Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Evolution S17 question

us Offline Kraken

Victorinox Evolution S17 question
on: October 18, 2019, 03:27:42 PM
I’m looking for some advice from anyone who has the Victorinox Evolution S17. I’m looking at purchasing that knife as my son’s first pocket knife. I like the fact that the blade locks on this model. Since my wife has pointed out numerous times that my son is an exact copy of me in behavior and mannerisms, I know that no matter how many times I tell him not to stab something with a slip-joint knife, he’ll end up doing it anyway. I did with my first pocket knife and learned a valuable lesson when the blade closed and bit into my fingers. Not a serious injury, but enough to get my attention and cause me to panic that my father would take the knife back due to misuse. I'd like to avoid a trip to urgent care and the 'I told you so' looks that will inevitably follow.

I know he’ll get a lot of use out of the scissors as well. The saw is a plus too as we live in the woods and there are plenty of opportunities to cut small branches down to size for various outdoor projects. I like that the knife is 85 mm and is a bit chunky with the ergonomic handles as I think this will be easier for him to handle as he learns how to use all of the features on the knife.

My main concern is does the locking mechanism get in the way or impede the use of the knife blade or any of the other tools. From the pictures I’ve seen online it looks like it might for an adult hand, but I’m not sure about his smaller hands. The reviews I’ve read are split on the matter as well. Does anyone here have any experience with the locking blade versions of the Evolution models?
Semper Fortis

us Online FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Evolution S17 question
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 03:36:33 PM
I don't use an S17, but I use this custom SAK that has the locking blade.  I find it doesn't impede with tasks I use the knife for.  Admittedly, I may not use it as hard as a young man might.  But I think it would make a nice first knife for a young lad.
The one I use.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 03:43:23 PM
I don't use an S17, but I use this custom SAK that has the locking blade.  I find it doesn't impede with tasks I use the knife for.  Admittedly, I may not use it as hard as a young man might.  But I think it would make a nice first knife for a young lad.
The one I use.
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks FB! I love that custom. Did you mod it yourself?
Semper Fortis

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 03:46:40 PM
Thanks FB! I love that custom. Did you mod it yourself?
No, I bought it on eBay from a modder who does a bunch of Spyderco mods.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 04:02:29 PM
I dont use the knife you ask about, I do use an S10.  The locking aspect can be a little comfort for a new knife user however stabbing  :ahhh.  I've learned over time why some members are indifferent to locking folders.  I like lock backs myself.  If your son will do as dad then........ 

Ok so the locking release lever.  It can get in the way of putting the knife in the pocket and taking out.  It does sit proud.  As to getting in the way of the blade or the other implements on my S10, No.  I find if I allow the lever to sit between my forefinger and middle I can use the knife quite comfortably.  I do love the wider blades of Wengers.  I also like the Evo scales. 

Good luck.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 04:29:53 PM
The lock Doesn't interfere with my uses so far.

Maybe have a look at the My First Victorinox Plus?

No lock, but no sharp tip either, which will make sure your son won't try to stab something with it, since it's not possible to do so to begin with :D

Maybe both?
One used while supervised, the other with a bit more self control?

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 06:27:34 PM
I dont use the knife you ask about, I do use an S10.  The locking aspect can be a little comfort for a new knife user however stabbing  :ahhh.  I've learned over time why some members are indifferent to locking folders.  I like lock backs myself.  If your son will do as dad then........ 

Ok so the locking release lever.  It can get in the way of putting the knife in the pocket and taking out.  It does sit proud.  As to getting in the way of the blade or the other implements on my S10, No.  I find if I allow the lever to sit between my forefinger and middle I can use the knife quite comfortably.  I do love the wider blades of Wengers.  I also like the Evo scales. 

Good luck.   

Thanks for your input Aloha. I've heard that it does tend to get caught on the pocket. Good to know the lever doesn't get in the way though.

The lock Doesn't interfere with my uses so far.

Maybe have a look at the My First Victorinox Plus?

No lock, but no sharp tip either, which will make sure your son won't try to stab something with it, since it's not possible to do so to begin with :D

Maybe both?
One used while supervised, the other with a bit more self control?

I had looked at the Junior 03, which was has a locking blade but it's also rounded off, but I can't find anyone that carries them. All I can find is the Junior 09, which lacks the scissors and the opener layer and has the back-side Philips driver. Looking at the My First Victorinox Plus, I think that might be an option. You make a good point about the rounded tip. 
Semper Fortis

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 07:50:50 PM
I don't use an S17, but I use this custom SAK that has the locking blade.

