Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range

Max Stone · 418 · 17044

Poll

So I was asked to add my "Top 3" out of the 91mm (current) range, so here they are. You're welcome to cast your vote:

Swiss Champ
5 (38.5%)
Traveller Lite
1 (7.7%)
Compact
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 11:46:02 PM

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range
Reply #330 on: September 20, 2019, 06:48:11 PM
Thanks comis, Hevy, FB  :hatsoff:

...of course your scales could have come from older inventory kamakiri...   :o

But yes, we we talk about Victorinox inventory, we have to consider the whole retail supply chain.

:tu:

...and sometimes from the future.  :think:  I had a scale back in '18 that was already showing the the '19 mark.  :dunno:

Great thread. Great writing. Great reviews. Great pics. Keep 'em coming, Max!  :hatsoff:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #331 on: September 20, 2019, 07:02:11 PM
That white Astronaut is so cool  :drool:

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #332 on: September 20, 2019, 10:53:55 PM
Thanks fullbreakfast and kamakiri  :hatsoff:

Day 29

Before we wrap up the 30 day challenge, we’re rewinding almost to the beginning, back to the Spartan we covered on Day 2. Not just any Spartan, but the Spartan PS.

Unlike a black oxide finish, the Spartan PS has a shimmering black Polispectral finish created by immersing the stainless steel parts in a hot chromic-sulphuric acid solution and following this with a cathodic hardening treatment in another acid solution.

The colouring process chemically thickens the passive chromium-oxide layer that gives stainless steel its corrosion resistance. And the colours are produced by the interference that occurs as light waves pass through the transparent passive layer.

Being colourless, the chromium oxide layer is not susceptible to fading by ultraviolet light and, as the colouring process does not involve pigments or colouring agents that might bleach or fade over time, Polispectral stainless steel has a long life. Plus it does not rub off on your hands like black oxide.

A particular attraction of the Polispectral finish is that it appears to change colour under different lighting conditions and angles. It’s not particularly noticeable on the Spartan PS, but it does change though light grey, charcoal and to a deep black at different angles.

A downside is that the finish cannot be repaired if scratched, so while it is attractive on a Swiss Army Knife, it will get worn with use and these wear marks cannot be removed by polishing or refinishing. Victorinox even warn about this characteristic.

Victorinox charge a hefty premium for their Polispectral SAKs. Currently they offer it only on the Spartan, with white, black and camo scales. (And Man on the Moon LE).

I covered a more in-depth review of the Polispectral technology back in April in this rather long post:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=81313.0

Pros:
- Unique black tools very attractive
- It’s still a Spartan

Cons:
- Polispectral coating cannot be repaired
- 3 x the cost of a standard Spartan

Bottom line:
There’s no denying the attraction the Polispectral finish creates on the Spartan PS, but it’s a serious premium that is difficult to justify. Still a very nice shelf queen...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:18:53 PM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #333 on: September 20, 2019, 11:37:18 PM
Great review and pics of the Spartan PS Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #334 on: September 21, 2019, 12:07:04 AM
Thank you VICMAN  :hatsoff:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #335 on: September 21, 2019, 01:20:16 AM
Thanks fullbreakfast and kamakiri  :hatsoff:

Day 29

Before we wrap up the 30 day challenge, we’re rewinding almost to the beginning, back to the Spartan we covered on Day 2. Not just any Spartan, but the Spartan PS.

Unlike a black oxide finish, the Spartan PS has a shimmering black Polispectral finish created by immersing the stainless steel parts in a hot chromic-sulphuric acid solution and following this with a cathodic hardening treatment in another acid solution.

The colouring process chemically thickens the passive chromium-oxide layer that gives stainless steel its corrosion resistance. And the colours are produced by the interference that occurs as light waves pass through the transparent passive layer.

Being colourless, the chromium oxide layer is not susceptible to fading by ultraviolet light and, as the colouring process does not involve pigments or colouring agents that might bleach or fade over time, Polispectral stainless steel has a long life. Plus it does not rub off on your hands like black oxide.

A particular attraction of the Polispectral finish is that it appears to change colour under different lighting conditions and angles. It’s not particularly noticeable on the Spartan PS, but it does change though light grey, charcoal and to a deep black at different angles.

A downside is that the finish cannot be repaired if scratched, so while it is attractive on a Swiss Army Knife, it will get worn with use and these wear marks cannot be removed by polishing or refinishing. Victorinox even warn about this characteristic.

Victorinox charge a hefty premium for their Polispectral SAKs. Currently they offer it only on the Spartan, with white, black and camo scales. (And Man on the Moon LE).

