Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Work-around-the-house Carry

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Work-around-the-house Carry
on: October 17, 2019, 03:51:51 PM
I have been doing a lot of work around the house lately and carried two tools: A Vic tinker and a LM Skeletool.

While that combo was ok, I was sometimes missing a tool which had me go to the garage. Last night I tried to come up with a better and more rounded solution, and figured this was a great topic to get input from you guys  :hatsoff:

So, we are looking for a carry that has the following requirements:

- lightweight
- standard blade (no serrations)
- Philips (if possible 3D)
- pliers that are able to turn bolts (the kind you find on a house, not semi sized stuff)
- needle-nose pliers for hard to reach places or hard to grab stuff
- metal file
- decent size scissors (at least 91mm Vic size) to cut rubber sealing and such
- wood saw
- Awl to make pilot holes
- Prybar (mostly to open paint cans, so nothing super heavy duty)

I am open to a lot of solutions: A SAK with Knipex pliers? Could work!
Rebar with Raptor or trauma shears? Why not!

Let’s see your ideas, I look forward to your input!  :cheers:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: Work-around-the-house Carry
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 04:53:19 PM
I would say a victorinox spirit x with the scissors modded so open up more and from my father and then later in school I have it hard wired to not use pliers with bolts, I would take an adjustment wrench instead (we were not allowed those in school either, but I use them a lot nowadays) old style bacho

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 05:28:31 PM
I might be biased but besides the lightweight checkmark, Surge fulfills all that.  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:05:37 PM
Good suggestions!  :tu: Always wanted a Surge, so might have to look into that again  :D

In the meantime I went to the store and might have found a (temporary?) solution:

Found these scissors. They were advertised as Electrician's scissors, but looked pretty sturdy and somewhat compact. For 13 dollars I gave them a try. Used them already to cut some plastic strips when I installed the new storm door, and so far they are doing well. Will see how long they will take the abuse. In addition I created an MT by combining a Rebar with a Blast.

Used the handles from the Blast because they are easier on your hands for prolonged use. Put in the Rebar head with the wire cutters and switched some other tools over. Both items are still small enough to fit into the tool pocket on my work pants, and also not too heavy  :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 09:37:44 PM
A very good friend of mine worked for AT&T installing phones in homes...they were given the Klein scissors and box cutter tool that rested in a very nice sheath that they wore on there hips. He carried that even after he retired! You never saw him without it!

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 09:38:20 PM
I suggest that you find way to attach mini prybar to that combo, i have used prybar that have attached to pocketclip for sometime and gotta say it just works.

Only Tools Matters

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 09:58:49 PM
A very good friend of mine worked for AT&T installing phones in homes...they were given the Klein scissors and box cutter tool that rested in a very nice sheath that they wore on there hips. He carried that even after he retired! You never saw him without it!

Found it on Amazon. The Klein scissors look exactly like the one I bough today. Wonder if that is some kind of re-branding, or if I bought a Chinese knock-off  :facepalm:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 09:59:27 PM
I suggest that you find way to attach mini prybar to that combo, i have used prybar that have attached to pocketclip for sometime and gotta say it just works.
(Image removed from quote.)

Only Tools Matters

Good idea! Need to find a pocket clip anyway for the Blast. Did LM ever make one for that tool?

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 10:03:10 PM
Good idea! Need to find a pocket clip anyway for the Blast. Did LM ever make one for that tool?
I think it uses same picket clip as kick and its hard to find those

Only Tools Matters

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 12:11:40 AM
Around the house, it's Spirit X for me

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 12:47:29 AM
Found it on Amazon. The Klein scissors look exactly like the one I bough today. Wonder if that is some kind of re-branding, or if I bought a Chinese knock-off  :facepalm:
Well the Klein will cut a penny in half. Jay never got tired of doing that!  :rofl:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 01:13:42 AM
 :rofl: Need a video of that!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 01:16:11 AM
 :rofl: :rofl:
He should have done that! Think of all the $$$ he would have saved!  :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 03:02:56 AM
I sometimes like to carry a Leatherman Sidekick with a Mountaineer. Not a lot of overlap and you get a combination that includes scissors, wood saw, metal file/saw, and pliers.
P1110441.JPG
* P1110441.JPG (Filesize: 98.45 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 04:28:25 AM
I sometimes like to carry a Leatherman Sidekick with a Mountaineer. Not a lot of overlap and you get a combination that includes scissors, wood saw, metal file/saw, and pliers.
Nice carry :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 04:54:51 AM
 :iagree: Some good suggestions here, keep ‘em coming  :popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 06:11:16 AM
So I don't have a suggestion just can tell you items I'll carry around to house for chores and such. 

