Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

There's just no turning back.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
There's just no turning back.
on: August 13, 2019, 03:05:24 PM
I've been browsing the threads discussing a time when many of us had one SAK, one knife, one MT, one light, one whatever item that got us through a day.  Its interesting to hear of what was carried, be it a Craftsmen keychain 4 way screwdriver, simple pocket knife inherited from dad, original PST picked up in the 80's/90's, even a Maglite.

Many decided to keep up with the times.  Newer steels were introduced, newer lights ( LEDs ), more choices of MTs, and a slew of keychain gadgets.  Others stuck with the tools they were familiar with and what worked for them.  Watches are part of the story too.  Solar technology, Atomic time keeping, nearly indestructible watches that pretty much do it all.  Times keep moving as does technology.  A certain segment continued with the tried and true while some tried the newer stuff only to come back to what was familiar and what worked. 

I read over and over again how the search for the perfect tool drives unintended "collections".  There's more to it than that I suspect.  In my estimation there wont be a catch all to describe those of us on this quest for the perfect tool.  Even those who seem to have found the perfect tool for now still seem to be on this quest unwittingly. 

I think once we set upon the quest for the perfect tool its a journey that does slow or even stop but it does in fact continue on and on and on.  Years may go by with the same tool carried over and over again but alas the journey continues.  I see it happen over and over again and its not a bad thing, embrace it.  Have fun with it.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Re: There's just no turning back.
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:25:08 PM
 :iagree: I switched from SAK to LM to benchmade back to LM and now SAK again.
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:45:04 PM
I can agree with that. On the MT - Gerber and Leatherman and now that I am retired...no MT at all. The fix blade and 2 or 3 pocket knives are usually my standard carry now.  :cheers:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:52:11 PM
Over the last 6 years or so, I've had 2 main EDC: first a Compact, and then the Pioneer X.  Happy with both.
But if Vic suddenly started producing the 84mm Golfer (again) or a Cadet X, I'd have to acquire them to try out, and possibly become my new EDC.
- Steve

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 04:58:32 PM
I've started the journey with a Victorinox Original Traveller (Climber without keyring and hook).
A few years later I saw a friend's new Puma folder and thought I need a folder like that as well and got a Herbertz (around the size of a Buck Ranger).
But quickly figured that wasn't what I need.
So got a Vic. SwissChamp somewhat later.
That was good but got company from a LM OG Supertool another few years after.

The journey stopped a bit here until 2010 where a LM Wave followed etc.etc. etc. ...

I'm not a collector so "mostly" the tools and knifes I buy are to be used. Over the years my needs and habits changed so the tool choices did too.

Sure enough it's nice to be able to change up the EDC a bit from time to time. It's great to have a bit of a choice.

Why should it stop?  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 06:05:01 PM
I don't want to go back to before I had tool options, but I don't want any more options either. I've reached a point where just getting more stuff I don't need just isn't fun anymore. In fact, it's actually rather annoying.

I've dumped the bulk of my stuff in a cardboard box, and stuffed it out of the way. The few tools I've left out, are what I'm going to try and stick with using, only opening that box if I need to replace something that got lost or broke, or in case I get tempted with a purchase, to remind myself that I already have too much.

Many of those items have some kind of story to tell, and I'm in no rush to part with them. However, I don't need to be faced with a double digit number of choices, every time I open the knife/tool. Oddly, since I made that move, I've hardly used any of the options I left out. Just one Swiss knife, two traditional folders, one pliers tools, and one sheath knife. There's several great pocket knives and tools in that box, but I simply don't need them all, nor any more. Neither do I need the constant reminder of how much crap I have that isn't getting used, except if I get the urge for a new shiny.

I guess the primary function of those excess tools now, is to stop me buying more.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 06:29:23 PM
I think finding the perfect gear is almost like a rhetorical question, and in the end, it's all about what we "need vs want", kinda half full vs half empty.

If all you want is to find perfect tool/gear/gadget, you might just never find what you need.

But if you find what you need, and happy with it, you won't really want another tool/gear/gadget.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 01:31:57 AM
I just need one more. :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 01:42:44 AM
 :iagree:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:05 PM
For my a SAK couldn't work simply because of the blade steel.
I'm a steel nerd, not a steel snob, so I don't need "more" than 14C28 or 154CM.

I also looked for the perfect setup, and even my minimalist setup (Skyline/Olight/LM Squirt) cluttered my pockets, I've reverted to just the Skyline or the PM3 for fancy occasions  :P

That said, a slightly upgraded SAK would really be the business.  Apart from the flashlight, a knife covers just about all my needs even when inappropriate to the task.  A SAK with something you could use to scrape or pry and a blade with better edge retention would be a winner....

