Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Using hex screws for SAK assembly

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Using hex screws for SAK assembly
on: September 08, 2019, 02:31:42 PM
So I found some neat 2.5mm and 2.0mm hex screws. Thought these would be easier for assembly, maybe with custom scales.

The 2.5mm size works perfectly for the end pivots, but the 2.0mm is too small for the back tool pivot so the tension is loose for the backspring. So would need drilling out to 2.5mm...  :cry: ...with that effort may as well peen a brass rod that’s the right size.

So back to square one.  :rant:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Using hex screws for SAK assembly
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 04:04:33 PM
That's a shame Max. Nice one for trying though  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 04:26:41 PM
Thanks magentus,  :hatsoff:

Was a good idea. Went back to traditional brass peening, looks better anyway.  :D
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline o_6

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 05:30:33 PM
For a long time, I was looking for the 2.5mm pins with screws, but I did not find any until recently. I got a set Titanium scale with screws and pins. They are custom made. Also, the Pins only for two or three layers.

I wonder why? Is it so hard to manufacture 2.5 Pins with screws? Then, I go back to use the brass pin, it was much easier.

I have doubt if you use screws, the screw tread is matter or not?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 09:51:03 PM
Hi o_6,

The hollow tube with cap screw (like Leatherman use) is a good pivot pin solution, but it will be difficult to get good strength with 2.5mm tube and cap screw. The option I thought about is to tap a thread into one side outer scale, but this is a lot of work and it means making custom scales. The other side can be counter-sunk for the hex-nut head. But the screws I found were only zinc-plated steel, so they will eventually corrode. I found 2.5mm brass screws, but they are slotted with a tapered head, so they may not look as nice. For the moment I will go back to brass rod and ball hammer peening...  :think:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 04:30:06 AM
Well you are looking - thanks for trying to build a better SAK.  :tu: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41