Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range

Max Stone · 418 · 17043

Poll

So I was asked to add my "Top 3" out of the 91mm (current) range, so here they are. You're welcome to cast your vote:

Swiss Champ
5 (38.5%)
Traveller Lite
1 (7.7%)
Compact
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 11:46:02 PM

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range
Reply #240 on: September 13, 2019, 09:38:13 AM
Hey Max

How come you keep finding info that I did not know - I thought I knew most things about the 91mm range  :pok:
  • The stuff on the saws was fascinating
  • I never knew the camping logo application was different Ranger vs Camper - How do you know that? - Observation? - Although I still, of course, prefer the older metal inlay
  • And I never knew about the momentary press for the Lite switch !! And it works on both of mine (CT- clear and Traveller - grey - Both quite new) - That will be handy - Thanks :)
Not wishing this thread away - But bring on the XAVT - I assume you have one and it will feature - Looking f to hear your thoughts on that beast!!

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #241 on: September 13, 2019, 11:04:09 AM
Good to see you reviewing the Lite models Max. They seem to get overlooked a lot.

I like the Traveller Lite and picked up a Mountaineer Lite last year which is a great combination of metal saw with LED and Phillips. Obviously if you want a proper torch then look elsewhere but as a fall back the LED's will do.

:like:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #242 on: September 13, 2019, 01:19:05 PM
Thanks 🆘, Rizio, Fast Bill  :hatsoff:

And thanks Huntsman, but you’ll have to wait for Day 30...  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #243 on: September 13, 2019, 03:08:11 PM
Cool  :popcorn:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #244 on: September 13, 2019, 03:45:57 PM
That Cybertool hex bit has helped me assemble many an item from Ikea!

You assembled Ikea furniture with a SAK?
That must have been a chore....  :o  Some take some doing even with proper dedicated SD's...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #245 on: September 13, 2019, 08:54:02 PM
...someone say “electric bit driver”?  :facepalm:

Day 22

So we leave the five layered 91mm SAKs behind us today...they were only three...

And we step into six layers with the CyberTool Lite. Even though there are 91mm SAKs with more layers, the CyberTool Lite is wider than most. Even wider than the 7-layer CyberTool L (CT-41) and the 8-layer Swiss Champ. This is because of the tool load; scissors, pliers, LED and magnifier and of course, the bit driver.

The CyberTool Lite is effectively a CyberTool M with the LED and magnifier as an added layer. Spot something different? Yes...normally the LED is paired with the inline Phillips, but as the CyberTool already has a very capable bit driver, Victorinox were smart enough to rather pair it with the magnifier.

The CyberTool Lite tool configuration also means the LED shines in the same direction as the deployed bit driver. So you can see what you are screwing (always helpful). 

As the rest of the tool load is the same as the CyberTool M (CT-34), I’ll refer you back to that mini-review I did a few days ago if you want more details.

Pros:
- Excellent bit driver
- LED points the right direction when using the bit driver

Cons:
- A very large SAK, bigger than a Swiss Champ
- Won’t like water because of the electronics

Bottom line:
The CyberTool Lite is a big SAK, but ideal if you need some extra illumination when using the bit driver. There are reducing options once you get into six layers and above, so it becomes increasingly difficult to make a choice. And this model is one of the more specialized options.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #246 on: September 13, 2019, 10:16:05 PM
Nice review and that light is pretty good from the looks of the photo!  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #247 on: September 14, 2019, 02:10:55 AM
Nice review.  I didn’t know a lot about the Cybertools or 91mm Lits SAKs so your reviews have been nice and informative.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #248 on: September 14, 2019, 12:57:49 PM
Great reviews on the Huntsman Lite and CyberTool Lite Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

Nice pics too! :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #249 on: September 14, 2019, 01:23:49 PM
 :iagree:
The lites have never been on my radar, so it's nice reading your reviews

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #250 on: September 14, 2019, 02:25:13 PM
And thanks Huntsman, but you’ll have to wait for Day 30...  :cheers:

Also looking f to seeing which two other non-current SAKs make it into the line up!!   :popcorn:    ;)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #251 on: September 14, 2019, 02:41:47 PM
 :iagree: and you know it is going to be good!  :popcorn:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #252 on: September 14, 2019, 02:45:09 PM
Clue on one...tick-tock...  :whistle:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #253 on: September 14, 2019, 02:47:28 PM
Nice review.  I didn’t know a lot about the Cybertools or 91mm Lits SAKs so your reviews have been nice and informative.
Thanks 🆘, Huntsman, Rapidray, VICMAN, Greg.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #254 on: September 14, 2019, 03:17:12 PM
Clue on one...tick-tock...  :whistle:
Another time piece it is!  :popcorn:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #255 on: September 14, 2019, 08:54:00 PM
Day 23

For some, the 5-layer Ranger is the ideal SAK. It combines the essential large and small blades, bottle and tin openers that double as screwdrivers, scissors, wood saw, file with metal saw, and five tools on the back including the corkscrew, awl, fine screwdriver, chisel and hook.

