Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range

Max Stone · 418 · 17016

Poll

So I was asked to add my "Top 3" out of the 91mm (current) range, so here they are. You're welcome to cast your vote:

Swiss Champ
5 (38.5%)
Traveller Lite
1 (7.7%)
Compact
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 11:46:02 PM

us Offline jph_777

Re: Day by Day...a Journey down the 91mm Range
Reply #90 on: August 29, 2019, 07:30:56 PM
Max... Well done!  Are you a writer in your other life?  I look forward to reading your mini reviews each day! :salute:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: August 29, 2019, 07:40:33 PM
Another great write up, looking forward to tomorrow  :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #92 on: August 29, 2019, 08:13:20 PM
 :iagree: as am I  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: August 29, 2019, 08:45:52 PM
Thanks VICMAN, jph_777, Greg, Rapidray  :hatsoff:

Kind of a rant today...but thanks for all the feedback  :salute:
No, writing’s not my strongpoint. I just think I’ve read too many reviews in my life...  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

se Offline RF52

Reply #94 on: August 29, 2019, 09:35:47 PM
I used to have a Spartan Lite, but it's in pieces now :rofl: Some tools made it's way to my mod though :like:
Great quick reviews Max! :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #95 on: August 29, 2019, 11:50:58 PM
Thanks RF52.  :hatsoff:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #96 on: August 30, 2019, 03:38:30 AM
Great write-up.  I too love the inline phillips, but strongly prefer the other pairing of the magnifying glass, which I also like.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #97 on: August 30, 2019, 04:15:05 PM
Thanks Sos.  :hatsoff:
Yes the inline Phillips is one of the best SAK tools imo

Day 8

The last 3-layer with corkscrew I’m reviewing is the Traveler. This is really just a Climber with a digital top scale.

As I reviewed the Climber a few days ago, I’ll focus on the digital side of this SAK. Grab a cup of coffee, there’s a bit of reading here...

Victorinox used to have two different digital scale options in the 91mm range; one for time functions (the Voyager), and one for atmospheric measurements (the Altimeter). Presumably Victorinox took the opportunity to combine both when they were forced to do a redesign, possibly due to an EOL component such as the LCD display. Today we are left with just the Traveler in the 3-layer range.

The digital scale uses a real-time clock, powered by a single button cell, to keep time. Functions include hour:min display, with PM icon or 24-hours...but no seconds.

It also has a single alarm function with a basic ‘beep...beep...beep’ sound that may (or may not) wake you up.

In keeping with all good digital timepieces, it also has a countdown timer that can be set to count down to a beep...beep alarm, from 9hrs 59min, and including seconds below 10 minutes.

And it also has a stopwatch that counts up in seconds, without any sub-second recording (sorry, no chance to do the Casio start/stop reflex test here...)

Timing functions run independently, so you can time your hard-boiled eggs while you check how long the toaster takes to pop.

Rather than spoil the sleek lines of the SAK with protruding buttons, Victorinox cleverly engineered the button into the shield on the scale. Yes...just one button.

Pressing and releasing it steps through the various functions, with a little icon on the top row indicating the mode you’re in. Round clock face,  wind-up alarm clock, ding-dong bell and old-fashioned stopwatch.

Holding the button down in any of the time modes does two things. After 1 second, the back-light comes on for a few seconds (electroluminescent). Keeping the button pressed for a further second will cause it to beep once and enter the setting mode, or starting the stopwatch if in that mode.

Now the fun starts! As there is only one button, the display shows a little up arrow, allowing you to advance the time (for the clock, alarm or timer), either by press/release (single step), or by holding in (fast and after a few second, faster). If you pause and release for 2-3 seconds, the arrow automatically changes to point down, and now you can press the button to step the values backwards. If you do nothing, you get another chance (2-3 seconds later) to increase again as the arrow switches to up, and one final time down again. If you wait for the arrow to cycle up/down, you can press and adjust the time up and down indefinitely (or until the novelty wears off). Once you’re satisfied (if not a bit confused), you simply wait the 2-3 seconds without pressing the button, and the value is set. Confusingly simple.

