there could be a few computer geeks still around!  :cheers:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,200
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2019, 12:48:21 PM »
Nice write up and pics Max! :like: :tu: :tu:
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
Thank you VICMAN  :hatsoff:
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »
Day 20

We now move to the second 5-layer SAK; the Ranger. And here we find, for the first time, the combination of scissors, wood saw and metal saw/file.

You can think of the Ranger as the combined DNA of the Mountaineer (scissors and file) and the Huntsman (scissors and wood saw).

And the file and wood saw are two of the slimmest layers, so the Ranger is no wider than some 4-layered SAKs, and pocket EDC was OK. Although I was using a suspension clip.

Bit what really makes the Ranger special is that every single layer has a back tool, and it’s the only 91mm SAK to have this density of tools. So in addition to the hook, corkscrew and awl that’s standard fare on many SAKs, you get the fine flat screwdriver paired with the wood saw, and the chisel paired with the file.

It’s no wonder that the Ranger is so popular. And it gets the really smart ‘camping’ logo on the top scale, the same design as the one used on the Camper, but a higher quality application that’s printed and then clear gloss top coated, as is the Victorinox logo.

I really enjoyed carrying the Ranger. It’s almost a Swiss Champ on diet, losing the pliers, inline Phillips/magnifier and scaler, but a lot more compact.

Pros:
- Great tool combination
- Full compliment of back tools
- Surprisingly compact for 5-layers
- Well-priced for what it offers

Cons:
- Difficult to fault. Plus scales would have been nice, but can always be added.

Bottom line:
This is the SAK to have if you’re looking for an all-rounder that won’t break the bank. Anything less and it’s a case of a specific tool requirement or lightweight EDC. Anything more and you’re looking at the much more expensive Swiss Champ.
No Life Club Posts: 2,038
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
Good read Max
I only recently became aware of the Ranger, and the photos show an impressive tool set  :tu:  :hatsoff:
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2019, 02:38:50 AM »
Very nice!  :like:
Great write up and photos  :tu:
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2019, 06:28:18 AM »
Thanks Greg, Rapidray  :hatsoff:
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2019, 06:46:40 AM »
Ranger is definitely my favorite 5 layers amongst them all.  Didn't know it is the only tool that has back tools to each layer, good read!
« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2019, 06:56:36 AM »
Thank you comis  :hatsoff:

Even though they could...most of the wood saw and file equipped SAKs skip these back tools.  :think:
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2019, 06:59:58 AM »
Thank you comis  :hatsoff:

Even though they could...most of the wood saw and file equipped SAKs skip these back tools.  :think:

I wonder that too, but I guess it might be a cost thing(to assemble it, man hour, tooling, material etc)?
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,200
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »
Day 20

We now move to the second 5-layer SAK; the Ranger. And here we find, for the first time, the combination of scissors, wood saw and metal saw/file.

Bit what really makes the Ranger special is that every single layer has a back tool, and it’s the only 91mm SAK to have this density of tools.

Bottom line:
This is the SAK to have if you’re looking for an all-rounder that won’t break the bank. Anything less and it’s a case of a specific tool requirement or lightweight EDC. Anything more and you’re looking at the much more expensive Swiss Champ.

Nice write-up and pics of the Ranger Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

I have EDC'd a SwissChamp since they first came out, but the Ranger would be my second choice. I have always liked it's tool density. :cheers:
Full Member Posts: 122
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »
Great thread, Max - really enjoying it! I quite agree that it is odd that the CT34 doesn’t put the bit driver in the middle, which is why I moved mine (though this started life as a CTlite, I robbed the lite/mag layer for another knife mod) and I think it makes it easier to use!
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2019, 02:42:20 PM »
Great thread, Max - really enjoying it! I quite agree that it is odd that the CT34 doesn’t put the bit driver in the middle, which is why I moved mine (though this started life as a CTlite, I robbed the lite/mag layer for another knife mod) and I think it makes it easier to use!
Nice  :like:
Newbie Posts: 47
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
But I still wonder how necessary it is to carry a bit driver when there are already good fixed driver tools available on many other SAKs.

Been enjoying your thread!!!