I covered a more in-depth review of the Polispectral technology back in April in this rather long post:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=81313.0

Pros:
- Unique black tools very attractive
- It’s still a Spartan

Cons:
- Polispectral coating cannot be repaired
- 3 x the cost of a standard Spartan

Bottom line:
There’s no denying the attraction the Polispectral finish creates on the Spartan PS, but it’s a serious premium that is difficult to justify. Still a very nice shelf queen...
Very nice BO  :like: :cheers:
Nice review. Am going to miss your reviews thats for sure!  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #336 on: September 21, 2019, 04:15:37 AM
Nice review, Max!  :like: I had no idea how this works.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #337 on: September 21, 2019, 08:48:52 AM
Thank you Rapidray, Sir Vic.  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #338 on: September 21, 2019, 11:59:34 PM
Day 30

What has 15 layers, weighs 12.6oz (356g) and is 2.5in (65mm) wide? As it’s Day 30, you’ve probably guessed...the Swiss Champ XAVT.

This is the largest 91mm SAK in the current range, adding 4 layers to the already large XLT, and comfortably doubling the width of the Swiss Champ. It’s like you glued two Swiss Champs together!

Surely this is too large to use and carry? But people do. It has an oversized leather case for belt carry, and while you need to stretch to get your hand around it, the tools are usable. It’s just a little cumbersome and heavy in the hand. Victorinox market the XAVT as geared for collectors, and I guess they’re right.

So what’s added to make up the extra layers? As most people are familiar with the Swiss Champ, I’ll discuss what’s extra compared to this model.

First there’s the digital scale with LCD display. Then paired to the inline Phillips is a universal wrench, the design borrowed from Wenger. It has two bit drivers, with an extra 4 bits not found on the CyberTools. The LED is the new transparent housing version with a much brighter and usable LED. Then there’s the very nice large serrated blade. This is from ‘new old stock’ as it has the older crossbow logo on the tang. Paired to this blade is an inline awl, like those found on the Alox Pioneers. (This is my favourite layer on the XAVT).

There’s the short pruner, electrician’s blade and pharmaceutical spatula as found on the XLT. And just for good measure, there’s a combo tool and a watch case opener.

The back has two hooks, one with the nail file, and two 2.5mm drivers. Along with what you’d expect, such as corkscrew (plus mini screwdriver), awl and chisel. The bottom scale houses the tweezers, toothpick, pen and pin...the same scales as found on the Traveler and other digital SAKs.

The total count of functions varies depending on where you look, between 80 and 83. Compare this to 33 for the Swiss Champ and 50 for the CyberTool L and you get and idea of just how impressive this monster really is.

But there’s some tool duplication, so a re-count of actual functions, with less creative license, tops out at 70. Still very impressive!

1. Toothpick
2. Tweezers
3. Pressurized Ballpoint Pen
4. Stainless Steel Pin
5. Thermometer (C/F)
6. Digital Watch (12h/24h)
7. Alarm
8. Countdown Timer
9. Stopwatch
10. Altimeter (m/ft)
11. Barometric trend graph
12. Reamer/Punch/Sewing Awl
13. Can Opener (standard & combo tool)
14. Screwdriver 3mm (on Can Opener)
15. Bottle Opener (standard & combo tool)
16. Wire Stripper (x2)
17. Screwdriver 6mm   (on Bottle Opener)
18. Key Ring
19. Universal Wrench M3/M4/M5*
20. Inline Phillips Screwdriver 1/2
21. Magnifying Glass
22. Pliers
23. Wire Cutter
24. Wire Crimper
25. Fish Scaler
26. Hook Disgorger
27. Ruler (cm/inches)
28. Multipurpose Hook (x2)
29. Small Nail file (on one Multipurpose Hook)
30. Large Blade w/Serrated Edge
31. Inline Reamer/Punch*
32. Wood Saw
33. Scissors
34. Screwdriver 2.5mm (x2)
35. Pruning Blade
36. Electrician's Blade
37. Wire Scraper
38. Pharmaceutical Spatula
39. Watch Opener*
40. Screwdriver 5mm (on Combo Tool)
41. Nail File
42. Nail Cleaner
43. Metal Saw
44. Metal File
45. Chisel 4mm
46. Large Blade
47. Small Blade
48. Bit Slotted 3mm*
49. Bit Slotted 4mm*
50. Bit Torx 6*
51. Bit Torx 8*
52. Bit Hex 1,2*
53. Bit Hex 1,5*
54. Bit Hex 2*
55. Bit Hex 2,5*
56. Bit Slotted 4mm
57. Phillips Bit 2
58. Phillips Bit 0 (Pozidrive)
59. Phillips Bit 1 (Pozidrive)
60. Torx Bit 10
61. Torx Bit 15
62. Hex Bit 4
63. Torx Bit 8
64. Bit Case (x2)
65. 4mm Bitwrench (x2)
66. Female Hex drive 5mm for D-SUB Connectors (x2)
67. Female Hex Drive 4mm for Bits (x2)
68. LED
69. Mini Screwdriver
70. Corkscrew

Pros:
- The ultimate expression of a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife
- Several tools that are unique to the XAVT in the 91mm range (*)
- A fantastic reference to all the 91mm tools that are available

Cons:
- Not really intended for EDC
- Super-wide width and extra weight make some tools difficult to use
- Very expensive

