Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bosch Pro

Ivo · 23 · 4757

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Bosch Pro
on: September 26, 2019, 04:06:38 PM
These are my favorite power tools, the Bosch Pro series. They are powerful light and very easy to handle. For me they are the best power tools available.
IMG_20190926_155719.jpg
* IMG_20190926_155719.jpg (Filesize: 119.64 KB)
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Bosch Pro
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:15:10 AM
I haven't tried all the power tools out there, and there are various categories to be the best in, but the blue Bosch series is certainly good workhorses overall. I landed on Bosch many years ago after trying various others in the workhorse price segment. Their handheld machines are generally good. That said I'm a bit more dubious about some of their the larger stationary tools.

Over the years I've broken a straight grinder, an angle grinder, a bitdriver and a cutting saw. That actually isn't all that bad over an average tool lifetime of some 10-15 years or so. And while a few have died the large majority still keep chugging along nicely. My main gripe is that 14.4v batteries are hard to come by now.

Below is a picture of a well used old blue Bosch 14.4v "Brute" drill. Over the years I've come to understand the Brute nickname. First off because it is heavy and with lots of torque. Torque setting 5 on this one equals about a setting of 20 on the newer models.. It is a matter of troque over speed though as it is quite a bit slower too. Then there is the sheer refusal of this machine to break or die. Over the years it has survided the following - and it still works fine:
  • Forgot outside on the deck of a boat at sea. Salt water soaked - kept on chugging. Same with rain, snow and what not.
  • Dropped about 2m / 7 feet onto a concrete floor. No problem.
  • Dropped about 3.5m / 12 feet from a roof and down on some rocks. No problem.
  • Borrowed to relatives who managed to loose it into a bucket of concrete and submerge it. Found before the concrete hardened. Wiped off, still working, but with some concrete stains.
  • Dropped from about 3m /10 feet onto a concrete floor. Ventilation cover had to be glued back on. Otherwise fine.
I do believe that one is the exception though. Both the dead straight and angle grinder died after a simple fall on concrete from normal table height.
IMG_9940_Bitky.jpg
* IMG_9940_Bitky.jpg (Filesize: 50.75 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 08:22:03 AM
good choice
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 05:33:30 PM
I have some more of the small handheld tools from Bosch Pro and Bosch Green and also 2 hammer drills from Bosch Pro and never had problems with any of them.
I can't tell if the really big Bosch Pro tools are good of bad because I have other brands.  :hatsoff:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 07:07:02 PM
I have a set of the 12v Bosch stuff and it has been great.

I also have and use daily the Milwaukee M12 stuff and one thing that I have observed is that these both seem to me as though they are made in the same factory or at least with the same design and battery implementation for the small batteries at least?
The little Sawzalls are almost identical and I have been tempted more than once to find a way to adapt the tools/batteries to be able to be used across the brands.

I will get pics to show what I mean but they are a lot more alike than different is what I am saying. :whistle:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 02:15:08 AM
I have a set of the 12v Bosch stuff and it has been great.

I also have and use daily the Milwaukee M12 stuff and one thing that I have observed is that these both seem to me as though they are made in the same factory or at least with the same design and battery implementation for the small batteries at least?
The little Sawzalls are almost identical and I have been tempted more than once to find a way to adapt the tools/batteries to be able to be used across the brands.

I will get pics to show what I mean but they are a lot more alike than different is what I am saying. :whistle:

That's what I was thinking. A buddy of mine has the whole set, and I noticed how similar these Bosch are to it.   For my use, I really like the size of these tools. My friend of mine and I were working on a replumbing (rusted out steel and brittle PVC is failing) project in my folks' basement, and where his little Milwaukee mini Sawzall fit, I am sure the Dewalt my folks have would not.  Been considering getting the drill myself. Tired of dragging out an extension cord (I only personally own a vintage Millers Falls 2-A hand-crank drill, and 1/2 and 5/8 electric drills); or having to borrow my folks' tools.

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:55 PM
I just bought another 12V set for only €99,99 in Germany.  :hatsoff:

-drill
-battery charger
-2 batteries
-complete bit-set
-carrying case

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 09:36:37 PM
Don't have any of the battery powered tools, but my blue 900w variable speed angle grinder is a favorite of mine for sure. Blue series Bosh are top  :like:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 11:35:58 PM
I love 'em. Almost all of my power tools are Bosch Professional.

Old pic of my tool boxes:

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 11:39:00 PM
What's in the box!!! :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 01:42:16 AM
 :dd:
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 08:23:00 AM
I love 'em. Almost all of my power tools are Bosch Professional.