Surge.  Its pretty complete tool that can take on a wide range of tasks.  I carry 1 bit card and a few saw blades.  I'll also carry a SAK.  I've carried a CT or simple Tinker. 

Charge Ti.  I will tend to carry 1 bit card with this tool.  I'll carry a SAK as well, same as above. 

Skeletool.  1 bit card and again a SAK. 

Around the house I'll also carry a fixed blade.  Same as above I'll include a SAK.   

Izula makes for a compact carry for around the house.  I also always carry a light.  I like a light that I can attach to a hat bill/brim.  Its nice to be hands free. 

I've been weather proofing my home as well as trimming trees.  I've also replace all the roof vents and began to prep for my flat roof refinishing.  The tools all came in handy in one way or another.  I don't worry too much if I need to go to the tool box or shed for tools.  It is nice however to be able to take on the task at that moment tho. 

Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 07:05:41 AM
Thanks for your input, Aloha  :hatsoff:

The Surge has been on my wishlist for a while. Maybe there will be some good deals coming up for Black Friday or any pre-x-mas sales.  :think:

I am not a big fan of the Skeletool. I dislike combo blades in general and the plier head is too small. It is also the only MT that I pinch myself with frequently. No idea why  :dunno: I only use it because I have to justify for myself buying it at full price at the time  :facepalm:

Just to clarify: I do not mind going to my tool storage if i need to. I also don’t have to do everything with a MT. I just like to have a well rounded set of tools on me that help speed things up and make work smooth.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 08:18:23 AM
This is not a thing in a 1-bedroom bachelor flat.........literally can't get more than 3 meters away from a toolbox, and thanks to my collection and work-in-progress no more than 1 meter away from a knife  :rofl:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 08:28:59 AM
Second vote for the Spirit X, especially if it involves some kind of wood work.  This MT is meant for that.

If it is a combo MT kinda deal, I will suggest LM Crunch being the second MT.  It's really handy holding pieces down to saw/drill/screw, turn/holding onto bolts, etc.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 08:32:56 AM
and thanks to my collection and work-in-progress no more than 1 meter away from a knife  :rofl:

:like:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 08:57:17 AM
This is not a thing in a 1-bedroom bachelor flat.........literally can't get more than 3 meters away from a toolbox, and thanks to my collection and work-in-progress no more than 1 meter away from a knife  :rofl:
Slightly larger flat but still too small to really need a complete tool-bag on my hip. If I help my parents out in the garden, I simply place a garden-tool-box somewhere convenient.

Personally, if I need two hands to open the tool, I can also fetch something, so for everyday use at home it would have to be OHO. That leaves very few tools (Knives / OHT and Free series).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 03:30:03 PM

:rofl:  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 04:34:15 PM
I have a smaller home than I did.  I also have a small lot.  Its nice to have something on person which is why I carry something at home.  My Skeletool is the CX  :tu: so I have the PE 154CM blade.  I was not a fan for a long time.  It took selling off my original Skeletool then trying it again and giving one away then finally trading for this CX.  It sat for years till I decided to try again.  Not sure what clicked. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 04:56:28 PM
I’m downsizing my self - into a ProMaster 2500.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 08:58:57 PM
I've seen some great conversions.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 04:15:07 AM
Have a look at the Swisstool X as well... It has the 91mm type scissors and all the tools you listed :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #27 on: October 19, 2019, 04:40:18 AM
Surge and Spirit X. Sounds like some good choices  :D

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 04:45:45 PM

:agree: 

I'm right there with you Gerhard.  I don't put things in my pockets unless I'm going out.  At home I am just a likely to use the proper tool for the job as a MT or SAK.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 05:02:23 PM
I put on a watch everyday regardless of heading out or not.  In many ways its similar to me placing items in my pocket or on my belt.  Mostly its habit is suppose, but it has been great when I've needed just a light or a small fix.  Almost instinctively I reach for my on person tools so if I do forget or decide to carry the bare minimum I'm  :ahhh.   :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD