Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The ageless SAK.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The ageless SAK.
on: September 23, 2019, 05:24:22 PM
I dont have quite the collection of old SAKs that many have.  I have a few 60s era that are in remarkable shape.  All but one can go right into my pocket and be used in the manner it was built for.  I don't have any old (30+) SAKs that are pristine ( never used ),  so thinking about a 30+ year old tool that was used and still capable of being used is pretty remarkable.  Am I correct?  How many things can claim to be still useable after so many years?  Lets consider how these items (SAKs) are being used.  The 84mm Golfer I recently got has a cracked liner and is one of the only SAKs that I've got that has suffered a "fault' thats not abuse.  I don't know, maybe it is from abuse but reading thru the threads I suspect its the material coupled with lack of care? 

I got a 83-84 Ranger ( my guess on age ) and its in splendid condition.  Yeah so 35 years isn't old,  but for a knife I'd say it is  :dunno:.  This is sort of my point.  When do we consider Victorinox knives old?  Most other knives we consider old beginning at 20 years or so, am I correct?  Some of y'all have carried the same SAK longer than 20 years.

Is it that Victorinox is so well built that 30 years barely begins to age them? 

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: The ageless SAK.
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 05:41:30 PM
Knives and hand tools are some of few things I own that are older than me and will last way beyond my lifetime if cared for. I like that  :D

The oldest knife I have is a 68 sturdy boy sent to me by the lovely El-C but I replaced the blade on it so it's useable. The Alox models are particularly resilient.

I'd consider a Victorinox as old at 30 maybe 40 years? It's testament to their quality that they are still highly useable provided they were properly cared for.

My collection of SAKs numbers 5 alox and 3 cellidor and the Sturdy Boy is by far the oldest.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 08:00:38 PM
I feel that anything made by man is antique at 20 years. I use cars as my example. Plates are available for that status at that time. And changes are always being made, as they are on SAK’s - tools and symbols etc.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 10:27:40 PM
Oldest knives I carry are from 'post-war' '40s.  Almost everything I have from this period is still usable, aside from those bought for parts.  In general, I wish all SAKs were still built like these.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 11:10:35 PM
"Technically" to be an antique the object has to be 100+ years old. Younger, but 40-50-60's are usually called vintage. Of course I carry a old Tinker EDC from (?) the 90's. Several in my collection of non-users are in the vintage range; only one in the antique range - a 1908 Model 2 (never to be carried). But if you are talking about the quality of recently made items (except SAKs), then Rapidray is correct - we have a 50 year old Sears washer and dryer that are still going strong, but have been through 3 dehumidifiers (Chinese made) in 6 years.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68