Old pic of my tool boxes:

(Image removed from quote.)

:o I guess you work something in construction or a handyman. Me being a hobbyist and a homeowner who makes most of the renovations on the house can't afford to get all the blue goodies if they aren't going to make money. But a one or two, here and there, is fine and makes me happy. It's a bit funny how I got my angle grinder. Since I don't use the power tools professionally I usually go with the middle ground, they don't even need to be a big brand if they have good characteristics and 2 or 3 year warranty. But my angle grinder was the cheapest one in the store, not really sure why I got that particular one - probably because I don't use it that often and decided that would do. On the second or third time I used it with a wood cutting disk with teeth (I know- not safe and not really smart , later I got a circular saw) to cut some plywood and the disk started wobbling. Thought I didn't tighten it well but no - turned out that the gear in the "head" went bust. So I needed a new one and then I heard that a store for professional grade tools offers a discount for the small size Makita and the price was as for lower grade of the same size. Great, I'll take it. But when I went to the store I looked around and thought - yeah, I need a small size grinder but should it be the weakest one. No, let's get something with a bit more power. Oh, and regulation of the speed would be nice. What you say mr Salesman - blue Bosch ? Hm  :D So that's how I ended up from the smurftiest angle grinder to probably the best that is being offered around here .

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 09:49:11 AM
Hi DavisNikolov,

Actually I am a hobbyist as well. The photo is a bit misleading I must admit, because a lot of the boxes contain hand tools, screws and other random stuff. But on the other hand, I have added some Bosch power tools since.
I started with a set of five tools from the 10.8V line (currently marketed as 12V ;) ) and I kept those when I upgraded to the 18V line. Got some pretty good deals on Amazon Germany and other sites :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 04:11:23 PM
I value good tools whether it is for professional project use or for personal use. I reckon my time has some value all on its own whether it is paid for or my free time. I generally work faster and better with reliable tools that do as they are supposed to, and I find failing or cumbersome tools beyond frustrating. Thus for tools I expect to use a lot of I prioritize quality tools. For rarities or one off tasks I'll happily save some and get some cheap tool provided it can get the job done at the required quality.

When looking at the costs I try to consider the life time costs. Per year the cost of the expensive machines often aren't that expensive. I have some that have been going on for about 20 years by now. I'm not sure a cheap made alternative would make it that far or anywhere close. The cost per year used might not be that different, and if so I'd rather spend the years working with the good stuff.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 05:03:04 AM

• Borrowed to relatives who managed to loose it into a bucket of concrete and submerge it. Found before the concrete hardened. Wiped off, still working, but with some concrete stains.

You just reminded me why I no longer lend tools to anyone ( I don't care if you are a close friend or a blood relative - I've had and seen too many bad experiences).  I did trust one friend enough, but he moved interstate.

There is a funny ad running on Oz pay-TV at the moment. A neighbour approaches a bloke in his garage/workshop asking to borrow an electric hedge trimmer.  The bloke presses a button and the wall of quality electric tools suddenly disappears, replaced by a board with a whole lot of rusty hand operated tools.  The neighbour is sent on his way with a rusty manual pair of hedge shears, looking very disappointed   :rofl:   :tu:   :salute:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 10:37:38 AM
Last time I borrowed a power tool was to the neighbor who had someone come to install new windows. They needed a angle grinder but forgot to bring one (here I should have thought something wasn't right, I've been assembling kitchen cabinets as a job for couple of months and when you go to a job site you bring everything and I mean like the whole shop).
Anyway, I gave them the grinder (it was that cheap one, so I didn't care much) and went to see what they are doing. He was up on a ladder and needed to cut a piece of rebar sticking out of a column. He couldn't turn the grinder on, but let's not bash him for that - the switch was a smurf indeed, you needed to slide a little piece if it sideways in order to push the whole thing forward. And that should pretty much be done with the tip or the finger while pressing pretty hard. So he is up on a ladder, I turn the grinder on for him. He cuts what needed cutting and tries to turn it off. But didn't manage to do it and decided to turn the grinder upside down to take a better look at the key. Remember he is up on a ladder ? So the power cable comes from where ? And what would happen if you turn working angle grinder with the wheel towards the ground ? There were a lot of sparks, he got just a bit of shock. He managed to stay up, and didn't fall. Nothing besides his ego and the power cable (completely cut in 2) were harmed.
Since then I borrow tools only to my father and one close friend (who might brake something, but also helps me a lot so  :dunno:) . If other friends or a neighbor I'm close with ask for a tool I answer - here, let me do it for you. For everybody else - sorry, don't have it or don't give it

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 04:01:47 PM
A neighbour approaches a bloke in his garage/workshop asking to borrow an electric hedge trimmer.  The bloke presses a button and the wall of quality electric tools suddenly disappears, replaced by a board with a whole lot of rusty hand operated tools.  The neighbour is sent on his way with a rusty manual pair of hedge shears, looking very disappointed   :rofl:   :tu:   :salute:

I think I want one that works the other way around - normally only showing the rusty stuff.

