Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Natural disasters

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Natural disasters
Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 01:52:16 PM
After yet another storm, power is out again, and I am glad I got the little solar powered radio.   I always keep the radio (usually on a Google Home Mini) on for the dogs, and the house becomes very quiet without it.

I played with the radio when I first got it, charged it up with a cable (not 7 hours of cranking!) and then left it on the window sill so it would stay charged.  Today will be the acid test to see how long it lasts, although it will still be on the window sill in hopes of extending it's life.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: December 10, 2019, 02:41:35 PM
Hope everyone is safe and sound  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: December 10, 2019, 03:02:56 PM
 :iagree:

I hope it performs.  Solar really seem like the way to go but can be quite pricy to retain that power.  We dont get many power outages but if we did I'd look into a system that stored solar energy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 05:03:45 PM
This one year I couldn’t believe something, we had a hurricane come through and it was nasty! Yet we were driving around to check things out and there’s this huge tree standing yet with a vinyl record like a thrown ninja star, “unbroken” I was like wow!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 10, 2019, 09:36:26 PM
After yet another storm, power is out again, and I am glad I got the little solar powered radio.   I always keep the radio (usually on a Google Home Mini) on for the dogs, and the house becomes very quiet without it.

I played with the radio when I first got it, charged it up with a cable (not 7 hours of cranking!) and then left it on the window sill so it would stay charged.  Today will be the acid test to see how long it lasts, although it will still be on the window sill in hopes of extending it's life.

Def

I hope the radio holds out at least until the power comes back on.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #35 on: December 10, 2019, 11:50:08 PM
In my area there were often power outages, no lighting problems because I have plenty of torches and batteries but I learned that a radio can help keep mood up when there is no energy.
Years ago I bought Eneloop adapters to use the Eneloop AAs on radios that have native C batteries, they were very useful. (Eneloop AA to C converter but also exist AA to D)
Later I bought small radios that use AA and AAA specifically for blackouts.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #36 on: December 11, 2019, 12:12:30 AM
In my area there were often power outages, no lighting problems because I have plenty of torches and batteries but I learned that a radio can help keep mood up when there is no energy.
Years ago I bought Eneloop adapters to use the Eneloop AAs on radios that have native C batteries, they were very useful. (Eneloop AA to C converter but also exist AA to D)
Later I bought small radios that use AA and AAA specifically for blackouts.

I have one of the solar crank radios, but I also have a few other radios and cd players that use batteries.

I have one that I specifically bought for its weather alert capabilities.  In addition to AM/FM, it has NOAA with SAME (narrow down area for alert) and ability to specify what alerts to receive even if radio off.

AA is one battery I keep plenty of in both Alkaline and NiMH.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #37 on: December 11, 2019, 12:27:29 AM
I have one of the solar crank radios, but I also have a few other radios and cd players that use batteries.

I have one that I specifically bought for its weather alert capabilities.  In addition to AM/FM, it has NOAA with SAME (narrow down area for alert) and ability to specify what alerts to receive even if radio off.

AA is one battery I keep plenty of in both Alkaline and NiMH.

I know those radios, years ago I thought of buying one but the import costs were too high.
From you in the USA they are very sold and they are cheap, nobody has something like this.
The only radios I have are AM / FM but here in Italy the AM stations seem to have disappeared, in an emergency (national blackout) the FM radios have a limited range, I would like a radio with even SW band.
In case of disaster it is nice to have news and not just music.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 05:13:11 AM
I know those radios, years ago I thought of buying one but the import costs were too high.
From you in the USA they are very sold and they are cheap, nobody has something like this.
The only radios I have are AM / FM but here in Italy the AM stations seem to have disappeared, in an emergency (national blackout) the FM radios have a limited range, I would like a radio with even SW band.
In case of disaster it is nice to have news and not just music.

I can understand.  I have heard from several people that European import costs can make many things too expensive.

I have an older short wave radio that I have had for many years.  Even short wave broadcasting, at least on the US, is disappearing.

One type of radio I recommend to people a lot is a handheld or mobile VHF/UHF Amateur Radio.  Even if you do not have a license for operating, you can still listen and transmit in an emergency.  At least in the US, many local crisis response teams, who augment the normal emergency responders, utilize volunteer amateur radio operators for their communications, so monitoring can yield some good information.  In my area, there is also a frequency and code set-up that will connect to the police in case of no phone access.  I don’t know about in other countries, but in the US some of the cheaper radio can be purchased for about $30-40.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 03:14:27 PM
I don’t know about in other countries, but in the US some of the cheaper radio can be purchased for about $30-40.

Probably you talk about Baofeng?
They are on sale at a low price here too but their use without a license is strictly prohibited (therefore useless)

us Offline Sos24

Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 09:06:07 PM
Probably you talk about Baofeng?
They are on sale at a low price here too but their use without a license is strictly prohibited (therefore useless)

I am talking about Baofeng.  They do require a license to talk on, but to strictly listen they do require a license.

