Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Design Engineer AMA

Offline Alex_LTG

• New User
Leatherman Design Engineer AMA
on: October 03, 2019, 11:38:56 PM
The Leatherman Design Engineers are doing an AMA over on Reddit right now on r/EDC.  Come ask us questions!

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/comments/dcx5i3/hey_everyone_we_are_leatherman_engineers_ask_us/

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Design Engineer AMA
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 02:10:44 AM
Wouldn't it be better for you all to be here and let us ask questions here :think: we have a much larger MT following if you hadn't noticed :whistle:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 03:15:31 PM
But reddit is so much more state of the art. An old style forum is so 90s... :pok: :D
Guess that is the reason I don’t like reddit  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 03:41:32 PM
Welcome to MTo Alex.  Glad t have you here. 

Since Alex is on MTo I'll encourage our members to ask questions here as well.   

:popcorn:     
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:24:45 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 05:17:17 PM
Welcome to MTo Alex.  Glad t have you here. 

Since Alex is on MTo I'll encourage our members to ask questions here as well.   

:iagree: :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 05:18:41 PM
Are they updating the Supertool line any time soon? :think: :cheers:

Will we see a new  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh tool released any time soon :dd: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 05:32:43 PM
Also are there any plans to update or make a larger version of the Crunch  :think:

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 05:58:05 PM
Also are there any plans to update or make a larger version of the Crunch  :think:

That would be great, or even a black oxide version  :D

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 06:45:34 PM
The Leatherman Design Engineers are doing an AMA over on Reddit right now on r/EDC.  Come ask us questions!

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/comments/dcx5i3/hey_everyone_we_are_leatherman_engineers_ask_us/

Hello and welcome to MTo  !    :cheers:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 06:48:14 PM
Reddit though...

People here could write stories on tools... :hatsoff:

Offline Alex_LTG

• New User
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 07:15:17 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome!  Long time lurker, first time poster here.  But yes, we are very aware that you have the strongest following of multitool enthusiasts anywhere on the internet/planet/galaxy. Although Reddit is a really great place to reach people that haven't already set their paychecks to directly deposit to Leatherman.com.  ;)  So no shade being thrown at the very '90s ambiance we have going on here.  As a car enthusiast, this isn't the only old school forum I frequent.

While I can't tell you about what is coming next from us, I can tell you that ST300 is one that we consider to be a core product and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Also, the crunch is a favorite among the engineers at Leatherman.  The design has Tim's fingerprints all over it, so it's always cool to work with/on that tool.  Also you can't beat a good pair of locking pliers, so know that we share your enthusiasm for that tool.

I mostly posted on here to pump up our AMA and get some good questions, I know you guys are always digging into the whys and hows of what we do.  So I might check this post from time-to-time, but I'm pretty sure this community could turn question answering into a full-time job so don't be too offended if I don't answer every single question.  We do have a stellar team of customer service reps that are actually paid to do just that if you have a burning question that you absolutely need answered.

Thanks to you all for your enthusiasm and interest!

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 09:51:57 PM
My2cents, LMN should check the mod thread and get a hint or two for the next line of tools. Reddit or forum chat/mirc et ... Hmm...not much different.
Ps: i have a feeling they avoid multitool users on purpose
Pps: now that i think, reddit, social media is more PR
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 10:20:04 PM
Wave is IMHO your best all round tool.  Please don't drop it.  And please leave pivots as is, so we can mod the tool to suit our own needs.

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 12:02:06 AM
Can't sleep so i haunt the web.
Here are my Q?
1. When shall we have a more customisation oriented web tool? Or will cuatomisation be offered inthe futire. I stressed you via mail, great that you can add laser engraving yet what if i want a specific tool set wich i can choose from LMN database
2. Modularity? Will we see something like that? It is somehow a niche yet has enormous potential. I see in the Freestyle Skeletool line aomething similar the ideea i have in my mind yet there are rivets all over. Maybe you can figure out some sort of mechanism, and i could have a pocket tool that can be attached to a ploer multitool.
3. When shall we expect  Free P and T v2 with improved blade opening. On the P series its okeish, yet on the T series its a headake (with one hand)
4. Does  the Free family naming come from Freedom, i keep saying that to everyone, as you are able to deply the tools with one hand. Am i right? Please say i am right :)
5. Why are the prices of LMN so high in the Land of Dracula? Vampires are imune to 420HC. 
6. When shall we have a more luxurious blade steel available on all the current LMN multipurpose tools? Will the blades be sold separately, think this will be more portmonais friendly.
7. Will there be a MegaTool and Nanotool? Cuz Super and Mini are taken ;) #joke, have a nice weekend y'all
Sanger's laws:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 02:19:24 AM
So uh, y'all hiring?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 05:03:56 AM
Will there be a Star Trek edition? What about StarWars with a lightsaber blade inside.
What about a Batarang multitool for you know who.
Any chance to know if you are using polymimetic alloy for a future tool? Watch out, they have a tendency to time travel and mess all the timelines.
Why is Ainsworth leather sheat misspelled with a S and not T? I'm bad yet... That price...
Why does LMN not use leather sheats anymore and went for plastic ones.
Sanger's laws:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 05:47:23 AM
Will there be a Star Trek edition? What about StarWars with a lightsaber blade inside.
What about a Batarang multitool for you know who.
Any chance to know if you are using polymimetic alloy for a future tool? Watch out, they have a tendency to time travel and mess all the timelines.
Why is Ainsworth leather sheat misspelled with a S and not T? I'm bad yet... That price...
Why does LMN not use leather sheats anymore and went for plastic ones.

And you wonder why they don't hang out here more   ::)

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 02:19:06 PM
Yeah, because the people over at reddit are more sane...or less drunk (maybe)  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 04:16:26 PM
The Surge is terrific tool.  The blade exchanger takes this MT to a new level of functionality for many of us  :clap:.  Are there any designs in the works that build off this?  Yes you have the bit holder and thats also a great implement.  I figure theres got to be something else......  :dunno:.  Ratcheting device?  Utilizing the frame to house a retractable utility blade? 

We like the direction the Wave has gone for the most part.  It does seem Leatherman is listening and watching whats being done to their tools.  Here on MTO as you know we have some very talented modders.  I think a great many of us who love the platform of the Wave would love to finally see outside opening scissors.  I think we'd all tend to agree we can loose the serrated blade.  Any thoughts of designing a great pair of OHO scissors for the Wave/Charge line?

Huge Squirt fan here.  Its such wonderful tool and one I feel incredibly confident in carrying even in its small package.  In particular I love the P4 and more particularly the scales.  When I got the newer PS4 it was evident the scale were missing the "cutouts" for easier access to the implements.  Not sure why the scales no longer have those.  Any reason for the change of scales?  I for one would love to see the P4 back  :tu:.

Heres a link I hope you follow to better illustrate what I am saying. 
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,78694.msg1766060.html#msg1766060

Alex, thanks again for popping your head in. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 06:45:48 PM
And you wonder why they don't hang out here more   ::)

:rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 06:48:27 PM
The Surge is terrific tool.  The blade exchanger takes this MT to a new level of functionality for many of us  :clap:.  Are there any designs in the works that build off this?  Yes you have the bit holder and thats also a great implement.  I figure theres got to be something else......  :dunno:.  Ratcheting device?  Utilizing the frame to house a retractable utility blade? 

We like the direction the Wave has gone for the most part.  It does seem Leatherman is listening and watching whats being done to their tools.  Here on MTO as you know we have some very talented modders.  I think a great many of us who love the platform of the Wave would love to finally see outside opening scissors.  I think we'd all tend to agree we can loose the serrated blade.  Any thoughts of designing a great pair of OHO scissors for the Wave/Charge line?

Huge Squirt fan here.  Its such wonderful tool and one I feel incredibly confident in carrying even in its small package.  In particular I love the P4 and more particularly the scales.  When I got the newer PS4 it was evident the scale were missing the "cutouts" for easier access to the implements.  Not sure why the scales no longer have those.  Any reason for the change of scales?  I for one would love to see the P4 back  :tu:.

:iagree: and some great points, Aloha :tu:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 06:51:09 PM

All great points!

Surge is definitely a great tool. The blade exchanger is a good feature to have to add that much more diverse utility.

I also agree with the Squirt. I have the ES4 and will be getting a PS4 to pair. They are ridiculously tiny but still big enough to be useful. for the price and utility on them, well worth getting one.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: October 05, 2019, 11:48:55 PM
I know gregozedobe also carries a Squirt exclusively ( P4 ) so we are not alone.  I have to say I am a huge fan of both the looks of, and utility of, the Style PS and CS.  Wonderful tools in their own right and lots of capability. 

I'd be curious about the LEEP and any thought about future designs especially the removable blade aspect?  Seems like a really great idea for our friends across the pond  :pok:.  We have had some discussions about the LEEP and I think some of us were pretty stoked when it was announced and released.  Sadly it seems to not have made such a splash for y'all  :dunno:.  It seems like such a great platform upon which to really build upon. 

What impact does a tool have to have for y'all to continue R&D?  Y'all knocked the Wave versions out the park IMO as well as the Surge.  The Super Tool line is another that has continued to be developed to what it is now ST300.  Other tools seems to be a bit stagnant tho they have their following and supporters. 

I do hope LTG as a whole is as enthusiastic as you say we are about these wonderful tools?  Seems every member who has meet the MAN himself < TIM LEATHERMAN > has commented how enthusiastic he is about multitools.  I do hope whatever y'all have in the pipeline is industry leading and more importantly quality that we can all be super proud about.  While I personally dont expect or need you or anyone at LTG to discuss with us upcoming projects or answer questions it sure is nice to know the passion begins with LTG. 

I sure hope that came off ok?   

Just so you know, I started off a Wave fanatic.  I moved to the Surge (old version ) to the New Surge.  I have had in my hands darn near every LM tool produced.  I currently carry a OG Scaled Charge TTi and discontinued Ti.  My BO New Surge and Old modified Surge as well as a modified Wave are all in use as well.  I also use a Squirt P4 and PS4 and Style PS and CS.  Yeah I'm a Leatherman fan big time.

A member of ours recently met with Tim Leatherman and I am always so excited to hear how wonderful he and his wife are.  How genuinely interested he is in talking about multitools and even ones that are modded. 

Lastly, for most of us its about pride of ownership.  So when we are critical about QC or designs just know its pride of ownership.  We or should I say, I, share my love of multitools here with like minded folks as well as my personal life and I was to be proud to show off and discuss these tools I carry.  When I suggest one here or otherwise and the feedback is the tool lacked QC, I take it personal.  I'll repeat, I take it personal. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gregpost

Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 05:54:43 PM
Seems like they pretty much confirmed a titanium scaled Free Series variant with upgraded blade steel. That's going to be a very pricey multitool...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 07:40:51 PM
1) What the smurf is an AMA?
2) Why the aversion to proper words?
3) Are you relieved I don't use Reddit?  :D

:P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gregpost

Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 07:53:48 PM
AMA - ask me anything.

I find Reddit threads very difficult to follow. I have no idea why that site is as popular as it is.

us Offline carl

Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 06:58:55 AM
I would love to see an updated Surge.  See below video from TX Tool Crib for all the updates/improvements I would like to see.

Thank you for making yourself available for us !

us Offline carl

Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 11:44:06 AM
Free P6.  Bigger, stouter, and more affordable.

Since the Free P4 is the same size as the wave (same distance between tool pivot points) I'd love to see a Surge-sized Free P6 with the Surge bit holder and saw blade holder.  This way, we can have a decent length of saw blade due to the longer body and hopefully a stouter chassis like the Surge too.  Having a saw blade holder on the current P4 would make the saw blade too short.   

us Offline carl

Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 12:08:52 PM
New implement Ideas for Surge: 
1)  Hemostat.  Great for hands-free fine work since the jaws lock. 
2)  Hidden tweezer (similar to swiss army knife accessory)
3)  Chisel
4)  Full-size bit drive
5)  Extended length bits like MUT

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #29 on: November 28, 2019, 09:01:42 PM
OK, you're going to hate me, but : the juice S2 is going, going…gone. Do you have something in the shop being tested to take its place (with bits instead of 4 different drivers).
And how about a SC4 with a file instead of a saw ? :D
Tell me you have a Juice S2 3.0.  And please… let it be the same color on both sides ! even better, imagine the customization possibilities !  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%