Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vostok

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Vostok
on: September 22, 2019, 03:07:22 AM
I've been really interested in getting myself a hand-wind/mechanical watch as of late.  Been looking at what's available. Honestly, I love the WWII US designs, unfortunately, what I see is either on the expensive side, or looks like holy heck. 

However, I've found Vostoks are about $50-60 and they have some really nice designs. Yeah, not crazy about all the Russian/Soviet markings on them, but it's part of their history. Seeing as they're military issue, I figure they're tough. Honestly, I'm looking at the Komandirskie as at $55, it's the cheapest. But then again, not exactly watertight. I'm not going swimming with it, but a little better water resistance would help. Apparently, that model is not made to withstand anything more than hand-washing.  So maybe splurge on an Amphibian?

Anyone have any experience with them?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:13:20 AM by cody6268 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Vostok
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 06:13:33 AM
I have an amphibia. My only issue with it is that the date is a pain in the nether-region if you don't keep the watch on a winder. Seriously, a real pain. Depending on the day, you may have to turn the hands a bazillion times to make the date correct...yes, that is twice around the clock for each date forward. No half pull out of the crown to easily set the date here. Other than that...I like the vintage look of it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 09:21:32 AM
I have an amphibia. My only issue with it is that the date is a pain in the nether-region if you don't keep the watch on a winder. Seriously, a real pain. Depending on the day, you may have to turn the hands a bazillion times to make the date correct...yes, that is twice around the clock for each date forward. No half pull out of the crown to easily set the date here. Other than that...I like the vintage look of it.
The "official" way of setting the date on those is returning to 9PM and forward to 1AM untill you reach the right date.

It sounds off to manually reverse a watch, I know. But thrust me, it's meant like that.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 04:20:22 PM
I will have to try that next time.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 04:25:04 PM
:popcorn:

Check that. Quarter to 9 works best.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 04:59:17 PM
you can sometimes find them really cheap on fleabay. I've gotten mine for under $10. the strap needed changing but it is a good bang around watch
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 09:44:05 PM
Just tried it...that did the trick.  :hatsoff:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 09:34:22 PM
8)
:tu:

Donations