For the most part people who have borrowed stuff returns it in the same condition. Although once I got back something completely different  ::) , and I'm still waiting for a car jack and a big blue Bosch two handed angle grinder to be returned. Going on some 10 years on that one, but there is always hope I guess.  :dunno:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 04:32:10 PM
We've been using this impact drill with excellent 6 Amp batteries for going on 4+ years now underground for drilling 8mm holes in solid rock for attachment pointa when caving. Works great. And I've used it while renovating my flat to chisel down ceramic tiles in both the kitchen and bathroom, I with the bosch akku and my father with his big corded impact drill. He was frowning on it being a toy he said. His overheated a few times and tired hia hands over time, Bosch just worked. :) He checked his mind quickly. :D

Vidar dropping the drill reminded me of a friend who dropped a drill the same as mine 20+ meters down a pitch while in a rope. Luckily he was the first to go and no one was beneath him. The battery flew one way, the drill the other, but after it was reassembled, it still worked :o

I've used Hilti and Milwaukee drills, Hilti is the synonym for impact drills here, and truly an awesome drill, but at about 50% higher price. Milwaukee is smaller, lighter, but with less battery capacity too. For me, the Bosch is just perfect.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2021, 06:43:48 PM
All mine are Bosch Pro now, love ‘em
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2021, 08:37:07 PM
Vidar dropping the drill reminded me of a friend who dropped a drill the same as mine 20+ meters down a pitch while in a rope. Luckily he was the first to go and no one was beneath him. The battery flew one way, the drill the other, but after it was reassembled, it still worked :o

While I guess there is an element of sheer luck with a drop from that height it is still very impressive!

I've used Hilti and Milwaukee drills, Hilti is the synonym for impact drills here, and truly an awesome drill, but at about 50% higher price. Milwaukee is smaller, lighter, but with less battery capacity too. For me, the Bosch is just perfect.

There are certainly more expensive brands out there that also claims the extra price is worth it, and I've come across some quite adamant users who would swear to that. (Festool, Fein, and some other starting with, eh, R? I don't remember). If I was doing relevant work several hours per day I guess the extra something might be justified? But as it is I suspect a reliable working tool is my sweet spot too.

(Hilti is the thing for impact drills here too, and having tried one for big concrete holes it I'd agree with that . Also much better for suddenly twisting your wrists into unnatural postures).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 11:02:04 AM
You just reminded me why I no longer lend tools to anyone ( I don't care if you are a close friend or a blood relative - I've had and seen too many bad experiences).  I did trust one friend enough, but he moved interstate.

There is a funny ad running on Oz pay-TV at the moment. A neighbour approaches a bloke in his garage/workshop asking to borrow an electric hedge trimmer.  The bloke presses a button and the wall of quality electric tools suddenly disappears, replaced by a board with a whole lot of rusty hand operated tools.  The neighbour is sent on his way with a rusty manual pair of hedge shears, looking very disappointed   :rofl:   :tu:   :salute:

Here's the ad:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/Bushranger.AUS/
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 09:07:35 AM
Milwaukee is smaller, lighter, but with less battery capacity too. For me, the Bosch is just perfect.

Interesting you say that, maybe that's true for 18v tools, but Bosch is the king of compact for 12v, while Milwaukee always go for more power. Bosch 1st gen of brushless are only 180 inch.lb while Milwaukee is 325/350, but 2nd gen released at end of last year is up to 300 inch.lb. I just upgraded to GSR12V-300HXN from PS22 and it's absolutely tiny, less than 5" long. My buddy who is Milwaukee fan bought their version, a bit more powerful but almost 2" longer.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 20, 2021, 05:21:45 PM
I recently switch from a PSR easy Li-2 (Bosch DIY) -that I gave to my grandpa-, to a GSB 120-Li (Bosch Pro)
So I'm looking for good spare 12V batteries for the GSB 120-Li, ...

==> Do anyone knows a good place to find some reasonably priced original (or overwise) batteries? (either BAT411 or VAT420 type)
GSB-120LI.jpg
* GSB-120LI.jpg (Filesize: 129.62 KB)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56