Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ozark Trail (Wal-Mart) Multiforce: First Impressions and Wave Comparison

NetsNJ · 15 · 7995

us Offline NetsNJ

Wal Mart has quietly released a Wave knockoff of surprisingly high quality.  This tool retails for $37.74, which is 4x-10x times the price of the usual Ozark Trail piece of junk.  The tool takes definite inspiration from the wave.  In some ways, I think the design is an improvement.  The fit and finish of course can't compete with the mighty USA made Leatherman, but this costs 63% less than a Wave!

TL;DR: Well worth $40.  Bit driver+bit extender that accepts standard bits and blades on pivot opposite to Wave are welcome changes.  No eyeglass screwdriver to make room for full-size bits.  Blades are sharp with no play.  All tools have good fit and finish, but below that of the Wave.  Most suspect tool is the file (good files are expensive), but I haven't really tested it.  Will be buying another!

Wal-Mart posts the following diagram on their website:

In this review, I will post side by side comparison pics of the Multiforce and the LM Wave, since it is impossible to discuss one without the other.  It is about the same length and width as the Wave, but it definitely chunkier.  Notice that the sheet metal of the chassis is a bit thicker than the wave.

The pliers are very similar, notice that Wal Mart included a cap crimper at the base of the plier head!  Notably, I feel zero flex when pressing down hard on the handles.  My OG waves flex like crazy, my "new" Waves still flex a bit.  The head is nicely formed, with excellently shaped teeth.  The wire cutters do not touch (much less cut paper) like on a fresh Wave, but they do cut paper clips.  Haven't tried anything thicker.  The plier pivot is completely smooth, with no play.  When closing the pliers into the handle, you don't have the friction against the handle like on the Wave.  (Pros: no scratches on plier head out of the box.  Cons: looser retention when closed.)

The blades are sharp, have zero play.  They are a tad shorter than the Wave.  Serrated blade is definitely less sharp.  They do lock with the same "click" as a Wave, but the locks seems totally secure.  The thumb holes are very rounded, so deployment is not as effortless one-handed a Wave, but the blade pivots are smooth.  My PE blade sliced paper out of the box, no idea how well it will hold up though. 

The blades have a liner-lock that looks stout.  My thumb is on the rocker bar lock for the internal tools.

One thing that I love ( :tu: ) is that the blades are attached on the "tool" side, not the "plier" side.  While the Wave looks cool, I find that having the blades and pliers on the same pivot makes it almost impossible to tune.  When pliers get a little loose, I like having the simple option of just tightening the screws.  With a Wave, you can't do that, as the blades will become way too tight.  For me, this is a definite design improvement!

The saw looks very similar to the Wave, although the Wave tapers much more towards the spine for easier cutting.  The Wave's spine is also hella sharp (I cut my thumb on it once!), while the Multiforce is a bit rounded.

The file has a diamond coating (!) on one side, and cross-cut on the other.  Have not tried either.  The cross-cut file is definitely better than a SOG (shame on you SOG!!), but nowhere near as good as a Victorinox, Gerber file or some Leatherman files.  (I actually find the Wave file to be weak.  ST300 is better, Rebar and Juice are excellent!) . I forgot to take a picture, but there are teeth on the bottom, but weak teeth.

The scissors are fine, less sharp but thicker than the Wave.  Work fine on paper, cardboard.

We also have a can/bottle opener and wire stripper and large flathead.  Unremarkable, fine.

No stupid eyeglass screwdriver!  (Despise that space waster.)  That space is used for something much better....

A bit driver that takes standard bits!!!!

There is no magnet, so retention depends on a ball bearing spring in the supplied Ph/Flathead double headed bit they give you.  The driver accepts LM proprietary bits, but there would be no retention.  Impressively, the tool comes with a handy bit-extender.  This does have a magnet, but a weak one.

LM bits are nice because they are slim and light, full size bits are a lot to carry.  But this tool is more flexible, and the bit extender is awesome!

There is also a ruler, but lasered not stamped:

Notice that the tool has "scales", the chassis is not one piece of rolled sheet metal.  Much easier to manufacture I'm sure, but also allows for some weight rebalancing.  Thicker steel on core frame, thinner steel on scales.  Improvement, honestly. 

us Offline BadMechanic

Good comparison  :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Thanks so much for this! I've been waiting for some in depth comparisons of those two. :hatsoff:
If I could, I'd buy one. Probably the best off-brand multi-tool, and definitely the best Wave copy. :salute:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Very nice review of the tools!  :like: :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Thanks for the review! For that price I might even pick it up next time I am in a Walmart  :tu:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
  So the cross cut file on the Victorinox are actually the best?  :think:  Might rethink the reviews I heard of the SwissTool X about the nail nicks being on the wrong side. Still not bitten as I'd like to try a used SwissTool first, but no one I know of around here has a Victorinox I could use for a while.

Pending a review of the file, might be a tool I can feel less guilty about to make it semi-knifeless. Maybe shorten the knife to box cutter size, and maybe shorten the saw to a flat butter knife like the Flair had. May have to remove or cut the other blade to make it knifeless.