The Baofeng have FM, the US weather channels, and many of the channels that are used by emergency responders and crisis teams for coordination.   Even though I have a license, I rarely talk on mine, but I will listen whenever hurricane or other storms.  There will be talk about where responders are setting up, damage that has occurred, what local government instructions and actions, people coordinating responses, etc.  I don’t know if Italy would use same way, but in U.S. just finding out the channels that are used and then listening can be informative.  Also in the US, you are allowed to use without a license if there is a danger to life, so it is good that way also.

If you live near water or airport, many of them also use frequencies that the Baofeng receives.

I do not know about in Italy, but at least in the US, the license for the lowest level (Technician) is not that difficult to pass and the test is usually inexpensive as well.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 09:31:18 PM
do not know about in Italy, but at least in the US, the license for the lowest level (Technician) is not that difficult to pass and the test is usually inexpensive as well.

When I was very young I had a powerful CB station for many years.
I was going to do the radiometer exam but then I canceled.
The examination for the radio license for what I know in Italy is complicated.

Here with us it's different we don't have many extreme disasters (like Uragani)
Italy is mainly a seismic country, in recent times I have invested in the preparation, especially at the level of shelter (TARP, sleeping bags, isothermal sleeping bags, isothermal blankets, tent) this to be autonomous in case of disaster (it can be hard to sleep outdoors if there is an earthquake in winter)
But I doubt that in the specific place where I live a radio would be useful in an emergency. (in other places maybe yes)

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #42 on: December 22, 2019, 07:01:46 PM
I did a fair amount of back packing as a kid and  now that I'm "of a certain age" I do stationary event camping.  Once you learn what is essential and what is simply a degree of comfort you can do survival.  I have experienced several large earthquakes over 6.5.  I have been caught unprepared out in the open when high winds and freezing rain struck.    I have experienced several power outages.  Of all of those things the weather was the most life threatening. 
I live in o the Ring of Fire so earthquakes can strike when ever they want.  This is what I have to be ready:
A large collection of stoves, alcohol and propane.
A fire pit and a charcoal smoker
many portable lanterns and flashlights, most of them rechargeable and all of them LED
Several power units from small to large
a small propane powered fridge capable of making ice
many coolers
At least three five gallon water containers and plenty of water purification chemicals
a travel trailer, several tents
a week or so worth of canned food
couple weeks worth of dried food
A well stocked set of tools to perform rescue and repairs. 
blankets, sleeping bags, cots and air mattresses
plenty of clothes suitable to withstand inclement weather. 
A few MT's, SAK's, fire steels and the like.

If a natural disaster struck tomorrow my biggest issue would be sanitation which would include throwing out what I couldn't save from my full sized fridge. 

Being ready for a natural disaster isn't going to props and wardrobe so you are fitted out like a action star.  It's about having the skills are necessary to stay alive, which includes knowing what you can do with what you have.   

it Offline Stefano

Reply #43 on: December 26, 2019, 11:03:47 AM
The problem with all this equipment is that hopefully it won't remain under the rubble.
Or that it can be easily moved/transported where it is needed.
These are things that worry me too.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #44 on: December 26, 2019, 08:16:10 PM
The problem with all this equipment is that hopefully it won't remain under the rubble.
Or that it can be easily moved/transported where it is needed.
These are things that worry me too.

What a lot of people don't get is unless you are right at the epicenter of a earthquake it is unlikely the earth will open up or that all structures will collapse.  More often than not earthquakes result in a breakdown of infrastructure: transport, power, water, gas, etc.  In a one story house the most likely cause of injury or death is being crushed under a falling furniture such as a book case or a tall china cabinet. I'm not saying that an earthquake can't be utterly catastrophic, it is just not likely to be utterly catastrophic to you personally.  If you live in a multistory structure that changes things.  Look at areas that had big earthquakes, how much the landscape was different six years later?  How many of the same buildings, bridges, towers and the like were still standing?  In the San Fransisco bay area the parts of the Bay Bridge collapsed and they lost a elevated section of the 101 in the middle of the city.   
Living through a disaster isn't like the movies, in many ways it really isn't that bad and in others it's a lot worse.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: September 23, 2022, 11:35:13 AM
Just reviewing this thread as Hurricane Fiona bears down on me.  I've got the day off work today to prepare for it's arrival this afternoon.  I have already put away the barbecue, the patio furniture, Megan's plants and so on.  I will spend this morning tying down the garbage cans and green bin, finding a place for my canoe and setting up a go bag with some clothing and cat food in case Megan's cat and I have to go elsewhere.  Megan is safely in Ottawa this week, and my tenants have decided to ride out the storm with friends on the other side of the province, which is expected to be somewhat sheltered.

I have reviewed all of my points from the original post and I am close to being as prepared as I can get- the Jeep has half a tank while Megan's Volvo has a full tank, I need to locate my axe, and, as I only have 60 dollars in cash I may get some more.  I have to run out shortly and buy more rope, so I will probably do that then.

To be safe, I have stockpiled some water- not a lot, but enough to cover the cat and I for three to four days without rationing- longer if we do.  I have peanut butter and bread for eating during the storm when the power is out and it is not feasible to go outside and start the barbecue, and I have lots of stuff I can cook on the barbecue or on a camp stove in the aftermath, including probably almost two weeks worth of freeze dried bag meals for camping, plus whatever is in the fridge/freezer.

In hopes of not losing what is in the fridge/freezer, I have moved day to day items (Brita water filter, adult and other pre-packaged beverages etc) into a cooler filled with ice so I won't have to open the fridge or freezer any more than is absolutely necessary.  I have bags of ice to place in the fridge and freezer to help maintain temperature longer too.

All in all, I believe I am as prepared as I can get.  The modeling shows Fiona hitting near me and slowing down significantly when she makes landfall, which means I will likely be experiencing it for a lengthy period of time- possibly more than 24 hours in actual storm weather, with sustained winds over 100mph.  I don't have to worry too much about the flooding potential, as I live about 2/3 the way up a very steep hill, and the Atlantic Ocean would need to come up about 100 feet before I have to be worried- and by that point much of human civilization will have been wiped out.

As prepared as I am, this is apparently a hell of a storm- as violent as Hurricane Juan in 2004 and larger than Hurricane Dorian a couple of years ago... or maybe the other way around, I dunno.  Either way, they are saying it is going to be bad.  Whatever happens, if I am not prepared for it, at least I have lots of insurance!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #46 on: September 23, 2022, 01:23:21 PM
I wish you the very best.
Stay home, stay safe, hope to hear good news from you, soon.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: September 23, 2022, 01:42:45 PM
I wish you the very best.
Stay home, stay safe, hope to hear good news from you, soon.

+1   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: September 23, 2022, 03:43:33 PM

+2
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 23, 2022, 06:50:46 PM
Stay safe, Grant :salute:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #50 on: September 23, 2022, 11:34:58 PM
Just reviewing this thread as Hurricane Fiona bears down on me.

I've been through more than I want to think about (and we may  get hit by another next week) .  Your plan sounds good to me, as long as you have some battery lanterns for lighting.  Flashlights are nice, but not if the power is out indefinitely.  My first hurricane lasted about 24 hours, with 4-6 hours being really bad, and I sat through it alone.  It's not an experience I would care to repeat, but I got through it with a battery radio tuned to the local public radio station.

Good luck, hold fast, and we'll talk to you after it's over.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 01:10:20 AM by Fireman »

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #51 on: September 24, 2022, 01:16:13 AM
Both of you stay safe!  Coming from a country in the path of tropical storms, I believe I can relate with how it feels.

Have lights, batteries on standby as power is often the first to go, for safety reasons! Hope all rechargeable stuff are topped off.

Stay safe!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: September 24, 2022, 01:25:57 AM
Thanks.  This is my third hurricane, and its supposedly going to be worse than the previous two.  We will see how it works out.

I have a battery powered radio somewhere but I couldn't locate it earlier, so I will just have to manage without it.  I have, however downloaded a lot of stuff from Netflix, so I can amuse myself with that when the power goes out.

I also couldn't find my lantern but that's no big deal- I have a good AA powered LED work light that would work well.  I also rarely turn on lights anyway, navigating well in the dark from having worked nights for much of my life.  I like a light when I eat, or when I am doing something that requires it, but the rest of the time I am usually more comfortable in the dark.

Def

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #53 on: September 24, 2022, 10:00:14 AM
Hope all is well Def.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: September 24, 2022, 02:13:04 PM
Thanks.  This is my third hurricane, and its supposedly going to be worse than the previous two.  We will see how it works out.

I have a battery powered radio somewhere but I couldn't locate it earlier, so I will just have to manage without it.  I have, however downloaded a lot of stuff from Netflix, so I can amuse myself with that when the power goes out.

I also couldn't find my lantern but that's no big deal- I have a good AA powered LED work light that would work well.  I also rarely turn on lights anyway, navigating well in the dark from having worked nights for much of my life.  I like a light when I eat, or when I am doing something that requires it, but the rest of the time I am usually more comfortable in the dark.

Def

Hope your house didn't get hit too hard. It sounds like there are a lot of trees down   :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: September 24, 2022, 02:14:04 PM
I have internet access on my phone at the moment (has been intermittent) but so far I'm okay.

I walked around my neighborhood a few minutes ago and got some photos.  Trees and wires are down, but it seems like we are mostly okay here.

There are still a few hours of storm left that can still make a huge mess, but we seem to be through the worst of it.

Def

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: September 24, 2022, 03:05:27 PM
That's great news !   

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: September 24, 2022, 03:16:16 PM
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: September 24, 2022, 06:46:27 PM
Hope everyone over there are safe and people are at least half as prepared as you are boss

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #59 on: September 24, 2022, 07:46:03 PM
I have internet access on my phone at the moment (has been intermittent) but so far I'm okay.

I walked around my neighborhood a few minutes ago and got some photos.  Trees and wires are down, but it seems like we are mostly okay here.

There are still a few hours of storm left that can still make a huge mess, but we seem to be through the worst of it.

Def

In hurricane terms that's pretty good news.   Glad you're OK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%