Victorinox had a few choices of what tool to add to the Ranger, and I’m pleased they chose the pliers. This 6-layer model, known as the Handyman, really does live up to its name.

Only a few tools short of the Swiss Champ (fish scaler and inline Phillips/magnifier), the Handyman is a little easier on the pocket, both in terms of Dollars and weight. Probably the smarter choice, if you can live without the inline Phillips.

Pros:
- Comprehensive tool set
- Quite compact for a 6 layer SAK

Cons:
- Just a little big for pocket EDC, without a suspension clip
- Pliers more like super-tweezers

Bottom line:
Living under the shadow of the iconic Swiss Champ can’t be easy. But the Handyman is a real alternative if you’re looking to save a little in size and cost. Unfortunately, I expect most people will just go straight for its bigger brother and never look back.

(NB: last pic compares width to another 6-layer SAK, the CyberTool Lite, reviewed yesterday).

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #256 on: September 14, 2019, 09:25:13 PM
Great review of the Handyman Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #257 on: September 14, 2019, 10:35:48 PM
 :like:
Very good review...and great photo of the comparison between the two!  :tu: :cheers:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #258 on: September 14, 2019, 11:13:39 PM
I've just been lurking here lately. What a great thread, Max! Nice balanced reviews, and I've enjoyed the responses. :hatsoff:

The Handyman is all business and well named. It was my first SAK after a long lost Swisschamp. It had all the tools I used most on my SC and had less bulk overall, so it made for a slightly easier pocket carry. I carried it for two years.

I bought the discontinued Craftsman (with Phillips instead of corkscrew) later because I use the wood saw a lot at work and find the Handyman's corkscrew makes using it uncomfortable. I returned to the HM though because I missed the CS too much. A much better tool than the Phillips as it has multiple and unique uses.

As for the less endowed 91mm knives, I favour the Camper as it's a slim gardening and outdoors carry. Of course it's for the saw, so the Hiker makes more sense from a comfort point of view - but again, the handy corkscrew gives the Camper the edge. It was my pocket carry of choice yesterday when I visited a place with a rambling forest garden.

I find the Explorer great for around home, in the kitchen especially where all front tools see regular use. I much prefer the more centred inline Phillips over the Swisschamp's more offset one, and the Explorer's square section makes it more comfortable in the hand. A great choice if you don't need the saws, pliers, and scaler of the SC. My former brother in law has carried an Explorer in his pocket everywhere for years, and has used it to assemble furniture. For him it's the perfect pocket toolbox.
Rambler

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #259 on: September 15, 2019, 12:48:43 AM
Great review of the Handyman Max! :like: :tu: :tu:
:iagree: Max, great job!
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #260 on: September 15, 2019, 07:47:48 AM
Thanks FB, VICMAN, Rapidray and Sawl for your insightful comments.  :hatsoff:

us Offline jph_777

Reply #261 on: September 15, 2019, 07:49:45 PM
Max, I continue to enjoy your daily postings on all the models. 

The only problem I have with your reporting, however, is that it makes me want to go out and buy all the models I don't have!  :drool:

(Do you work for the Victorinox marketing department?) :pok:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #262 on: September 15, 2019, 08:28:46 PM
Ha! Thanks jph_777, you made me laugh!  :hatsoff:

I’m not with Vic. Just a good relationship with the Vic agent in South Africa. Although every time I’m in their shop I inevitably end up talking to other customers and being asked the same  :D

I’m actually one product short in the current 91mm range, that’s a story by itself. The shop has most of their Victorinox SAKs displayed along one side of the shop, but they keep the limited editions and larger ‘collectors’ editions behind glass.

For about six months I’d been eying the Expedition Lite that they had in a display cabinet, tools closed up but resting against the expedition kit pouch it comes with. It was the only unit they had, so I eventually committed to buying it.

As standard practice, I always go over a new SAK in the store to ensure all is well, and while the salesman was off looking for the original  box, I had some time to inspect the SAK.