Fortunately the collection that pains me (financially) is my fixed blades  :facepalm:

My Enlan "locking mechanisms of the world" collection was relatively cheap, the rest are all users.

us Offline Cathode Flats

Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 02:52:33 PM
Extremely happy with my daily tool companions. A Vic Spirit since 2005 and a Jetbeam torch, since 2011 or 12. I am constantly surrounded by dedicated tools, so the pocket stuff, while constant, and used frequently, are back-ups. Keeps me from being a total victim to the environment, so to speak. I am not all all concerned about how things look, much more interested in how they perform and complete tasks.
Most website ' EDC-whats in your trousers', bag, etc.etc  threads are sleeping aids for me :D
It's one, of many, reasons I frequent this forum. It's a healthy mix of how-to's and what for's type of posts. There is something here for every multi-tool user, collector and fan. :hatsoff:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 03:10:46 PM
Well thanks for your kind words and welcome to  :MTO: Cathode Flats  :hatsoff:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 04:26:26 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 03:32:51 PM
 :iagree:  It's nice to hear of tools being used for years and years.  I keep circling back around.  A tool that I moved on from seems to creep back into my carry.  The one SAK that bee my go to is my Manager. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 02:48:35 AM
I started really buying knives after being in the bbn workforce a couple years, circa late 2007. Sometime last year, I hit a wall. Hard. I unloaded, sold, junked, donated, and gave away somewhere around 75 to 80% of my collection. I have around 20 folders left, a couple fixed blades, and still mostly use my Classic. Plus razor blade, plus kitchen knife, yada yada. I just don't use them that much, and no longer enjoy the acquisition part of the hobby.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 06:38:51 AM
I go thru phases.  I am ready to unload till I go thru my tools rediscovering how much I like them.  I've always been a user and curious to find the best for me.  As the opportunity arises I buy and try.  Generally I'll move along tools I know I just dont click with but sometimes I'll hang on to it because I like to revisit a particular tool.  I have a pretty stable rotation of tools that have worked well for me for years BUT I do enjoy trying new ones.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 09:08:31 AM
The quest to find “the one” (of whatever it is) is interesting and in many ways never ending.  “The One” may not exist or you may not really understand what the characteristics are that you want.  It can also be a matter of reaching the understanding that depending on the situation or environment, your needs may be different.  Also, needs and wants may not mesh and therefore require compromise.

On my search, I have finally gotten to the point where I know what it is that I want depending on certain environments and circumstances. 

I have also realized in many instances what are the shortcomings of what I currently have, to understand whether or not the next new thing will better fit my needs or not before I buy it.

Now with some things collecting can still be fun as long as you realize that is what you are doing. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 11:59:52 AM
The quest to find “the one” (of whatever it is) is interesting and in many ways never ending.  “The One” may not exist or you may not really understand what the characteristics are that you want.  It can also be a matter of reaching the understanding that depending on the situation or environment, your needs may be different.  Also, needs and wants may not mesh and therefore require compromise.

On my search, I have finally gotten to the point where I know what it is that I want depending on certain environments and circumstances. 

I have also realized in many instances what are the shortcomings of what I currently have, to understand whether or not the next new thing will better fit my needs or not before I buy it.

Now with some things collecting can still be fun as long as you realize that is what you are doing.

Of course "The One" exists!

:pok: :pok:

Show content
I got lots of them myself!

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 03:34:05 AM
Ive only recently got addicted to MTs but when I shop, I look for a different variation of tools. Some tools I prefer on any tool would be a Saw.

Since I only have LM's thats all i can speak for but I plan on getting a SAK for a few reasons. Same with some fixed blades to round everything out. One thing I do not need is a plain folder. I have plenty of them, although not high end or big names, theyve gotten the job done.

Ill keep hunting  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 04:12:33 PM
SAK saws are small but they eat wood and other materials.  Lots of great fixed blades out there and while I have some pricier ones I still fancy my Mora as does my daughter and Partner.  Great knife to get you going and see what you might prefer or a wonderful companion blade.  Not much you wont be able to do with a SAK and Mora and some skills.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 05:01:53 PM
I am not one for “rotation” , I have many multitools and knives but I like them pristine. For use I have a wave for work, which I have just replaced as it was pretty worn out. A CS4 for when I am not at work and a PS4 on my keys. These three are my holy trinity of multitools, that honestly have everything covered and I don’t actualy “need” anything more.

I have a skeletool I used for a while when I could not find my wave, but now is thrown in a draw as I don’t like combo blades and I find using the screwdriver awkward as it does not rotate naturally around the screwdriver tip due to the design of the handles.

I also have a red alox Vic lumberjack which I carry on evenings out where I feel carrying anything more inappropriate or unnecessary.

I use a gerber in the garden  but that only got used because it came with a very poorly ground blade which I retouched rendering it no longer new so I thought I may aswell use it for something.

What I have added to my users lately is a knifeless rebar that lives in my manbag with a bantam.
And a very nice fallkniven u1 which I pocket when carrying the bag.

What started all this was the Vic huntsman. For many many years before discovering multitools I always kept a huntsman on my keys that way I always had it on my when out of the house.

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 04:16:44 PM
Thanks chip.  I know if all I was left with was my Charge TTi and Explorer Plus Id be good to go.  Oh wait, and my Manager.  Oh and my Squirt. 

I enjoy seeing members rotate thru all their tools.  I am not one who does that necessarily.  I stick with what works and even tho I may try something I usually come back to what worked.  There have been a few exceptions. 

I bought a majority of all my tools previously owned as my goal was to try them out to see how well I liked them.  Many came in really great shape and many were moved along.  I used to buy all the MTs I came upon but I no longer do that.  Now I only buy interesting ones or ones I plan to move along. 

I did recently get a Wengerinox 776 ( Handyman ) https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82592.0.html
I thought it was really neat and had to have it.  I've carried it but in all honesty it wont replace my Explorer. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD