Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I couldn't find any info on this tool online?

Offline Helmsmith

I couldn't find any info on this tool online?
on: August 26, 2019, 07:43:37 AM
So, I've just acquired my 1st (decent) multi-tool.

I traded it for an old bayonet I'd gotten as a young teen (which I believe was an M4 bayonet for the M1 carbine) which I had no practical use for (besides setimental), & decided to exchange it for something I'd value just as much. I looked through the selection of used multi-tools at a gun & antique show until I found this, that had all the features I was looking for.

It's pretty scratched on the hinge screws, has plenty of small rust marks, & is a bit crooked (probably from someone trying to twist with the piers), but I can fix pretty much all of that.

I'm very happy with my trade, but was surprised that I couldn't find any info about it online. No reviews, no prices... I couldn't even find a picture of one!
That is what led me to find this forum.
Usually I'm pretty good at Google research, but am striking out this time.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? The only markings are DEFENDER etched into the handle,  and "stainless steel" stamped inside the handle.

Any info would be appreciated.
Defender multi-tool (2 of 5).jpg
* Defender multi-tool (2 of 5).jpg (Filesize: 469.56 KB)
Defender multi-tool (1 of 5).jpg
* Defender multi-tool (1 of 5).jpg (Filesize: 286.08 KB)
Defender multi-tool (3 of 5).jpg
* Defender multi-tool (3 of 5).jpg (Filesize: 378.53 KB)
Defender multi-tool (4 of 5).jpg
* Defender multi-tool (4 of 5).jpg (Filesize: 391.99 KB)

Offline Helmsmith

Re: I couldn't find any info on this tool online?
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:51:46 AM
Besides all the attachments that I wanted being there, they ALL lock.
Also, one of the nicest things is that, the way the handle is constructed & folded, I'm not gripping sharp edges of sheet metal when the pliers are deployed, but a nice, comfortable rounded edge.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:26:48 AM
Not sure you got the good end of the trade. But, if you're happy, that is all thay counts.

It is one of the many LM Wave "Clones" or "Copies". It has elements from the old style Wave, but is not going to even come close to approaching the quality of the real LM Waves.

Look up "King Innovations iTool" to see a sprinkler tool oriented Wave clone.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 12:36:04 PM
On the plus side, Grant (Def) might want to buy it off you.  :whistle:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 01:38:01 PM
Welcome aboard!

:cheers: :tu:

I'd say you'd get more use from this than from the bayonet. So, I'd say it was a good trade. It does look a lot like a wave. Not sure what it really is, though...

:think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 03:04:34 PM
On the plus side, Grant (Def) might want to buy it off you.  :whistle:

There is a good chance of that. 

That looks like the one that is often sold under the Mamut brand.  The telltale brass opening stud is a giveaway that it may be the same supplier.

They aren't Leatherman quality, but the Wave is an excellent tool set, and, if it's the same tool as the Mamut, quality is likely good enough.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 03:19:38 PM
I find when trading "a good deal"  is getting something you'll use rather than keep the item you have thats collecting dust, that's my opinion anyway YMMV. 

It certainly does look to be a clone of the Wave which is a great tool set.  I am not familiar with your tool but please keep us updated on your experiences with it.  I had what we affectionally call a "cheap and cheerful" tool that was very good and met every challenge it faced.  I'd like to hear how this tool performs and holds up  :tu:   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 04:07:46 PM
Welcome to  :MTO: I'm not familiar with that tool but I hope you enjoy it.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 05:12:17 PM
I've had one of these for 4-5 years, it's decent enough to be usable but the steel is like pot metal, the implements bend with minimal force and the tool feels flimsy an floppy
third from the right:

it's held up and I still lend it or use it sparingly, the pliers are functional and precise  :tu:, the OHO blades opens and locks well and easily but the lock is very easy to defeat  :facepalm:, the SE blade came dull and can't be sharpened so it tears instead of cutting  :ahhh, the scissors are the best part of the tool IMO and the file is a joke  :P

first from the left:

the thumbstuds have gotten in the way or gotten hung up on sheaths or clothes more than once, and can't be removed on mine (though they are screwed on and the screw head is visible  :think:)
not great, but far from the worst clone I've had  :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Helmsmith

Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 01:55:30 AM
Thank you to all for the replies, and to thePeacent for the info on how yours has held up.
Cheers!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD