Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range

Max Stone · 418 · 17046

Poll

So I was asked to add my "Top 3" out of the 91mm (current) range, so here they are. You're welcome to cast your vote:

Swiss Champ
5 (38.5%)
Traveller Lite
1 (7.7%)
Compact
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 11:46:02 PM

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range
Reply #30 on: August 25, 2019, 03:00:51 PM
Day 3
The Tinker is the last of the 2-layer SAKs in the 91mm lineup I’m reviewing. Basically a Spartan with a Phillips instead of a Corkscrew as a back layer tool.
Arguably a more practical tool load than the Spartan, as there’s probably more opportunities to use the Phillips driver than the corkscrew, unless you’re a wine buff!
Of course, the ergonomics of using the Phillips is rather compromised, being a back layer tool...but the driver tip is well-made and it will engage a decent sized screw head, as long as you’ve got room to access the screw.
As a (slightly) more modern SAK, the Tinker loses a bit of character compared to the iconic Spartan, and for practically, the Super Tinker with scissors is probably a better option. But the Tinker’s a good option if you’re looking for a smaller 91mm with a dedicated Phillips.
Pros:
- Dedicated Phillips
- Small and light
Cons:
- Phillips awkward to use
- Limited tool set
Bottom line:
A popular alternative to the Spartan, sporting a Phillips driver, but unless you must have 2-layers, the Super Tinker is a better option.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: August 25, 2019, 03:03:16 PM
I never understood the Tinker.  I was so wrong.  Its a great 2 layer SAK and wonderful in 84mm.  Nice choice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: August 25, 2019, 03:12:28 PM
Very nice. You are doing a great job! Great info and photos!  :cheers:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 03:49:36 PM
This topic is my new daily read as I enjoy my tea.  :tu:
As for the Tinker, lots of folks love it.  When I didn't know which SAK to buy for my brothers and dad, they mentioned the Tinker.
It's slim enough to pocket carry like a Compact, but has the Phillips and full opener layer that many like as well.   :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:21:17 PM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #34 on: August 25, 2019, 04:14:16 PM
Thanks FB, Rapidray, Aloha  :hatsoff:
As a minimalist option with good-sized tools, the Tinker is hard to beat. A case of ‘less is more’  :salute:
Onto the 3-layers tomorrow  :popcorn:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 25, 2019, 04:14:36 PM
You're tempting me with these 2 layer 91mms, I don't have one yet but that's going to change  :cheers: maybe both

Reply #36 on: August 25, 2019, 04:22:11 PM
Onto the 3-layers tomorrow  :popcorn:
Can't wait!  My first SAK was a 3-layer!  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #37 on: August 25, 2019, 05:19:34 PM
You're tempting me with these 2 layer 91mms, I don't have one yet but that's going to change  :cheers: maybe both
Can’t go wrong Greg...also very affordable  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #38 on: August 25, 2019, 05:20:09 PM
Can't wait!  My first SAK was a 3-layer!  :cheers:
Always a good choice FB  :hatsoff:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #39 on: August 25, 2019, 06:09:47 PM
Im definitely following this.  :like:

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #40 on: August 25, 2019, 08:09:04 PM
Looking forward to more of this thread - great idea

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: August 25, 2019, 08:12:35 PM
Nice Day 3 pics and summary Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #42 on: August 25, 2019, 08:33:49 PM
Thanks BadMechanic, Intorikata, VICMAN  :hatsoff:

us Offline jph_777

Reply #43 on: August 25, 2019, 09:30:57 PM
Max, what a great series you have started here.  I'm learning something new each time I read your posts, even though I already have a Compact and Spartan (No Tinker yet, and as you pointed out, I think a Super Tinker would be a better choice first).  Each new post has been well thought out and concise.  I look forward to following your entire series.   :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #44 on: August 25, 2019, 09:58:30 PM
Thank you jph_777. I know there are many with more knowledge (and SAKs) than I have, but the fun of this forum is sharing ideas and experiences.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #45 on: August 26, 2019, 04:40:14 AM
I own a couple Tinkers but mainly because they seem to be the SAK that most 91mm specials scales come on.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #46 on: August 26, 2019, 08:12:02 AM
Day 4
Over half the 91mm range is made up of 3- and 4-layer SAKs, clearly the market sweet-spot.
In many ways, the 3 layer SAKs provide the most interesting options, as you are typically picking just one extra tool to squeeze between the blade and opener layers. You have to be just that bit more selective in your choice, and these SAKs have strong identities linked to their individual characters.
There are just four of these middle layer options available; scissors, wood saw, inline Phillips/LED, and a bit driver.
It is the bit driver SAK that gets our attention today, known as the Cybertool Small.
Originally called (and still by many), the Cybertool 29 (for 29 functions), the CT-29 sports one of the most recent tools created by Victorinox; a bit driver that accepts interchangeable, reversible bits.
And there are two party-tricks the CT-29 has up its sleeve; the bit driver is a decent length, giving a reach not far off a full-sized screwdriver, and the CT-29 stores another three bits in a clever swing-out holder that tucks under the driver, each reversible, giving this SAK a total of eight interchangeable options.
Marketed as a tool for computer geeks, the Cybertool is really just a more modern alternative to having dedicated, separate tools. A route also taken by other manufacturers, such as Leatherman and Gerber.
The CT-29 has bigger brothers that we will cover in later days, but even as a 3-layer SAK, the CT-29 is quite wide due to the bit driver. It’s actually a little thicker than the 4-layer Huntsman, making it just about pocketable (but noticeable) for EDC.
Pros:
- excellent interchangeable bit driver
- Still has the core Spartan tools
- Supplier with Plus scales
Cons:
- More like a 4-layered SAK in size
- Limited to the bits that you get with it
- Expensive
Bottom line:
A fairly significant innovation for Victorinox, the Cybertool adds a tool that is almost as good as a dedicated bit driver, while maintaining the already capable Spartan tool set. Just a shame the driver is incompatible with generic 4mm bits.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 26, 2019, 11:26:39 AM
Great thread Max! The bit holder is a great addition to the Vic line, and I had long considered getting the CT29 - in fact I almost modded my CT lite into this as I really wanted that bit holder to be central, and not off to one side as it is in the CT34, so when I broke up the CT lite for my EDC project of marrying the torch/mag layer from the CT lite to a compact, I toyed around with the layers and settled with my take on the CT34, and a new 3 layer EDC - I plan on packing it with Wera interchangeable mini screwdriver for work when we come to swap message switches over.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: August 26, 2019, 01:05:17 PM
Very informative thread Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

I think as this thread progresses you will inspire others to try some of the SAKs they have not considered before. :cheers:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 26, 2019, 01:10:27 PM
I'm liking Day 4, that's one I wasn't aware of  :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: August 26, 2019, 01:47:13 PM
Another excellent day write up! The CT’s are very interesting SAK’s.  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #51 on: August 26, 2019, 02:06:08 PM
Thanks VICMAN, Rapidray, Greg.  :hatsoff:
And nice reinterpretation of the CT-34 with the driver central in the SAK Rizio  :like:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 26, 2019, 02:18:41 PM
Cheers, Max  :hatsoff: Looking forward to future installations on this thread - I’m certainly learning more about the Vic line-up! :popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: August 26, 2019, 02:46:34 PM
I'm one who still refers to this model as the CT29.  It can be a bit of work finding bits but there are threads of dedicated members who have done so.  Nice carry today. 
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #54 on: August 26, 2019, 03:44:02 PM
Informative write up Max!  Sure glad I have one already otherwise I'd be looking to buy one.  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #55 on: August 26, 2019, 07:07:20 PM
Thanks FB, Aloha, Rizio  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #56 on: August 27, 2019, 08:06:16 AM
Day 5
So the next on our journey is one of the most popular Victorinox SAKs; the Climber.
Adding the excellent Vic scissors to the base Spartan tool set creates a SAK that is ideal for pocket EDC when you want to keep to a maximum of 3-layers.
In fact, three out of the seven 91mm 3-layer SAKs available sport scissors in their middle layer, so there’s no doubt that this is a popular option.
And it’s this popularity that gives the Climber some competition it its weight class. You could take the Traveller that’s got identical tools but adds a useful multifunctional digital display...or the Super Tinker that switches the corkscrew for a Phillips driver. Not forgetting the Compact that can do much of what the Climber can do...but with one layer less.
So the Climber has some very capable competitors eating into its market share.
That said, the Climber remains a firm favorite as a no-nonsense SAK with the most essential tools needed for general purpose EDC.
You’ll also find one of the biggest ranges of scale options on the Climber, including some very attractive limited edition and special release models. In fact, it’s quite possible that you could be kept very busy just collecting Climbers (and earlier historic versions).
Of course, the scissors also bring another tool to the party (at least since 1991); the multipurpose hook, placed as a back tool, and the cause of much debate among SAK users. Personally, I’ve never used it to carry bundles of magazines, to tighten boot laces, reattach trampoline springs or lift a pot off a camp fire...but it’s good at any of these and many more undefined uses, so it’s really not an issue for me. It just adds a little more usefulness to an already very capable little pocket carry.
Pros:
- Versatile and effective scissors
- Still small enough for pocket EDC
- Large range of colours and designs
Cons:
- Not much
Bottom line:
As a general purpose, pocketable SAK, you really can’t go wrong with the Climber.  Sure, you can go a layer less with the Compact, but you lose the small blade and dedicated openers. The only real alternative in the 3-layer category is the Super Tinker, if you’re OK with the ergonomics of the back Phillips.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: August 27, 2019, 11:42:46 AM
Nice review of the Climber Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #58 on: August 27, 2019, 11:51:09 AM
An excellent thread...way to go!  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 27, 2019, 12:05:40 PM
Hi Max

This really is a great idea for a 30-day challenge - Maybe even my favourite challenge thread!!

And your write ups and descriptions are absolutely spot on

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD