Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LEATHERMAN SURGE MODS

Offline moose117

LEATHERMAN SURGE MODS
on: September 11, 2019, 02:54:41 AM
Hi all.

This week my brand new leather man surge has arrived. I’m new here and I have a few questions.

Just for a bit of reference, I work in an Australian coal mine as a fitter, and we’re a little rough on the gear here.

1. There is nowhere on the surge to use the eyeglass bit, what have people done about it?

2. Has anyone got some pictures of a sheath that fits the leather man, both bit kits and an extension?
I was thinking leather, and horizontal mount with the opening on the top (the long side)

3. If the all in one sheath is too bulky, has anyone made a “plate” to hold two bit kits, an extension, the spare file / saw, tweezers, a pick, and maybe other little things? Around credit card or notebook size to fit in the top pocket of a work shirt.

4. Has anyone found a space to fit tweezers on the tool itself? Maybe a toothpick as well.

5. Has anyone fitted a hammer / clip from a MUT to a SURGE? What were the steps to fitting and is it possible to source just the hammer?

6. What other attachments have you guys fitted to the exchangeable file / saw holder?

I’m pretty keen to see other people’s mods, just post some photos below, even if they don’t relate!!
Thanks for the help!!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: LEATHERMAN SURGE MODS
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 05:41:48 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum !    :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:50:33 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  Moose.

As for 1. you can insert it in a gap underneath one the lock release at the end of one of the handles... I'll see if I can find a photo...

EDIT: Found: (click on the first "Image removed from quote")
I think there are pics of this earlier in this thread.

Kampfer's pic here

(Image removed from quote.)
To answer your question, yes, someone has done this. I can't remember who did it or where it was posted but it's on the forum somewhere...

evil510's pic here

(Image removed from quote.)

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48706.msg1259266.html#msg1259266

Offline moose117

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:36:06 AM
Thanks for the comments / info guys. Another question. Has anyone made a better pocket clip? This one supplied from leatherman is poxy, and wobbles like crazy.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:39:13 PM
Some have found a way to add a shim to stop it wiggling around.

ca Offline Walley

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 05:04:17 AM
the standard leatherman large  leather sheath will hold a bit extender and flashlight or pen.
it also has a pouch on the inside that can hold the bit holders, although 2 at the same time is a bit tight with the surge.
i carry one that's loaded with bits that i actually use, i find i don't need to edc 2 of them. i like to tune my edc to the most efficient setup with everything i need and nothing more.
i like the leather better than nylon because it saggs less with the weight of the tool.
20180310_214647.jpg
* 20180310_214647.jpg (Filesize: 157.33 KB)

Offline moose117

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 07:47:31 AM
Bit of an update.

I went to my local leather craftsman, I’ve got a horizontal pouch for the multi tool itself, and I have got him making a “wallet” for the bit kits ect to go in the top pocket of my work shirts. I’ll attach photos when it’s compete.

Offline moose117

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:31:36 AM
So here is the finished product. A “wallet” that can go on a belt or in the top pocket of my work shirts. It holds an extension, two bit kits and file/saw attachments.

The pouch next to it is the multi tool pouch. (Horizontal mount)

The belt is just a hobble belt with an old timer pouch, as I work as a ringer on my 7 off. All the leather goods were made by my local leather craftsman. I hope this helps someone else.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 08:49:57 AM
 :dunno:  :worthless:

gb Offline kakashi

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 04:57:09 AM
 :like:

I'd like to see what you came up with.

Donations

Operational Funds