Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NEW ST300 FROM LM??

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: NEW ST300 FROM LM??
Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 12:32:00 AM
Looks cool, but there's a lot of "ain't broke" stuff they fixed. Honestly, other than weight, I saw nothing wrong with the old model.I did feel it could use the "Blade Exchanger" as on the EOD model (in place of file--it can always use the Surge removable one), and something needed to be done to address the easily bent small screwdriver. To me, the Rebar and ST300 are LM's best current offerings. Really comfortable to use, and "no bull" (gadgety, flimsy features--like the bit driver)--it's why I find myself carrying either the Rebar or ST300 regularly. No matter what gloves I'm wearing, I can easily get to their tools. Clumping is the enemy of many, but a strong ally when you're wearing gloves.

Yet, this new ST 300 variant is a lot of bull. The saw has been deleted (a tool I use A LOT), there's a bit driver (you can always use the Gerber adapter on most LM dedicated Phillips should you need to use a specialty bit; which for me is always T-27), and while cool, the pry bar is unnecessary (medium and large flat drivers easily serve that capacity for light use). And I see it's still got that flimsy small screwdriver. However, I love that long awl. Good for scraping.

For those wondering why I hate the bit driver--LM's bits are soft and 2D, the bit driver has no reach, and it's got a spring which can fail. I just hope this isn't standard; but instead another special variant.

I' ll say that these two things are my feelings exactly. Or just ditch the wood saw can/bottle opener and give me the blade exchanger and I'll be happy!
Still prefer the old awl though.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 01:06:24 AM
I was gonna get a ST300 in an upcoming order. It may have to wait. I was hoping thatd come in coyote. Looks beautifullll  :like:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 30, 2019, 02:45:58 AM
Very interesting  :o just because it doesn't have a saw doesn't mean I can't take it apart for some of it's other parts :whistle: :like: :like: :like:
My thoughts too... :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: August 30, 2019, 04:23:01 AM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 04:23:18 AM

Offline ABURABURA

Reply #35 on: August 30, 2019, 03:04:15 PM

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: August 30, 2019, 07:00:55 PM
I'm pretty limp - no saw.  :facepalm:

My pretty limb... no saw  :ahhh

Seriously though, I would not have much use for that prybar, neither for an awl shaped like that (the Surge awl is great).
I need a saw though  :dunno:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: August 30, 2019, 07:03:48 PM
A saw is high on my 'wants' list, too.  :iagree:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: August 30, 2019, 07:22:43 PM
I rather see a set of scissors. And gimme my saw back, please. Another vote here for the long-shanked Phillips driver. The new awl design looks interesting. The pry thingy leaves me unexcited; I definitely rather have my saw. Lastly I have to agree with Steve that the can opener is not needed on this particular Leatherman. In place of the can opener I'd rather see scissors, a bit driver, dedicated wire strippers (of various gauges), a replaceable hacksaw blade, Vic-style chisel/box cutter, or even a pen blade. Lose the serrated blade and make sure there is a decent file on board. MIM'ed parts......?

I don't see anything there to coax me away from my original Super Tool. Leatherman has been moving backwards in terms of quality and design, in my opinion.

I keep hoping that a new, serious, multitool developer will come along. I see room in the market for a well made, well designed, rugged multitool. I don't think we actually have one of those available right now. I'd love to see a Japanese company take the multitool concept and run with it: good engineering, good steel, and good manufacturing. We wouldn't be able to open our wallets fast enough........