So it was a shock (for me and the salesman) when I discovered that the tip of the large blade was bent. Someone must have dropped it point down in the shop at some earlier time.

It had to go back to the factory and a replacement ordered, which I’m told should arrive this week. Hopefully still within my 30 day challenge window!  :salute:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #263 on: September 15, 2019, 08:31:52 PM
Max, on your Expedition Lite knife, is the housing of the light part grey or clear?  Mine is grey, but I understand there is a clear housing on some.  Someone here on MTO posted a photo of the clear housing and I've wanted it ever since.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #264 on: September 15, 2019, 09:27:23 PM
The one that went back to the factory was grey, not seen what the new one is yet but hopefully will know next week!  :popcorn:

Day 24

I am skipping the last 6-layered SAK; the Expedition Lite. Only because the one that should be the focus of today’s attention had to go back to the factory, and hopefully its replacement arrives this week...so it will still get its chance to shine before the challenge is over.

So the next SAK up for consideration is the largest of the officially named CyberTools, the CyberTool L or CT-41.

And while the CyberTool Lite, M and S models are all directly related to one other, the CT-41 is closer to the Handyman than to its CT siblings.

In fact, the CT-41 can be considered a Handyman with the bit driver tool layer added. So it keeps the Handyman’s great tool load of blades, openers, file/metal saw, wood saw, scissors, pliers and five back tools.

It’s because of this relationship to the Handyman, itself so close to the Swiss Champ, that many see the CT-41 as the modern alternative to the Swiss Champ. And it’s identical in width to the Swiss Champ, so while you lose the fish scaler and magnifier, the inline Phillips is replaced by the very capable bit driver.

It’s easy to assume that the CT-41 is the biggest of the CyberTools, especially as it’s called the CyberTool L, but as the pictures below show, the CyberTool Lite is wider that the CT-41 by quite a margin due to the LED module.

Pros:
- Very capable alternative to the Swiss Champ
- Good bit driver
- Plus scales and accessories

Cons:
- Bit driver offset from center so not as easy to use as those on other CyberTools
- Difficult for pocket carry due to size and weight

Bottom line:
The bit driver is one of the newer tools created by Victorinox, and it’s a little at odds with the rest of the SAK tools that blend in more seamlessly. But putting this aside, the CT-41 is the only real alternative to the Swiss Champ, if you are looking for the most functionality in a body that’s no wider.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #265 on: September 16, 2019, 12:49:09 AM
Ha! Thanks jph_777, you made me laugh!  :hatsoff:

I’m not with Vic. Just a good relationship with the Vic agent in South Africa. Although every time I’m in their shop I inevitably end up talking to other customers and being asked the same  :D

I’m actually one product short in the current 91mm range, that’s a story by itself. The shop has most of their Victorinox SAKs displayed along one side of the shop, but they keep the limited editions and larger ‘collectors’ editions behind glass.

For about six months I’d been eying the Expedition Lite that they had in a display cabinet, tools closed up but resting against the expedition kit pouch it comes with. It was the only unit they had, so I eventually committed to buying it.

As standard practice, I always go over a new SAK in the store to ensure all is well, and while the salesman was off looking for the original  box, I had some time to inspect the SAK.

So it was a shock (for me and the salesman) when I discovered that the tip of the large blade was bent. Someone must have dropped it point down in the shop at some earlier time.

It had to go back to the factory and a replacement ordered, which I’m told should arrive this week. Hopefully still within my 30 day challenge window!  :salute:
I hope it does also!  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #266 on: September 16, 2019, 12:52:09 AM
Very nice CT-41  :tu: :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #267 on: September 16, 2019, 01:00:31 AM
I finally found some time to read all the posts, and it is an amazing read!

Very well written and very informative. Good job Max  :like:

I will take the opportunity to ask a question: What do you guys use the backside chisel for? So far I have been unable to find a suitable use for it. No way to use it for its intended purpose  :think:

us Offline TXSAK

Reply #268 on: September 16, 2019, 06:12:00 AM
I finally found some time to read all the posts, and it is an amazing read!

Very well written and very informative. Good job Max  :like:

I will take the opportunity to ask a question: What do you guys use the backside chisel for? So far I have been unable to find a suitable use for it. No way to use it for its intended purpose  :think:
Paint/sticker scraper?

us Offline Sos24

Reply #269 on: September 16, 2019, 07:03:42 AM
Love the Handyman review.  I’ve been considering getting one, but not sure why to choose over just getting theSwissChamp.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%