The Ozark looks to be a bit thicker. How does the weight compare. Am guessing there's a cheap nylon case?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

it Offline SirVicaLot

I tried to grab one today at my local Walmart. The app said they had plenty in stock, yet when I got there, they were nowhere to be found  :dunno: Guess I will wait a few weeks.

Offline mikekoz

I tried to grab one today at my local Walmart. The app said they had plenty in stock, yet when I got there, they were nowhere to be found  :dunno: Guess I will wait a few weeks.

I had that same problem the first time I looked. A guy that worked there could not even find them. I went to another Walmart, and they had them in the area where they keep camping tools and supplies on a shelf below where everything was hanging. They were actually behind another boxed item and I had to look pretty hard to see the large orange and green box they are in. The following week I went back to the first Walmart I looked at, and they were also in the camping area, but sitting on the upper shelf ABOVE all of the hanging items where they normally put overstock. They made me work for it!

us Offline JustinCase

You can Google it to find out which Walmart close to you has them in stock and order it online for the exact same price. You will receive an email in about an hour letting you know when it's ready to go and pick it up.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

it Offline SirVicaLot

Went to Walmart again today and they had one on display, so I could handle it. I was unable to open the tool layer with scissors, knife, etc. The tools were so cramped in there, I would have needed a pry bar to get them deployed.
Not sure if this is a design flaw or something that could be fixed with some oil. I also had the feeling that I could not reach the nail nicks very well.

I decided not to get one. Which I could not have anyway. Apparently they only had the one on display, but none to sell.  :facepalm:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
After much searching I finally found them in my Walmart. They’re under the glass case, and there was even one in the raggedy, ill-sorted display case itself. I handled it, and liked it enough to buy one. I’m really impressed, it’s a far better tool than my wingman. Some of my tools were a tad tight, but I loosened the pivots with a pair of torx drivers and that was that.

I like that I can tighten or loosen the plier and tool pivots independently. I can fine tune the ease of deploying the blades, and that doesn’t make the plier handles too loose.

Yeah this is a good buy. It’s a WAY better buy than a $60 wingman :/

Charles.

• No Life Club

There is no magnet, so retention depends on a ball bearing spring in the supplied Ph/Flathead double headed bit they give you.  The driver accepts LM proprietary bits, but there would be no retention.  Impressively, the tool comes with a handy bit-extender.  This does have a magnet, but a weak one.

You say the bit extension has a weak magnet. This isn’t actually the case. It’s a normal magnet, but it is at a greater depth, and only contacts double ended bits. So it’s actually not particularly useful for regular bits. However, Double ended bits are pretty common. There are a couple sources.

Double ended bits with ball retention:

Milwaukee 11-in-1 screwdriver. $10-13 from amazon or Home Depot. Home Depot version has a different bit than amazon version.

Klien tools 11-in-1 screwdriver. $15.

Klein Tools replacement bits. You can order some interesting replacement bits, like the 13231 schrader valve/flat head bit, the 32752 combo bit, the 32554 4mm/5mm metric Allen bit, and more. It gets a bit pricey ordering them one by one.

Best way 88400 (#1, #2, 3/16, 1/4) 88401 (T15, T20, SQ1, SQ2) and 88402 (#0, #3, 9/32, 1/8) replacement bits. These come two to a pack for $5.

Double ended bits without ball retention (work with magnet in bit extension):

Wiha 77780 replacement bit kit for tradesman ultra driver. At $16 this is the best bang for your buck, but they’ll only stay retained in the bit extender. This kit includes a larger set of metric Allen bits as well. (6mm is not available from Klein tools)

I ordered the best way 88400 to get a #2 Phillips with ball retention, as the tool comes stock with a #1. Then I ordered the wiha kit. That seemed the most economical way to get a large bit selection.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Got the Wiha bit kit in today. It all fits perfectly in the driver extension except the 5mm/6mm bit. The 6mm bit doesn't fit all the way down in the handle and doesn't touch the magnet.  Everything else locks in place via the magnet perfectly.

Posted this in the wrong thread originally. Sorry for the cross posting.

Anyhow, I like these bits, they're high quality and fit will. I wish there was a solution for the 6mm bit to fit correctly, but it's so close to quarter inch that I just don't think a 6mm is suitable for this extension. The down side, of course, is that I can use the 6mm but not the 5mm, as it falls out and is not retained. D'oh.

But every other bit fits and works perfectly.

Charles.

• No Life Club
One other thing. On both of the multi forces I own, the cutters touch when new. It took some use before they loosened up and wore in against each other.

In the photo below you can see where the cutters are wearing in. This one is still new and still a little stiff as the cutters haven’t fully bedded in yet.

Charles.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
After less than a year of use the pliers are broken by just pulling a 1 inch nail from a piece of wood!
broken multiforce.jpeg
* broken multiforce.jpeg (Filesize: 135.45 KB)
Enjoy!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD