Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Geekey

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Geekey
on: August 24, 2019, 04:21:21 AM
I'm not a huge fan of one piece tools but something about this one appeals to me:

A little pricey but not crazy

https://www.getgeekey.com/

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Geekey
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 04:49:45 AM
I am not a fan of those key size “tools”. Wonder what kind of bolts one would open with those. There is not a lot of space to get some leverage. I think even the large tweezers on a Handyman/Swisschamp would do a better job.

If you get one I would like to hear your thoughts though  :popcorn:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 09:18:16 AM
This got to be the first OTP I've seen with a smoking pipe integrated.  :sa:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 09:39:19 AM
Back when I smoked hand rolled cigarettes, I was on a hike and my rolling papers fell into a puddle. At the top of the mountain I crafted a small pipe out of wood with my Vic Farmer, to have a couple of puffs of tobacco. I suppose this could have come in handy  :dunno:

Also it supposedly fits robbie screws, which I assumed would get our Canadian friends interested.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 10:51:09 AM
I have one, but I haven’t used it much.  It is slightly bigger and thicker than some of the other key tools so you do get a little more leverage than some.  The serrated edge cuts pretty good.  The phillips is not going to do any hard duty can works fairly well on basic items.  I can’t say as I have tried the pipe part

As far as OPMTs, I would consider it one of the better ones I have tried, but like all of them it does have its shortcomings.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 06:28:47 AM
I got one today. I got it primarily because I've been working a lot and haven't bought a new toy in nearly two months, so figured it was about time. I've only tried the drivers on a few different phillips and flat head screws and it seems to grab quite nicely. The file is single cut and not very aggressive and sort of awkward to use but with some effort it will smooth down an annoying fingernail edge. The bottle opener works well and has plenty of leverage but it takes a sec to figure out how to hold it right. Overall it seems nicely made and has a quality feel to it. If it does well with package opening, it may find a role in my life.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 08:14:21 AM
Certainly interesting. If its cutter works as well or better than the NiteIze QuicKey, then it offers more useful features and may interest me. :like:

Offline davedelgado

• New User
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 02:27:46 PM
I got one today. I got it primarily because I've been working a lot and haven't bought a new toy in nearly two months, so figured it was about time. I've only tried the drivers on a few different phillips and flat head screws and it seems to grab quite nicely. The file is single cut and not very aggressive and sort of awkward to use but with some effort it will smooth down an annoying fingernail edge. The bottle opener works well and has plenty of leverage but it takes a sec to figure out how to hold it right. Overall it seems nicely made and has a quality feel to it. If it does well with package opening, it may find a role in my life.

(Image removed from quote.)

How's the screwdriver holding up?
Looking to buy one, bit concerned about the steel' durability.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 05:45:40 AM
I bought one and really didn't care for it. It's been sitting in a drawer since I bought it.  :-\
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline lipoff

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 12:34:27 PM
I find this to be one of the most thoughtfully engineered OPMTs out there; it is very compact and has many functions, but is a bit thick.

The screwdriver tip is excellent: it works well for flathead screws, and yet is twisted in an unusual way (not sure I have seen this design on any other tool, in fact), such that it works surprisingly well for Phillips screws.  It's also sharp enough to be useful for opening packages, but blunt enough not to poke a hole in a pocket or hurt your skin.

The bottle opener works well and can lift a cap in one fell swoop.

Because it's twice a thick as many multitools it is able to have both imperial and metric wrenches on a single tool.  It has 4, 6, 6, 8, and 13mm wrenches on one side and  and ⅛, ³⁄₁₆, ¼, ⁵⁄₁₆, ⅜, ⁷⁄₁₆" wrenches on the other side.  On the other hand it is just over twice as thick as a Leatherman #6 and a Leatherman #8 (which would give 6, 8, 10, 13 and 15mm wrenches and  ⁵⁄₁₆, ⅜, ⁷⁄₁₆, ½ and ⅝" wrenches).

The keyring hole is well positioned.

The ¼" bit driver is fiddly to use because it's not magnetic and there's too much play, and of course, there is no bit storage in the tool.

The file is not useful, even for fingernails, the internal serrated edge is only marginally useful in a pinch, and the ruler is very short but accurately engraved.  I have not used any of the other features of the tool.

The surface finish has held up well, and the tool is not slippery in hand.

Overall, the screwdriver tip is terrific and I have only seen one or two other tools that use the trick of putting both metric and imperial wrenches on opposing sides.  Overall, I find it extremely well built and thoughtfully designed, but a bit thick.  Thus, I rarely carry it on my keychain, but it hangs right next to the phone in my kitchen and sees frequent use there.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 04:02:15 AM
Interesting.  I feel like full credit should be awarded to any OPMT that includes a functional smoking pipe.   :tu:  Has anyone actually tried this feature?

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 05:20:24 AM
I... I thought you guys were making some kind of MTO joke I wasn't getting. A pipe... I mean I assume the 'bowl' doubles as a hex wrench, but even if you were inclined to stick your mouth on something that's been dangling on your keys is it even practical for either kind of smoking (because let's face it, tobacco is not the sole intended use)?

The wire stripping edge being the lanyard hole also strikes me as... curious
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%