The main two selling points of the bit driver are 1) the long reach; and 2) the extra bits.  If you don't need torx or hex, then the CyberTool M's cost probably isn't worth it.  I mostly like it for the two different Phillips bits. Saves me from carrying a 58mm SAK for the smaller Phillips.

Also, there isn't a comparable 5-layer SAK that includes both the mini-pliers and the inline Phillips.  Your only other options are the bigger CyberTool L and the SwissChamp.

- FiL
Jr. Member Posts: 95
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
Been enjoying your thread!!!

The main two selling points of the bit driver are 1) the long reach; and 2) the extra bits.  If you don't need torx or hex, then the CyberTool M's cost probably isn't worth it.  I mostly like it for the two different Phillips bits. Saves me from carrying a 58mm SAK for the smaller Phillips.

Also, there isn't a comparable 5-layer SAK that includes both the mini-pliers and the inline Phillips.  Your only other options are the bigger CyberTool L and the SwissChamp.

- FiL
That Cybertool hex bit has helped me assemble many an item from Ikea!
« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2019, 10:24:31 PM »
Thanks Fil, Rapidray, VICMAN, fullbreakfast  :hatsoff:  ...and also the good idea on the CT-34 Rizio  :tu:

Day 21

Victorinox has six 91mm models in their current range with the LED feature, typically paired with the inline Phillips screwdriver.

We’ve covered two so far, the 3-layer Spartan Lite and the 4-layer Traveler Lite. Today it’s the turn of the 5-layer Huntsman Lite.

As the name implies, this model has the same basic toolset as the Huntsman (scissors and wood saw) with one extra layer between the scissors and the openers to house the LED module and inline Phillips.

Victorinox also saw fit to include Plus scales with the mini-screwdriver/pin accessories as standard, and also the fine screwdriver back tool paired to the wood saw layer.

I’ve been a little critical of the LED in the past, and it is true that later models are a little brighter. But you’ll never use this LED for anything other than close proximity use around your person. Probably OK for most tasks.

I still wish they had designed the LED so that it could clip off and be used independently. I can imagine being in the dark, needing to use the SAK to work on something that needs illumination at the same time.

I can see myself disassembling one to cut a 2.5mm notch in the plastic pivot area below the LED diode, so that I can rotate the module upright and then lift it off the pivot. Would lose some tension on the Phillips and there’s always the risk of losing the LED module, but in an emergency, it would be great to be able to pop the module out. (Comments from modders welcome...)

Anyway, enough ramblings about nice-to-haves. I mentioned in an earlier review on a Lite model that the LED button has an instantaneous feature. Well, the Huntsman Lite I have only has the slide function. You cannot press it briefly. Only slide it back where it locks on permanently. Now I don’t know if this is a newer or older version, but I suspect older, as the LED is a little dimmer. I prefer the momentary feature, and there’s really not much chance of accidentally pressing it as the button is recessed.

In some ways, the Huntsman Lite can be thought of as an Explorer with the wood saw added and the magnifier changed for the LED. Considering how popular the Explorer is, it’s a little surprising that the Huntsman Lite doesn’t get more interest. I suspect that many see it just as an expensive Huntsman with an LED, not realizing that it also includes the excellent inline Phillips.

Pros:
- Good tool set with inline Phillips screwdriver
- Plus scales and accessories standard

Cons:
- LED useful for very close proximity illumination only (maybe a benefit)
- Does not like water (electronics)

Bottom line:
Many of the Lite models suffer the same fate of being largely ignored, which is a shame because the inline Phillips paired with the LED is one of the better tools to be found on a Victorinox. This extra layer, Plus scales and accessories, make the Huntsman Lite an interesting alternative to the standard Huntsman.
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »
Nice and informative as usual!  :like: :cheers:
« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2019, 06:24:05 AM »
Thank you Rapidray  :hatsoff:
No Life Club Posts: 1,189
« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2019, 06:58:16 AM »
Great review.
Full Member Posts: 122
« Reply #239 on: September 13, 2019, 07:00:27 AM »
Thanks again Max for a good read - the Huntsman lite also seems to be quite cheap whenever I see it! That grey housed LED seems much dimmer than the the (newer.) clear housed one.....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $180.00
PayPal Fees: $9.62
Net Balance: $170.38
Below Goal: $129.62
Site Currency: USD
57%