Bottom line:
The XAVT is an incredible SAK. Victorinox went out of their way to include not only every current tool in the 91mm range, but to even include tools borrowed from different ranges. Some may see it as a monstrosity, but it’s really a superb technical demonstration of what’s possible from Victorinox. I love it.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #339 on: September 22, 2019, 12:00:13 AM
Bonus pic

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #340 on: September 22, 2019, 12:15:12 AM
Thank you for the 30 day journey Max!  I enjoyed it very much.  :tu:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #341 on: September 22, 2019, 12:41:48 AM
Great Challenge, Max.  Very enjoyable.

us Offline Scubadawg1

Reply #342 on: September 22, 2019, 01:17:52 AM
Well done!  Very informative, well written and entertaining.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #343 on: September 22, 2019, 02:59:47 AM
Well you ended it with the best SAK. The biggest and the baddest one. Thank you for making it an enjoyable 30 days!   :2tu:  :hatsoff:

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #344 on: September 22, 2019, 03:29:43 AM
Damm you Max Stone    :)

I know I will never compete knowledge-wise with many of our members here on the older models    :(
But I really thought I knew the current range pretty well    :dunno:   
But once again you have come up with some info I did not know - This time it was the tang stamp on the serrated blade  :pok:   ..... fascinating    :hatsoff:

And of course - as always - all the info is presented in a wonderfully informative, engaging, enthusiastic and easily digestible way    :tu:

One other point worth mentioning - In the original version of the XAVT the Wenger wrench was replaced by an old style (grey surround) mag glass

Wonderful thread - Thanks mate - We've all loved it as it was happening - I also hope lots of people visit it via the stickkie in the months and years to come
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:41:47 AM by Huntsman »

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #345 on: September 22, 2019, 06:33:37 AM
 :iagree: with folks above: Awesome and informative read. Thanks for putting so much work into this!  :like:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #346 on: September 22, 2019, 07:20:38 AM
Damm you Max Stone    :)

I know I will never compete knowledge wise-with many of our members here on the older models    :(
But I really thought I knew the current range pretty well    :dunno:   
But once again you have come up with some info I did not know - This time it was the tang stamp on the serrated blade  :pok:   ..... fascinating    :hatsoff:

And of course - as always - all the info is presented in a wonderfully informative, engaging, enthusiastic and easily digestible way    :tu:

One other point worth mentioning - In the original version of the XAVT the Wenger wrench was replaced by an old style (grey surround) mag glass

Wonderful thread - Thanks mate - We've all loved it as it was happening - I also hope lots of people visit it via the stickkie in the months and years to come

Indeed, this is a great challenge and many thanks to Max for such detail write up each day, I know I am going to miss the daily reading when this is over. :hatsoff:

But being optimistic, may I suggest the possible future write up for 58mm, 84mm, 93mm and 111mm... :pok: :pok: :pok: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #347 on: September 22, 2019, 12:04:05 PM
Great finish to your 30 day journey Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

This thread will provide a great reference source for the members of the forum! :cheers:

Well done sir! :hatsoff:

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #349 on: September 22, 2019, 02:17:22 PM
A great thread - sticky-worthy, I think. It was a pleasure to read, Max.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #350 on: September 22, 2019, 02:26:35 PM
A great thread - sticky-worthy, I think. It was a pleasure to read, Max.

:iagree:

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #351 on: September 22, 2019, 03:08:55 PM
^^^ From page 7   :pok:
Added this thread to the SAK Identifiers stickie:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75774.msg1630522.html#msg1630522
- Thanks Max (..... again!)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #353 on: September 22, 2019, 03:34:13 PM
This has been a great information packed journey to follow.
Many thanks for taking the time Max  :hatsoff:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #354 on: September 22, 2019, 04:25:40 PM
Great thread, Max, I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt a lot. Thanks again! Time to celebrate! :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #355 on: September 22, 2019, 05:17:11 PM
Thank you Rizio, Greg, VICMAN, Huntsman, Intorikata, comis, Sir Vic, Ron, Rapidray, Sos, Scubadawg1, FolderBeholder.  :hatsoff:

I have had fun doing this challenge! I’ve really enjoyed all the feedback and support. It’s been a great journey... still missing my Expedition Lite, so they’ll be a bonus day sometime next week and then a family photo of them all...

it Offline Mini

Reply #356 on: September 22, 2019, 06:20:56 PM
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #357 on: September 22, 2019, 10:57:10 PM
^^^ From page 7   :pok:

When you get to the age where the magnifier becomes a daily-use tool, you forget things...I mean come ON - five pages might as well be a hundred years ago! :dunno:

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #358 on: September 23, 2019, 02:15:13 PM
Please write a bit bigger - I don't have my glasses on .......

Got glasses now .....
Aha ..... That's better ....... Did I make a post on page 7 ? ........ I don't remember ......

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #359 on: September 24, 2019, 06:47:30 AM
 :hatsoff: this was a most enjoyable 30 days of amazing SAKs.  No wonder why we are all so much fans of these terrific knives.  Max this was such a well written and photographed thread.  I want to thank you for doing this and taking the time to put together something that will be referenced for a very long time. 

:hatsoff: again. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69