:iagree:

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #39 on: August 31, 2019, 11:43:37 PM
What they really need is  LM Light series. Just sell empty scales with pliers (Surge, Rebar ...) and then separately sell inner and/or outside tools (blades, files, bit drivers, awl ...) by customer wish. Add an app that will tell you what and how many tools can go in one scale and this is it! Even if this series is 10-20$ more expensive im sure a lots of people would customise there LM.  :dunno:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: September 01, 2019, 02:21:20 AM
What they really need is  LM Light series. Just sell empty scales with pliers (Surge, Rebar ...) and then separately sell inner and/or outside tools (blades, files, bit drivers, awl ...) by customer wish. Add an app that will tell you what and how many tools can go in one scale and this is it! Even if this series is 10-20$ more expensive im sure a lots of people would customise there LM.  :dunno:

This,  :iagree:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #41 on: September 01, 2019, 10:59:07 AM
I prefer the fixed Phillips to the bit driver.
I prefer the other reamer to the new, especially since the new replaces the saw.
The pry bar does not interest me. If they want to make an old model with updated tool set, then put the jigsaw holder, diamond file, scissors, chisel.

An interesting offering, not at all bad. Maybe we'll see more multi-tools updated with different tool sets.  :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: September 01, 2019, 01:36:48 PM
 :iagree:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #43 on: September 01, 2019, 05:08:08 PM
not really an improvement over the OG ST300 for me, and I agree with most of the comments already said  :dunno:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #44 on: September 01, 2019, 05:18:09 PM
What is puzzling to me, is why reinvent a new tool from a old style, instead of building upon the newer FREE series they have developed???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #45 on: September 01, 2019, 06:36:03 PM
What is puzzling to me, is why reinvent a new tool from a old style, instead of building upon the newer FREE series they have developed???

ST300 is heavy duty tool. Maybe they don't belive that Free series "chasis" is strong and sturdy enough to survive all that abuse  :dunno:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #46 on: September 01, 2019, 06:43:37 PM
It's got no saw, it's got no saw, I can't get it up 'cos it's got no saw...

us Offline cody6268

Reply #47 on: September 01, 2019, 07:40:14 PM
I presume LM is pretty much marketing more towards mechanics and industrial maintenance personnel, as opposed to the general user.  Working on a car, or in a factory, you probably won't need a saw.

And as for the can opener--why not replace it with something like the (fixed; as opposed to the bulkier reversible replacement) really small screwdriver from the original Super Tool? It's a tool I really want to see return. Most older models had it; especially from the pre-2004 time period.  I find a use for that little driver every week--can openers, not that often; and besides, LM's is not as efficient as a Vic.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: September 02, 2019, 03:31:35 AM
I'm having a hard on  :drool:

Holy smurf...I'm OMG! :ahhh :ahhh :gimme: :gimme:

Seriously though, why the smurf do they keep putting bottle openers into a heavy duty tool. Also why not a damn diamond file instead of the flat cut? I'll stock to my st300EOD /surge hybrid. I still want it though because I can fit the prybar and awl into my setup. Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:39:06 AM by Happy Gilmore »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #49 on: September 02, 2019, 03:17:32 PM

IIRC Gerber did something like that years ago with the "Build your own" program for the MP600 (they even let you pick what colour handles you wanted).  I believe it wasn't a commercial success.  I suspect that the volume buyers don't know their requirements well enough, nor are they willing to wait while a custom version is created for them.  But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

https://www.wired.com/2001/04/multi-plier-600/
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #50 on: September 02, 2019, 03:40:38 PM
IIRC Gerber did something like that years ago with the "Build your own" program for the MP600 (they even let you pick what colour handles you wanted).  I believe it wasn't a commercial success.  I suspect that the volume buyers don't know their requirements well enough, nor are they willing to wait while a custom version is created for them.  But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

https://www.wired.com/2001/04/multi-plier-600/

:-\
Yeah, probably. Most people want to buy now and they expect to have it tomorrow. Or they don't know what tools they really need so it is easier to buy something what is on a market even if this MT have 5 tools they will never use.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #51 on: September 03, 2019, 02:27:10 PM
ST300 is heavy duty tool. Maybe they don't belive that Free series "chasis" is strong and sturdy enough to survive all that abuse  :dunno:
Yet, this has many features or would be able to be more adaptable on a Surge frame than a ST300.

The final product may have no similarities to either, other than the plier head. 

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%