Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Ranger Grip 55 Autumn Spirit Special Edition 2019

EMZ · 26 · 1723

nl Offline EMZ

New Ranger Grip 55 Autumn Spirit Special Edition 2019
on: October 15, 2019, 09:09:35 PM
Victorinox very recently released this "Ranger Grip 55 Autumn Spirit Special Edition 2019".
Maximum of 10.000 pieces world wide.
I don't know the price.

Nice knife especially the orange color, but NO real advance in knife design or technique.
All Vic did is adding a new color and attaching a green knotted piece of rope. Common Victorinox, that's NOT progress!

ru Offline Nick4

Re: New Ranger Grip 55 Autumn Spirit Special Edition 2019
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:17:03 PM
All Vic did is adding a new color and attaching a green knotted piece of rope. Common Victorinox, that's NOT progress!
It's just a business, nothing personal.  :whistle:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:47:07 PM
It looks very nice, I would consider and probably bring home. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 11:24:05 PM
Victorinox very recently released this "Ranger Grip 55 Autumn Spirit Special Edition 2019".
Maximum of 10.000 pieces world wide.
I don't know the price.

Nice knife especially the orange color, but NO real advance in knife design or technique.
Not even a new color, no? I mean it looks like the color the Wenger Squadron Rescue (the scales), that one has only one layer (and BO tools).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:33:42 PM
If it arrives in the US, I'm definitely getting one. Love the color.

I have no problem with Vic blade steel (holds an edge decent, sharpens up nicely with little effort); but I feel special editions should be more like Spyderco's--experimenting with steels that are far superior to anything they use at present. Handle Material is where Vic could use a big improvement. Cellulose acetate is fragile, sensitive to a lot of stuff; and most American cutlery firms ditched it by 1960 in favor of Delrin. The nylon plastic scales need to be standard, but I do wish they'd mold the logo in; as they do with 111mm.  93mm with back tools, or even 91mm Alox. 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 02:40:15 AM
Nice but I will be passing on it!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 04:50:26 AM
Nice looking Vic but not something for me.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 06:44:59 AM
Erm...Predictable much
In true Victorinox fashion no less

You can see why they now dominate the Swiss Army knife sector......Oh wait !!

Is it even possible for the dull to become even duller?? They have to be the dullest brand out there.

But alas, like lemmings they will throw themselves at it.

Clearly I ain’t one of Vic’s biggest fans - the company annoys the hell out of me!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 08:21:25 AM

I try to stop myself from commenting on SE/LE topics cause some day the collectors over here might think i have something against collectors, which i don't.... I have zero interest in it personally, but i understand those who love it.
Neither i have any beef with Vic's endless releases of SE/LE's, but com'on.... It's pretty much ALL they do for quite some time..  :facepalm:
 Always some plain standard model with just fancy scales and a nice box, sold at 3 or 4 times the price of the same standard model, FFS....

I wouldn't mind paying more for an SE/LE with different/better materials (liners/tools/pins/scales (as long as they look exactly the same as the standard red ones...  :pommel:)), some new implements, or even some LE of some popular discontinued models,..
Anything else other than just some nice cosmetics with no real advantage in use and function, cause that's what I, and I'm sure a lot of other folks are interested in...  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:51:15 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 01:23:26 PM
Only a bloody idiot would get one of these.
So naturally I just ordered mine for 86 euros from the Schweizermesser-shop.de (The same shop that, back in the golden days, produced Pioneers in every colour under the sun until Victorinox realised they could, like the De Beers diamond company, make lots more money by squeezing the supply to a trickle.)
Anyway - Everyone is missing the key feature on this Ranger. It's ORANGE! Since I have a fetish for all things orange (apart from the fruit, strangely) I couldn't not get one, even if it is 40 euros more than the red equivalent.
Lanyard, schmanyard - I'll probably bin it. The orange juiciness is all I'm interested in.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 01:36:45 PM
I also believe Vic is pushing their SE models to something that's starting to gross me out.

I only got the Nespresso line so far, along with a golden Climber 2016 since it's a unique colour, and the liners are made from nickel rather than aluminum...

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 02:38:09 PM
So naturally I just ordered mine for 86 euros from the Schweizermesser-shop.de (The same shop that, back in the golden days, produced Pioneers in every colour under the sun until Victorinox realised they could, like the De Beers diamond company, make lots more money by squeezing the supply to a trickle.)
Anyway - Everyone is missing the key feature on this Ranger. It's ORANGE! Since I have a fetish for all things orange (apart from the fruit, strangely) I couldn't not get one, even if it is 40 euros more than the red equivalent.
Lanyard, schmanyard - I'll probably bin it. The orange juiciness is all I'm interested in.

Here in the States, it's $65. I can get a standard RangerGrip 55 for a little over $40. Why bother spending that much more?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 04:44:20 PM
Yeah, it's a blatant rip-off but I am nevertheless "stoked" about getting that piece of orange awesomeness.
I'm sure they will eventually be available for less than 86 euros, in Europe, but on this occasion I was impatient.
For 65 dollars I'd buy two!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
Where there's a market there's a product.  I love the color too.  If Vic did use premium steel the price would be collector status only I think  :dunno:.  One of the things that makes this hobby fun and interesting is the "LE".  Everyone seems to do it and sure its a blatant way to squeeze money out of collectors but hey, if one finds its way to your hands for a price you're willing to pay I'm sure you'd be stoked.

I am still hoping to stumble upon a Wenger Ranger at the fleamrket.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline garza_andrew

Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 04:53:32 PM
It is nice, not really my cup of tea but I'm sure people will be buying it. I don't mind the SE/LE models, it makes it fun to collect/hunt. I certainly don't plan on buying them all.

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 08:36:40 PM
Orange is my weakness, if one show up in my neck of the woods, I will likely acquire.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 09:57:23 PM

I totally agree. Only fools buy these rip-offs limited editions.
86 Euro's...? ??? Oh well... At that price I wanna have one!!   :facepalm:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 12:45:21 AM
I will have to change my view. 

Love the orange, yet the 130mm is not my first choice for a folder with the added tools from Victorinox. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 09:44:02 PM
Pretty sure i have seen an orange 130 before  :dunno:  I really like this one though  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 10:18:40 PM
Yesterday on ebay I saw an orange Wenger Rangergrip... I think the asking price was 180 euros or so. Gone now!
Yes, it was a lovely old Wenger but there's no way I'm paying that much for a plastic knife that once cost ca.40 euros.
The Victorinox reincarnation will have to do, even if it's kind of overpriced at the moment - at least in Europe. The American price of 65 dollars sounds pretty reasonable.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 09:26:50 PM
That would be £50, sounds good, Vic is £80 but they always charge RRP, Schweisermesser want about £70 but + delivery, i was tempted to go with them and get myself a nice B-ware Pioneer camo while i'm at it but i promised myself no more Pioneers bar the LE  :angel:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 11:29:45 AM
Not very happy with the blade on this one... it's touching the liner.
orange-ranger.jpg
* orange-ranger.jpg (Filesize: 415.81 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 01:23:31 PM
:/

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 12:32:11 PM
I sent it back and got a refund. The owner of Schweizermesser-shop is a great guy so there were no problems.
Sad though! I was really keen on that orange.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 08:01:33 PM
Bummer, must have been a Friday afternooner, glad to say they don't all have sloppy workmanship though  :tu:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 08:20:33 PM
Nice to see they got that one right!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30