Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yeoman with Wood Saw and Metal Saw/File

us Offline jph_777

Yeoman with Wood Saw and Metal Saw/File
on: August 26, 2019, 08:13:15 PM
Well, I couldn't resist...  After modding a Yeoman, then a Yeoman with a Wood Saw, it seemed like I really needed a Yeoman with both a Wood Saw and a Metal Saw.  So here it is.  I've also included a photo showing the relative sizes of a 2 layer Compact, a 3 layer Yeoman, a 4 layer Yeoman WS, and the newest 5 layer Yeoman WS&MS.   (The Yeoman for urban use, the Yeoman WS for outdoor activities, and the Yeoman MSWS for all around use.)  Thanks to Max Stone, Comis, Jaya_Man, JasonJ, McStitchy and Syph for all the inspiration of late!
SAK -Yeoman comparisons-2929.jpg
* SAK -Yeoman comparisons-2929.jpg (Filesize: 433.58 KB)
SAK -Yeoman comparisons-2951.jpg
* SAK -Yeoman comparisons-2951.jpg (Filesize: 486.84 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Yeoman with Wood Saw and Metal Saw/File
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 08:40:42 PM
Jph_777, that's good work!  Seems like the mod bug got you good, who knows you may make another one with just the metal saw. :D :pok:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 03:53:21 AM
Nice job.  Yeoman variations seem to be very popular lately. 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 05:23:34 AM
Those are nice!  :like: :tu:

us Offline jph_777

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 12:14:58 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Comis, Sos24 and Rapidray!

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 01:48:35 AM
Nice work !    :cheers:

us Offline jph_777

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 07:27:52 PM
Thanks, SteveC!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:11:37 AM
Great work ph_777...this may be on my mod list too!  :like:

It’s a bit more work, but I build a new spring for the saw, using the opener backspring with the tip rest area of the saw’s backspring. Means you can drop in the awl. Needs a thin spacer on the saw tip rest and for the saw’s pivot, but it works really well.

(Small adjustment also needed to the opener backspring where it meets saw pivot so that the saw closed fully).

Nice to see all the Yeoman mods. What do we call this one - the Yeoman WMS?  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline jph_777

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 06:25:52 PM
Thanks, Max!  I saw your other post on your idea to incorporate the awl... good concept and execution. 
For the Yeoman with both the wood saw and metal saw, I had been referring to it as the Yeoman WSMS (I think I saw that reference here on MTo from someone else), but Yeoman WMS works well too.  Those names should not cause any confusion.   I think the smallest (least layered) SAK to incorporate both a wood saw and a metal saw is the Ranger.  I was trying to figure out a descriptive name that would incorporate both of those, to no avail.  It would be fun to have descriptive names for all the various mods people are making instead of letters tacked on to the end of the name. :)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 07:03:20 PM
Yes, naming them is always a challenge. The Yeoman mod seems fair enough as it’s close to the original with just the scissors/Phillips layers swapped around. But Vic never did anything beyond 3 layers (Yeoman and Trail Guide). Vic themselves tack on second names to signify additional tools, like the Super and Deluxe Tinker, Master Fisherman, Champion Plus, etc. more recently the Cybertool S/M/L.

Maybe the Master Yeoman for the Yeoman mod with wood saw & file and leave the others as Yeoman WS or Yeoman MS as these seem to be gaining popularity?

The other option is to pick new names, maybe related to Yeoman (like Vic did with the mountain-named versions). Names like Ravenmaster, Beefeater and Supercargo are quite fun...I may just pick one or two of these...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline jph_777

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 05:58:40 PM
Master Yeoman sounds good (but so would Super Yeoman and Deluxe Yeoman).  Also could be Yeoman Plus, Yeoman Extra, Yeoman Ranger, etc.  Of course WS MS WSMS or WMS are all a little more precise and descriptive. :dunno:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 07:06:24 PM
Master Yeoman is my pick for your build. Has a Master Yoda sounds to it.  :cheers:

us Offline jph_777

Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 08:00:55 PM
Master Yeoman it is then!  Thanks for the suggestion. :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 10:03:01 PM
👍

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%