Nice custom SAK FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 01:23:06 AM
I like the mechanism myself I've got a Junior 09 and a Wenger Swiss Sportsman), but it can get uncomfortable with extended use, and in a lot of ways, really negates the benefits of the Evolution scales. My just plain Evolution S17 is super-comfortable.  For a knife that size, I find it doesn't need a lock, but that's just me.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 02:04:23 AM
I think the S18 would be a very very nice first knife for a kid

I carried the Wenger Patagonia - S16 for ages - And still do sometimes - One layer thinner missing out the saw
- I love it and use it without any problems whatsoever !!   :salute:    :D

I have seen all these reviews on youtube etc with their negative comments about the locking mechanism and the Evo scales
And for me they are rubbish !!  Sorry folks !!

It's true the locking mechanism obstructs the scissor opening a little - But it's just a case of getting used to it / technique.
If they had put the saw between the blade and scissors on the S18 - That would make it better - But I don't think they did that !!   :pok:
Never had any problems with the lock getting in the way of use - or getting caught in anything.

And for sure on several occasions I was very happy to give my knife to a kid to use - Knowing that the blade was locked
Would not have done that with a normal slippy   
Strange thing for me is that locking blades are illegal in the UK - And that is the safer option for kids   :facepalm:   ... or adults too  ;)

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 01:13:17 PM
The S17 is the modern form of the sak my father gave me as a boy. It's still OK though could do with some new scales. Probably mainly because I was used to it, I never had any issue with the lock mechanism and still do not. It's a great kids sak :)

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 10:29:36 AM
I have a Wenger Master with a locking blade. I like the lock. The mechanism works well and on my knife the button doesn't get in the way of anything, although I can see the lock button catching on other things in your pocket - keyrings, for instance.

The one I use.
(Image removed from quote.)
That's a very nice mod! Good find!  :like: 

Is it a three layer Explorer pattern? Did the builder mate the old grey magnifier with the new, short Phillips?

The Wenger combo tool is an excellent tool, better than than the Vic one in my opinion. It has the push locking flat SD and is a better can opener in my experience. It can turn Phillips screws in a pinch. I'd have one paired with the blade over a complete Wenger opener layer. Unfortunately, only a few models include it and it hasn't been carried over into the Delémont line, as far as I know.
Rambler

us Offline Kraken

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 10:07:30 PM
Thanks to all who responded for their insights and suggestions!  :salute:
You certainly gave me some things to think about and it's one of the things I love about this forum. I thought about getting a Walker and rounding the tip off like the My First Victorinox H, since I was having a hard time finding that model for purchase in my area. But after some careful consideration, I think I will stick with the original plan and get my son the Victorinox Evolution S17 as his first knife. From what everyone's told me, the locking button won't likely interfere with his use of the knife. I like the idea of the locking blade as an added layer of safety when I give him some space to use the knife without me hovering over him. In the meantime, he'll only use it under Dad's supervision and guidance until I'm confident he knows how to handle it safely. I remember when I was a kid, spending the day with my Victorinox camper in my pocket I felt like I could tackle anything I'd come across. I'd love to pass that feeling on to him starting with this knife.
Semper Fortis

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 11:06:43 PM
Good stuff

Did you mention how old he is?  ???
Can you let us know please.?

I gave a Vic Climber to a 11/12 year old friend of mine recently - And she'd  cut her finger within one minute of getting it!!
Closed the blade using the sharp side - I felt really bad as I had not given her a safety briefing / how to chat    :pok:

Her Mum and Dad were fine about it though  :o

us Offline Kraken

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 03:19:33 PM
Good stuff

Did you mention how old he is?  ???
Can you let us know please.?

I gave a Vic Climber to a 11/12 year old friend of mine recently - And she'd  cut her finger within one minute of getting it!!
Closed the blade using the sharp side - I felt really bad as I had not given her a safety briefing / how to chat    :pok:

Her Mum and Dad were fine about it though  :o

@Huntsman, I completely forgot to mention his age. He'll be 7 at the end of next month. I remember getting my first slip-joint knife at 9, with a quick safety run down and left to my own devices. I learned a few valuable knife safety lessons the hard way. I plan on giving a thorough safety briefing before each use of the knife with my son and he'll only be able to use it with me around to supervise.

That's great that your friend's parents were okay with her getting cut. Can't say my wife would react the same way if the same happened to ours though.
Semper Fortis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD