Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bedside flashlight?

comis · 42 · 1351

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Bedside flashlight?
on: September 07, 2019, 04:19:14 AM
Just a quick post to chat about my rediscovery of an old flashlight of mine, Pak-lite.  Originally, I get it for home emergency use, but felt there are more optimal choices out there, so I left it in a bin for years.

Until recently, I want to find myself a bedside flashlight to check on my newborn in the middle of the night, and this is the perfect little light for that.  It is squarish so it won't roll around, it has the right minimum amount of light to get around, and best of all, it glow-in-dark, so it is easy to locate. :tu:

Do you have a favorite bedside flashlight?

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Bedside flashlight?
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 05:18:52 AM
I have a couple pak-lites that I got cheap and felt why not.  One good thing is usually when all other batteries are sold out, you can still find 9v.

My favorite bedside light is a Jetbeam RRT-01.  It always comes on at low which is <1 lumen and the rotary ring lets me dial in exactly how much light I want.  With the tritium vials on the end, I can always find it in the dark.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:08:16 AM by Sos24 »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Bedside flashlight?
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 07:15:49 AM
That's true about emergency prep, especially in most of convenient stores in US, 9V is probably easy to find.

Interesting jetbeam , is this the newer version where it has infinity steps?  Comparing to the HDS rotary, how do their functions compare?

us Offline Sos24

Bedside flashlight?
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 10:00:34 AM
That's true about emergency prep, especially in most of convenient stores in US, 9V is probably easy to find.

Interesting jetbeam , is this the newer version where it has infinity steps?  Comparing to the HDS rotary, how do their functions compare?

It is the newer version.  I also purchased mine from SkyLumen so that I could get a HiCRI emitter and it was the only place carrying them at the time.

Both lights are quality lights, but I think the the user interface on the HDS makes it a much better light.  The HDS has both a tail clickie and rotary, whereas the RRT-01 only has a rotary.  The HDS’ tail clickie turns the light on at whatever level the rotary is set at and you can change that level while the light is off or on.  With the RRT, the light always turns on at low and you have to rotate through with it on to achieve the brightness you want.  Through different click sequences and user programming up to 3 different brightness levels or strobes can be accessed quickly using the HDS’ clickie.  There are other programming options that also make the HDS nice (like pseudo momentary) but the above is the most important difference for me. 

The RRT-01 does have a couple benefits over the HDS.  The RRT can use 18350 in addition to CR123/16340, although most my lights are CR123 so that is what I use.  The RRT has a higher max lumen.  Also the RRT is smaller, lighter and less expensive.  You could also argue that with all the programming, it is more to go wrong on the HDS, but it is a quality made light that the manufacturer (Henry) stands behind. 

To me the HDS is the better light and the one I go to for edc and most daily uses.  The RRT just wins for bedside because I like having a dedicated light that is always on the nightstand.

Also, to not be misleading neither the RRT or HDS come with the tritium.  The RRT has the slots in the tail.  The tritium bezel on the HDS was an after market purchase.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:10:53 AM by Sos24 »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 12:23:10 PM
My favourite bedside light is a PALight.  IMO the best feature is the always-on locator glow, which helps you find it even in complete dark in a strange location (eg camping).  These lights will run the locator glow for 12 months or more on a quality 9V alkaline battery (and longer on a primary lithium battery).  They aren't as compact as a PAKLite, but they are encased in a robust rubber body.

Here is a link with some info:
https://flashlightsunlimited.com/survival.htm

But don't get too excited about buying one to see what they are like, they have been off the market for several years now (unfortunately).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 01:32:00 PM
I keep an olight r50 pro seeker in my bedroom specifically for if I am ever woken by burglars downstairs. I figured shining a blinding light in there face may give me the upper hand.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 01:56:57 PM
The Original Infinite Adjustable Higher Output Light!
These go the lowest of any light that I have owned and I can get away with 1 battery change a year in normal use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 03:35:53 PM
It is the newer version.  I also purchased mine from SkyLumen so that I could get a HiCRI emitter and it was the only place carrying them at the time.

Both lights are quality lights, but I think the the user interface on the HDS makes it a much better light.  The HDS has both a tail clickie and rotary, whereas the RRT-01 only has a rotary.  The HDS’ tail clickie turns the light on at whatever level the rotary is set at and you can change that level while the light is off or on.  With the RRT, the light always turns on at low and you have to rotate through with it on to achieve the brightness you want.  Through different click sequences and user programming up to 3 different brightness levels or strobes can be accessed quickly using the HDS’ clickie.  There are other programming options that also make the HDS nice (like pseudo momentary) but the above is the most important difference for me. 

The RRT-01 does have a couple benefits over the HDS.  The RRT can use 18350 in addition to CR123/16340, although most my lights are CR123 so that is what I use.  The RRT has a higher max lumen.  Also the RRT is smaller, lighter and less expensive.  You could also argue that with all the programming, it is more to go wrong on the HDS, but it is a quality made light that the manufacturer (Henry) stands behind. 

To me the HDS is the better light and the one I go to for edc and most daily uses.  The RRT just wins for bedside because I like having a dedicated light that is always on the nightstand.

Also, to not be misleading neither the RRT or HDS come with the tritium.  The RRT has the slots in the tail.  The tritium bezel on the HDS was an after market purchase.

Thank you for an awesome writeup!

I looked up this light after your initial post, and saw a pretty decent offer on this light when I was out shopping for tools.  Next thing I knew I was totally distracted and came home with a new light. :facepalm: :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 03:38:24 PM
My favourite bedside light is a PALight.  IMO the best feature is the always-on locator glow, which helps you find it even in complete dark in a strange location (eg camping).  These lights will run the locator glow for 12 months or more on a quality 9V alkaline battery (and longer on a primary lithium battery).  They aren't as compact as a PAKLite, but they are encased in a robust rubber body.

Here is a link with some info:
https://flashlightsunlimited.com/survival.htm

But don't get too excited about buying one to see what they are like, they have been off the market for several years now (unfortunately).

Ahh!  Palight!  I remember those and I think I might have gotten one during my full fledged Flashaholic days.  I remembered keeping it in that locator mode for weeks, and eventually got so bored that I turned it off.  :D

Now if I can find that light again in my bin...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 03:43:33 PM
I keep an olight r50 pro seeker in my bedroom specifically for if I am ever woken by burglars downstairs. I figured shining a blinding light in there face may give me the upper hand.

Wow, 3000+ lumens! :o   I always love a small-sized powerful thrower with a big reflector for the outdoor, but in confined space, I probably prefer something less lumens,YMMV.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 03:50:28 PM
The Original Infinite Adjustable Higher Output Light!
These go the lowest of any light that I have owned and I can get away with 1 battery change a year in normal use!

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love Surefire stuff, especially remember I used to play SF legos with all the bodies and heads.  I remembered this offer a long while ago, and kinda wonder why they decide to go back to 2/3 stages for the newer offerings. :think:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 04:03:55 PM
Wow, 3000+ lumens! :o   I always love a small-sized powerful thrower with a big reflector for the outdoor, but in confined space, I probably prefer something less lumens,YMMV.
I am also toying with keeping an air horn upstairs to be used in conjunction with the torch in hope it makes the burglars leave posthaste.
As in the uk tackling a burglar can get you in more trouble than them.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 07:47:57 PM
Thank you for an awesome writeup!

I looked up this light after your initial post, and saw a pretty decent offer on this light when I was out shopping for tools.  Next thing I knew I was totally distracted and came home with a new light. :facepalm: :D

Isn’t that the way it happens.  Congrats on a nice light.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 04:02:17 AM
I am also toying with keeping an air horn upstairs to be used in conjunction with the torch in hope it makes the burglars leave posthaste.
As in the uk tackling a burglar can get you in more trouble than them.

Sounds like a sticky situation, I always say the best conflict is no conflict.  For home security, I did install surveillance camera where appropriate, and put up signs to discourage thief from trying.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 04:06:04 AM
Isn’t that the way it happens.  Congrats on a nice light.

Thank you!  It won't be possible with your suggestion! :cheers:   For the end trit vials, would you by any chance remember their sizes?  I read from reviews that the slot may not fit 2*12, and curious what other options I have. :pok: :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:16:35 AM by comis »

us Offline Sos24

Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 04:40:25 AM
Thank you!  It won't be possible with your suggestion! :cheers:   For the end trit vials, would you by any chance remember their sizes?  I read from reviews that the slot may not fit 2*12, and curious what other options I have. :pok: :D

I used six 1.5x6 tritium vials, putting two in each slot

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 05:03:24 AM
I used six 1.5x6 tritium vials, putting two in each slot

Thanks for that! :cheers:   

I read the review where they say the slot is 2.25*11.5mm(unconfirmed), I find a seller where they could provide me both 2*12 and 1.5*6, but am now really curious why two 1.5*6 will fit when the 2*12 may not? :think: :think:

Maybe I would go ahead and get some for both sizes, since they are probably applicable to the scale mod you'd mentioned in another thread. :D

us Offline Sos24

Bedside flashlight?
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 06:22:21 AM
Thanks for that! :cheers:   

I read the review where they say the slot is 2.25*11.5mm(unconfirmed), I find a seller where they could provide me both 2*12 and 1.5*6, but am now really curious why two 1.5*6 will fit when the 2*12 may not? :think: :think:

Maybe I would go ahead and get some for both sizes, since they are probably applicable to the scale mod you'd mentioned in another thread. :D

From what I understand the 2x12 sat too high in the slot (slot not deep enough ).

Here is a picture from the SkyLumen page showing the six 1.5x6.  His thread on another forum is how I found out the 1.5x6 work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 06:32:22 AM by Sos24 »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 06:47:46 AM
Ahhh...I see.  Thanks again for this picture, perfectly illustrate how the 1.5x6 will sit in the slots.  I think I will just go along the same way with the trit setup.

I played with it last night along with my Pak-lite, and I'm already in love with the lows on this light. 

Now I am just starting to think about whether it is possible to put a little flare at the front, possibly a thin GID o-ring between the glass/refletor, or possibly some small tritium/GID epoxy around the chip?  If someone comes up with a bezel with tritium slots, that'd be cool too.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 06:54:47 AM
I have a Thrunite TN-12 on the bedside table. I usually use a BLF A6 SE of which I have 3 or 4 so this one got relegated to bedside table duty. It's a good light and the 18650 battery means I can easily have it on the entire night without worry.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 03:31:50 AM
I have a Thrunite TN-12 on the bedside table. I usually use a BLF A6 SE of which I have 3 or 4 so this one got relegated to bedside table duty. It's a good light and the 18650 battery means I can easily have it on the entire night without worry.

I remembered we briefly talked about BLF A6 SE, maybe in another thread?  This is a good value buy, and it kinda reminds me that we do live in the golden age of gears, where there is no shortage of goodies, but money. :D

Right now, both the newly acquired Jetbeam RRT-01 and Pak-lite are both on my bedside table, and it really is a tough call between these two.

us Offline William

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2019, 07:51:56 PM
Malkoff AA. Very nice firefly mode.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 08:37:39 AM
Malkoff AA. Very nice firefly mode.
(Image removed from quote.)

I remember Malkoff was making many good led drop-in for Surefire back then, it's cool to see they are now making flashlights too.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 08:49:51 AM
Just a quick update, since then I acquired a Jetbeam RRT01 (2019), and had been really pleased with it's performance, especially the infinite steps rotary dial and the ultra low output.  I just put in 6 1.5*6 orange tritium and sealed it with epoxy resin.  Now I am looking forward to testing it tonight.  Compares to green and blue, orange tritium is dimmer but that's exactly why I chose it for this new bedside light.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 02:31:46 PM
Nice light comis.  I usually put my Olight S1R and ZL on my night stand. They are easy to reach in pitch dark room since I always place them in the same spot.  I like having low lumen or max power as needed. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Archibald Tuttle

Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 06:35:08 PM
Great lights in this thread!  :like:

Been carrying a JetBeam TC-R1 since 2012. A while back I added a  'glocator'  to it's lanyard recess. Simple industrial , glow in the dark , egress tape that has been punched to fit. Waterproof and lasts easily over 12 hours for night adapted eyes. Easy peasy to locate on the stand in the wee hours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 06:42:53 PM
Nicely done with the GID tape. 
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 06:54:05 PM
Nicely done with the GID tape.

Thanks, wish I would have come up with it sooner. Better late than never :) I've used the tape on a few odds and ends, it holds up well.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 08:34:08 PM
That does look great!  Thank you for a very cool and applicable idea for bedside flashlights!

Reply #29 on: September 21, 2019, 08:56:44 PM
That does look great!  Thank you for a very cool and applicable idea for bedside flashlights!

Thanks, I really like tritium, but I seem to eventually break them all :(
With this, it's just some hollow punches and voila.
Glo-nation sold the good stuff, by the foot, but it seems they have closed up shop.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%