Starting/stopping the stopwatch is a similar press-and-wait affair. The stopwatch will run 2 seconds behind the event you are timing due to the press/hold requirement, but the 2-second stop delay (also needs press/hold) means the timing will be accurate overall...somewhat clever.
Press/hold for a few more seconds resets the stopwatch.

Using just one button for all this functionality is quite challenging, and can test your patience. But with a little muscle-memory and practice, it begins to make sense.

Independent to the time-keeping circuitry, the digital scale also includes an atmospheric pressure/temperature sensor. This is utilized to calculate the estimated altitude (selectable in m or ft), barometric trend (weather forecast) and temperature (selectable in C or F).

Pressing the single button cycles through these three functions, but mixed in-between the timing functions. For some reason, Victorinox chose to have the order Time/Altitude/Baro trend/Alarm/Timer/Stopwatch/Temperature. A little triangular Matterhorn mounting icon for altitude, the word ‘baro’ for the weather trend, and no icon for temp, as I guess the degree C or F gives it away.

Press/hold in these modes also allows setting. In the altitude mode you can set the altitude to a known reference and tell the system what algorithm to use to calculate the altitude based on the measured pressure and temperature (standard, hot or cold climate). You can reset the barometric trend graph and adjust all the units when in the temperature mode.

The circuitry is fairly basic compared to some sensor-equipped watches. You cannot tell the system if you are stationary (so that pressure changes are interpreted as weather-related), so the barometric trend graph is only accurate if your altitude is relatively constant over a few hours. This also means that the altitude value will drift at one location as pressure varies due to weather.

But the sensor is extremely accurate at measuring pressure, and when calibrated (against a GPS altitude), it gives accurate readings. Just climbing one flight or stairs will show a change, and the readings across 2 devices are never more than a couple of meters apart.

The temperature needs a good half-hour to adjust from pocket to ambient (similar issue with watch-based sensors), but is also accurate to within a couple of degrees when compared to other sensors that I have.

Overall, the seven modes are quite useful and not too gimmicky. If I had the chance to suggest improvements, I’d change the bell icon to an hourglass as it’s easy to confuse the bell (timer) with the alarm clock. I’d also add the option for a hourly beep as this hardly uses any power, but is a nice reminder as time goes by. I’d also add a light sensor so that the press/hold does not activate the backlighting and drain the battery, unless it’s dark. But these are small gripes and don’t detract from the usefulness of this device.

While I’ve been tempted to pop off the digital scale (it appears to attach the conventional way), there are no tool recesses (tweezers, etc), so I’d likely damage the scales’s plastic edge or twist the circuitry which would not be good. Fortunately, the scale is transparent, although frosted, so some of the electronics are visible for the curious onlooker.

The LCD display has a really tough plastic window overlay, clearly beefed-up to prevent damage for knocks and drops. It’s also slightly recessed, reducing scratches when the SAK slides around on its top scale. The digital scale is a couple mm thicker than a normal scale, but it’s hardly noticeable and in this Climber version, does not affect its carry-ability.

With some design genius, Victorinox managed to squeeze all four Plus tools on the non-digital scale by using slightly shorter tweezers that are stored in a slot on the opposite side to the pen and toothpick. Vic also include the pin and mini-screwdriver with the digital Climber (sorry, Traveler).

One consideration is that you can never let the Traveler get wet. The electronics and battery compartment are not sealed so it could be easily damaged by water ingress if dropped in a puddle. This also means that the standard soak/rinse cleaning method is a no-no. As a side note, water generally damages low-voltage electronics not from short-circuits, but from electrolysis corrosion. Equipment can be saved if you remove the battery immediately on water contact, and dry the circuitry fully. Something worth remembering if you accidentally dunk your Traveler.

Pros:
- Fun digital features that actually work
- Digital scale is built to be tough
- Climber tool set always a winner

Cons:
- Single button interface can be frustrating
- Not sealed against water
- Very expensive for what it is

Bottom line:
While there’s really no need to have a digital timepiece with atmospheric sensors on your SAK, it’s a fun addition that adds to the already excellent “fiddle” quality of any SAK. Makes a great gift or as an emergency egg timer.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #98 on: August 30, 2019, 04:33:48 PM
Another great read Max!  :cheers:
I'm a fan of the digital scales.  I went camping and the first night my iWatch ran out of battery, no problem, my iPhone still had juice, but it was running low, it was then that I realized how nice it was to have something that didn't need plugged in each night to tell me the time.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #99 on: August 30, 2019, 04:39:14 PM
Thanks FB. You make a good point. I actually don’t know how long the battery will last. I think the electroluminescent backlighting will shorten it significantly, but I’d expect maybe 12 months normal use, similar to a sensor-equipped non-solar Casio.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: August 30, 2019, 05:35:06 PM
 :tu:.  Nice write up.  Lots of great info on that SAK. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline fullbreakfast

Reply #101 on: August 30, 2019, 06:06:49 PM
Bonus shot...the LED in use. Oh, and the button has two positions, instantaneous and latching. Which could make this SAK useful as an unattended beacon for a military deployment...or maybe not.  :facepalm:
Really enjoying these write ups, particularly the Camper with excellent saw essay and the Spartan Lite with LED character assassination. This picture tells its own story really...and may be added as an illustration next to the word 'feeble' in the dictionary.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #102 on: August 30, 2019, 06:16:16 PM
Thanks Sos.  :hatsoff:
Yes the inline Phillips is one of the best SAK tools imo

Day 8

The last 3-layer with corkscrew I’m reviewing is the Traveler. This is really just a Climber with a digital top scale.

As I reviewed the Climber a few days ago, I’ll focus on the digital side of this SAK. Grab a cup of coffee, there’s a bit of reading here...

Bottom line:
While there’s really no need to have a digital timepiece with atmospheric sensors on your SAK, it’s a fun addition that adds to the already excellent “fiddle” quality of any SAK. Makes a great gift or as an emergency egg timer.

Interesting write-up Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #103 on: August 30, 2019, 07:21:41 PM
Thanks VICMAN, Aloha, fullbreakfast  :hatsoff:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: August 30, 2019, 10:35:45 PM
Nice in depth write up  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #105 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:11 AM
Thanks Greg.  :hatsoff:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #106 on: August 31, 2019, 02:28:55 AM
Another goodie  Max - Thanks once again.

I could not believe all those functions could be controlled by one button - It's crazy - But clever.
I have a Traveller and really have to learn the button functions  :pok:
I did use it as my EDC for a while - It was really fun going to work in the lift and seeing the altimeter zoom up and down !!

I gotta disagree with this statement.
I used to do a lot of hiking and climbing (in the Alps and Scotland) - Of course I always have a SAK with me - Which used to be my Huntsman - although saw not really needed.
I also used to carry a separate altimeter which is a very important navigational tool - As is a timepiece BTW!! - Especially in low cloud or white out conditions.

Everyone thinks a compass is the most important navigational tool - But the watch and altimeter are equally important - As you have to know when you expect to arrive at your destination based on your bearing and distance - And if you can check your height too when you get there - Then you have a very good chance of very accurate navigation and progress.

Now I have a Traveller I have my SAK and altimeter and timepiece all in one!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #107 on: August 31, 2019, 09:27:23 AM
Yes, much like sensor watches (like Casio G-Shock, Protrek, etc), most are never used where the information they supply can be of real value (like your hiking example), and I suspect that 4 out of 5 Travelers fall into this category too. In the watch collecting forums, they refer to ‘desk divers’ when a watch designed for diving (100m+) is used more in a terrestrial environment (the owner may not even swim). The Traveler’s sensors are certainly very capable and it would be a good pocket choice for hiking. However, I still maintain it’s a SAK of interest mostly for its fun-factor.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: August 31, 2019, 03:40:49 PM
Hi Max,

I just got caught up on your challenge this morning.  Fantastic reading and highly enjoyable, and this from guy who's been collecting/accumulating VSAKs for 40 years.

What compelled me to reply, other than to offer my compliments and thanks, is this write up on the Traveller.  I've resisted these non-traditional SAKs my whole life (e.g., the timekeeper, ick) but your mini-article has convinced me I need one.  I'm a mechanical watch nerd, so I always know the time and don't want to have to rely on batteries for time-telling.  However, I love knowing the temperature on a camping trip, and barometric and altitude data would just be fun to have as well.  Finally, although I'm not a scuba diver, I usually will wear a dive watch on a camping trip because the timing bezel is so handy for things like cooking rice or oatmeal.  However, sometimes I won't have a dive watch on and then you're really screwed for timing simple events. 

Obviously the answer here is the Traveller!  Your article convinced me, and I'll be buying one the next time Victorinox has a site-wide sale or promotion.  Thanks again and congratulations on your amazing challenge.  I suspect there are a lot of other people like me who are reading it and following along without leaving specific comments.

Myron

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #109 on: August 31, 2019, 04:03:52 PM
Thank you Myron for your encouragement, and you can’t go wrong with the Traveler for its extra functionality. I have the Traveler Lite too (will be reviewed later in the challenge) which may be an even better option as you get the LED and inline Phillips, if you’re OK with 4 layers.  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #110 on: August 31, 2019, 06:45:20 PM
Day 9

The next 3-layer SAK we tackle is the well-known Super Tinker. A most fitting name, with Victorinox adding scissors to the central layer of the classic Tinker design.

Effectively a Climber with a Phillips driver replacing the corkscrew, the Super Tinker is one of the more popular of the 3-layered SAKs in Vic’s 91mm range.

Arguably the more useful back tool, the Phillips cross tip is a decent size and will engage all but the smallest Phillips screw heads.

However, the problem is that the driver only extends 38mm (1.5in), and with the ‘T’-shaped deployment position, ergonomics are somewhat challenging. This back tool layout is fine to extract corks, but less than ideal for driving screws. This may partly explain why there are only six 91mm SAKs with it, compared to 22 with the corkscrew.

The Super Tinker is a little sleeker to carry compared to the Climber, as the Phillips tucks into the body of the SAK much better than the corkscrew. But then again, you cannot attach the mini screwdriver accessory as you can with the corkscrew.

There’s also something to be said about the ‘look’ of a SAK. In many ways, one with a corkscrew just looks nicer than the Phillips equivalent. Many may disagree or not consider this important, but there is a little more history and nostalgia with the corkscrew versions.

Pros:
- Phillips more useful than a corkscrew
- Excellent scissors
- Affordable pocket carry

Cons:
- Phillips can be awkward to use
- in-line Phillips Is better if you need this tool

Bottom line:
An extremely capable little SAK that sits right in the sweet spot of function, affordability and size. Does not have the same charm as the Climber, but probably the more sensible choice.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: August 31, 2019, 07:24:17 PM
Another great day! Great photo’s!  :tu: :cheers:

us Offline jph_777

Reply #112 on: August 31, 2019, 08:18:08 PM
Another great exposition on a great SAK variation.  :salute:
However, regarding the "Pros", I am of the school that the corkscrew (and mini screwdriver) is more valuable (to me) than the philips, especially because the can opener "philips" actually has worked out quite well as a philips scewdriver for me when needed.  I guess I drink more wine and tighten more mini screws than I do philips screws.   :pok:
Keep up the good work!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #113 on: August 31, 2019, 09:11:47 PM
Great Day 9 pics and review Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: August 31, 2019, 09:29:19 PM
 :iagree: :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #115 on: August 31, 2019, 09:56:35 PM
Thanks Rapidray, Greg, VICMAN, jph_777.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #116 on: August 31, 2019, 11:13:24 PM
Thanks Rapidray, Greg, VICMAN, jph_777.  :hatsoff:
Not a problem  :cheers:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: September 01, 2019, 04:06:47 AM
Interesting pictures with the disassembled SAK layers.
- Steve

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #118 on: September 01, 2019, 09:50:59 AM
Thanks smiller43147. Debating next build...  :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #119 on: September 01, 2019, 03:41:19 PM
Super Tinker was my partners main carry for a while.  Really great SAK. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD