Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some new toys I picked up this weekend!

Offline mikekoz

Some new toys I picked up this weekend!
on: September 04, 2019, 04:40:56 PM
I was not sure where to put this, but since most of these are knives, I decided here is as good as any! I was on a mini vacation and went to a few pawn shops and found these. Here they are in all of their glory!

From top left to right:
1. A small barlow made by Colonial here in the USA
2.A Fishknife made by Imperial in Ireland. I did not have anything like this, but do not know much else about it.   
3.A US made Craftsman multitool, apparently made by Bear and Son for Sears. I am not sure how old it is, but I have never seen one.
4. The oddball of the bunch, a Japanese made large barlow made by Valor. This one looks old and has a bone or stag handle. I have never seen a barlow knife this size.
5. An original Leatherman Wave, dated 4-98. It is in real good condition except the small flathead driver is bent and the tip broken off. It is probably easy to fix, but the tool uses an odd secure pentalobe screw and I have no driver bit like it. Interesting to see how far the Wave has come since this. The new ones seem to be far superior tools. None of the smaller implements lock.
6. A cheapo Buck 110 wannabe from Academy Sports. It is very well made and very sharp!
7. Lastly, a Spyderco Mannix. This is an older one with 154CM steel but I only paid $40.00 for it. It is also in really good condition, but is very dull and I am having problems sharpening it.

I also got a SOG Power Access Deluxe, but will give my impressions of that at a later date!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: Some new toys I picked up this weekend!
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:42:31 PM
Nice selection of tools and for a great price  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 05:43:54 PM
 :like:  The "Buck" looks good, hows the fit and finish?  I really like the Japanese Barlow and Manix  8).   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline mikekoz

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:06:14 PM
:like:  The "Buck" looks good, hows the fit and finish?  I really like the Japanese Barlow and Manix  8).   

Considering it was about $12.00, very good! Besides being razor sharp, the cherry wood handles are real smooth, and the blade has a nice solid snap to it when closed. The leather sheath is also pretty good, but the belt loop could have been made a bit wider.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 08:38:22 PM
Thats great to hear. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:33:10 PM
I'm guessing '70s for the Colonial. First I've seen with red "New Holland" writing. Most Colonials I have seen had it in blue. You don't see too many Colonials. In the 1950s and 1960s, they were Kutmaster; and "New Holland' was stamped in the bolsters instead of "BARLOW". In the '70s, they were Imperials, with "Sperry New Holland" printed on them. We ran Sperry New Holland equipment when putting up hay (with Deere tractors). The equipment was old and secondhand; sometimes the dealer had problems sourcing parts. Eventually, my Granddad decided to sell it, and we got out of the haying business.

As for the fish knife, 1980s or 1990s. In the 1970s, Albert Baer (who owned Schrade, Camillus, and Imperial) bought the Jowika factory in Ireland. Towards the late '80s (I'm thinking 1987?), production of the Jack Master (shell-handle) Imperials moved to Ireland from Rhode Island. They closed the factory in '01 I think it was.  I have one Barlow, as well as a few of their "Apex" and "Tradesman" lines from that period.

Craftsman 45201--1990s. Made by Bear and Sons. The awl, I think is exclusive to this one. I actually just bought one myself off eBay earlier in the summer. Still a little rough around the edges; but much better than any other Bear and Sons made product I have owned and used.

Valor Barlow, anywhere from the 1960s and 1970s to 1980s. The pattern has been called a "Daddy Barlow" or Grandaddy Barlow; and lots of companies have made them. I think Russell/Green River introduced them in the 1900s.

Lots of people seemed to have trashed those small drivers on the V1 Wave. Someone chipped the tip of mine. A lot of electronics repair kits include Pentalobe Torx bits. Apple introduced it about the same time as LM.

Buck 110 clone looks pretty good. A lot less cheap-looking than most I see.

Spyderco will sharpen the Manix if you send it to them. Some Cabela's stores offer sharpening, but I've never tried it. I'm sure the people they have doing it aren't all that skilled. Been meaning next time I travel the two hours to the nearest Bass Pro/Cabelas (that city has both) to take some beater I don't care about to see how they do.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 10:39:11 AM
Cody, thank you for all of the great information! As far as the pentalobe bits, I have a few screwdriver sets that have them, but you need a security type that has the hole in the tip, and that type I do not have. I may just leave it as it is. I only paid $35.00 for it. The shop also had a Wave Plus for $60.00 that I would have picked up if I had enough money, but from what I can tell, all it has over my standard one is the replaceable cutters.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%