Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade vs Case - the Sodbuster Wars

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Schrade vs Case - the Sodbuster Wars
on: August 27, 2019, 05:35:52 AM
I picked up both the IMP22 and IMP22L (large) for almost nothing off of eBay. $6 for the small one, $9 for the large, both brand new. I have a Case large sodbuster and I've played with the small ones, and the Schrades are not bad.

Schrade Pros: Thicker blade, comes to a finer point, stronger backspring, nice logo, very nice handles. DIRT FRIGGIN CHEAP
Schrade Cons:  Finer point - the Case is more sodbustery, and if the shape is important the Case has it perfect. The Schrade's opening and closing action is not smooth, feels like there is a tiny bit of grit in the pivot on both the small and large Schrade, even after an oiling. That might work itself out over time.

The Case's backspring is rather weak compared to the Schrade. It's a lot smoother to open and close, however. The Case has a quality feel to it when opening and closing that the Schrade lacks. It feels slightly rough. However, once open the Schrade resists closing much more strongly, and the balance of the open knife in the hand is almost identical. In all honesty, the rough feeling opening and closing is really minor, and may be all due to the stronger backspring. The Scrhade is slightly thicker, with less variation in the scales from knife to knife. The Case's handles are polished and smooth and feel better in the hand, but there is a lot more variation in the handles. My Case has an area by the center rivet where the polisher was left on the knife too long, and it makes the handles asymmetrical in that area. Schrade handles are slightly matte, and my brand new knife had marks on it. Nothing major, but if you reflect some light off the handles there are visible marks. Likely from manufacturing, dumped in a bin, then sorted and boxed? Not sure, but there are minor marks.The Schrade has a half stop, which is nice. The case does not.

The Schrade blade is ridonkulously sharp. Receipt paper doesn't stand a chance. It's really, really good out of the box.

Overall... well, the large case can be had for $30 or so. More for the CV blade (like I have), or for rarer colors (like the tomato red I have). The Schrade can be had for $9 for the large one, $6 for the small. The case operates more smoothly. Both are constructed very well, of good materials and finishes. Both come very sharp. The half stop and the extra strong backspring of the Schrade might be worth more to some people than the smoothness and good feel of the Case, especially on a knife that sees a lot of use. It's a crapshoot as to which is better because of that.

But the schrade is defintiely cheaper. And there's a glut of them on the market right now. I've been stockpiling them for xmas gifts.

Charles.
IMG_6609.jpg
* IMG_6609.jpg (Filesize: 80.5 KB)
IMG_6611.jpg
* IMG_6611.jpg (Filesize: 84.92 KB)
IMG_6613.jpg
* IMG_6613.jpg (Filesize: 77.84 KB)
IMG_6614.jpg
* IMG_6614.jpg (Filesize: 89.9 KB)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:41:03 AM by SteveC »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Schrade vs Case - the Sodbuster Wars
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 06:47:35 AM
That red looks great  :tu:.  I've got a Case Jr yellow and a Case black (large) and both are really nice.  The large one is an older one, IIRC 1970s?  They both are silly sharp and are great in hand. 

Nice to hear for the price the Schrades are good to go.  Hopefully the grittiness will work itself out.   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 04:27:30 PM
I mistyped and can’t edit now. The schrade is $9 for the large and $6 for the small on amazon and eBay right now. Not the case, which generally runs $30-$50.

Charles.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 07:55:27 PM
 :hatsoff:.  I figured that was overlooked as I believe did others.  Thank you for making the correction just in CASE  ;)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 05:42:59 AM
I mistyped and can’t edit now. The schrade is $9 for the large and $6 for the small on amazon and eBay right now. Not the case, which generally runs $30-$50.

Charles.

I edited it for you    ;)

I kind of like the blade shape on the Schrade better  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 10:25:34 PM
I just snagged a beautiful Aitor mini sodbuster. I'll have to post it here when I get around to taking photos!

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 06:07:07 PM
Here is the aitor sodbuster compared to the schrade Imperial.

Unlike the schrade, the aitor blade is highly polished. The handles are real wood and feel great in my hand. The aitor has a nice half stop, where the small schrade doesn’t (the large does though). It opens very stiffly, but unlike the schrade it’s smooth action. The lanyard hole is a nice touch. There is no blade play.

It’s not all rosy. The blade isn’t that sharp. It can cut paper, but barely. The edge on the blade is normally ground on one side, and barely there on the other. Brand new out of the box, it needs 20-30 min on a landsky to correct the misgrind and make it actually sharp. The schrade comes sharp enough to cut receipt paper.

That said, the finish and the feel of the wood scales actually makes this one of my favorite knives.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD