Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Thoughts?
on: March 04, 2020, 11:34:23 PM
As some of you know I work on some models, well this is my sit in my recliner and relax workstation, only problem is the recliners pitched back a little bit and sometimes when I’m working on the project the parts and one of the tools slide down, toward me, so I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas to help me out, I was thinking maybe a piece of tubing across the bottom idk something like a pencil holder on an old desk? Thoughts?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Re: Thoughts?
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 12:32:05 AM
What if I took paracord and stapled a strip nice and tight?
I have a few magnets I’m thinking of countersinking then hot glueing them up top, this way they can hold the metal sheets to the model, and maybe keep them in the same position as shown on the paper to make it easier rather then looking at each sheet and turning them to find that one next part,,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 01:10:09 AM
My first thought was a couple of meters of P seal glued around the edge, and some of the non-slip rubber matting that some folks use on dashboards and toolboxes drawers to put the tools on.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 01:10:55 AM
I assume this sits across your lap while you're reclining.  Perhaps you can put something on the bottom so it doesn't slope towards you?
- Steve

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 01:49:53 AM
Something like this, but made better?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 04:52:46 AM
My first thought was a couple of meters of P seal glued around the edge, and some of the non-slip rubber matting that some folks use on dashboards and toolboxes drawers to put the tools on.
P seal?
JR

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 05:00:55 AM

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 05:04:08 AM

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 05:26:08 AM
I think tomorrow I’m going to countersink those magnets and glue them in, that will hold the sheets, yet as for the other part I need something comfy since the arms would be laying on it, so I’m really thinking of running a paracord barrier, yet I could also use a coat hanger, a plastic one, use a candle and form it to fit then sand it nice and smooth and fasten it to the board,,
JR

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 07:53:52 AM
How about running some cable edge protector profiles around the edges? I'm not sure if you can find one thick enough for that (or the price if you do), but they are made to be put around edges and they can be fairly soft and wide. And importantly for this purpose some are quite thick and will create a decent edge.

I was also going to suggest what they do on boats to make things stay in place, but Aimless already covered those variations.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 08:52:15 AM
I vote for the p seal too.. Or some other window seal, they come in different profiles, have tape on the backside and are soft to rest your arm on. I have done the same to keep my work helmet in the top of my locker at work. The lockers top has a slope and the helmet went down to the floor before I took some leftover windowseal and taped in to the edge. It's cheap, soft and always good to have home anyway

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 02:20:56 PM
 :iagree:   Some soft foam seal tape of some kind would be perfect. Most come with an adhesive back. Comes in all sizes and shapes and is fairly inexpensive.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 03:21:09 PM
Something like this which is insulation for ac lines. It's nice and soft and self adhesive.
20200305_081456_copy_1024x768.jpg
* 20200305_081456_copy_1024x768.jpg (Filesize: 60.04 KB)
20200305_081442_copy_1024x768.jpg
* 20200305_081442_copy_1024x768.jpg (Filesize: 77.41 KB)
20200305_081502_copy_1024x768.jpg
* 20200305_081502_copy_1024x768.jpg (Filesize: 95.48 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 05:33:35 PM
I have some thing like that insulation, it’s the pool noodle, just too big, although, I might have a small piece of the actual insulation but I don’t think it’s the sticky kind,
Another item I have is bath sealant, normally used to make a seal around the tub, flexible with an adhesive, I just don’t want anything too high, so that pool noodle forget it, same with the insulation, I know I’m forgetting something
JR

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 05:53:12 PM
Something like this which is insulation for ac lines. It's nice and soft and self adhesive.
:like: :like:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 08:35:26 PM
Ok, I just got a good thought on the other part, kinda tricky yet I like the idea, I think it will be better, I’ll have to take a before/after,
That is when I get to doing it, Mrs has me watching her tv shows,, :whistle:
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 04:54:35 AM
Ok here it is, big diff huh? But if you look at the pic you’ll see their diff!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 04:56:30 AM
And look, it holds up the metal sheets, it would hold a fourth but I didn’t have one,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 05:27:05 PM
Ok, here’s the front all done,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 05:32:59 PM
The back I used a router and plunged to only a low level, but not enough to punch through, yet enough to let the magnet pick up the metal, then three of them were tight enough I just pressed the magnets in and they didn’t fall out but I still used hot glue to fill in and make it all even,
JR

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 05:43:34 PM
Nice. :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 11:00:06 PM
Here’s proof it sticks, that board is leaning like 3x more then normal when I sit in my recliner, the thought of putting felt on the back side has crossed my mind, thus two diff tables and it would hid the magnets,,
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%