Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your EDC "Comfort Zone"

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Your EDC "Comfort Zone"
on: October 21, 2019, 04:48:32 PM
Just out of curiosity:

What does your EDC line-up look like when it comes to the tool you carry?

What I mean is, which category do you find you most often fit within:

"I carry the exact same knife or combo of knives every day."

"I carry the same knife or knives MOST days."

"I have one knife I ALWAYS carry, but I rotate when it comes to my second knife or tool."

"I rotate my knife/knives every/most days."

Of course it does not have to match one of the categories exactly, I am just curious as to the way our members tend to carry.

For me - My carry habits tend to change quite a bit...for example: I pretty much ALWAYS have my Victorinox Huntsman in my pocket when I leave the house. Some days I will pair it up with a second knife, but sometimes it is the only knife I will have with me. As to my second knife, when I carry one, I sometimes rotate...which can be dependent upon the situation I expect that day (example - going to something more formal or dressy, versus going hiking) but I often find myself going back to a few old reliable knives that I prefer.

For my second knife, I often carry my Arkansas Hunter (most frequent second knife) and now my AG Russell FH-1. I also like my Benchmade Crooked River, GEC 72 or one of my Swisstools. There are also those time when I get on a "kick" to carry a certain knife type and may find that my second knife rotates through my collection of Trappers or Copperheads.

Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Your EDC "Comfort Zone"
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 04:55:39 PM
I pretty much exclusively carry my SAK Mountaineer anywhere I go, sometimes a knife or tool as a tag-along just for fun.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 05:18:20 PM
A great selection there!  :cheers:
Right know it just depends on what my plans are for the day and what I will be doing! Basically, I will always have some on me. A fixie for sure and a pocket knife and one or two on my hip/belt.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 05:20:14 PM
Pretty much the same base: Nitecore Tube + Vic Quattro. Then the Executive or Midnite Manager.

Sometimes just this. Sometimes a small(ish) folder, not so much out of necessity but 'cause I like my tradicional knives.

8) :tu:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:48:21 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 05:42:40 PM
Lately I rotate between 3 SAKs and 1 (bladeless) LM: Mountaineer, Handyman and Swisschamp or Woodman (Wingman with saw instead of blade).

us Offline Sos24

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 07:33:04 PM
I almost always have my Shirogorov Neon and my SAK Yeoman in my pocket.

If I’m going more rural, then the Yeoman may get swapped for the Yeoman WS

If I’m carrying a multitool, I will usually add a traditional knife, like Stockman or Sodbuster Jr, just so I have an easy access user blade.

If I’m going someplace with stricter knife laws or where knives aren’t really accepted then I will replace the Neon with a traditional knife.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 01:03:51 AM
This Is a pretty good representation of my daily carry; some flavor of 3-4” one hand deployable locking folder and a small multitool- usually a Gerber Dime
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 01:23:44 AM
For many years it was wave when at work and cs4 for when not at work with a PS4 and aaa torch on my keys.

Now I am not working at the moment so my wave sits redundant on the shelf.
And having recently taken to carrying small bag when out so now keep a knifeless rebar in that, meaning I can get away with only carrying a small slipjoint (my fallkniven u1) in my pocket.

I am not one for rotating tools.

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 01:32:30 AM
I for one don't have any fixed pattern as yet. This trip around it was my modded Huntsman, due to slight concerns cruise line security might confiscate it (contrary to published rules, but it had happened). I'm happy to report it's still with me. Let's see what I'll select for a carry when we're back home, and for how long.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 03:06:39 AM
I almost always have my Shirogorov Neon and my SAK Yeoman in my pocket.
(Image removed from quote.)

If I’m going more rural, then the Yeoman may get swapped for the Yeoman WS

If I’m carrying a multitool, I will usually add a traditional knife, like Stockman or Sodbuster Jr, just so I have an easy access user blade.

If I’m going someplace with stricter knife laws or where knives aren’t really accepted then I will replace the Neon with a traditional knife.
Very nice selection!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 03:07:22 AM
This Is a pretty good representation of my daily carry; some flavor of 3-4” one hand deployable locking folder and a small multitool- usually a Gerber Dime
Nice

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 03:09:01 AM
For many years it was wave when at work and cs4 for when not at work with a PS4 and aaa torch on my keys.

Now I am not working at the moment so my wave sits redundant on the shelf.
And having recently taken to carrying small bag when out so now keep a knifeless rebar in that, meaning I can get away with only carrying a small slipjoint (my fallkniven u1) in my pocket.

I am not one for rotating tools.
I’m retired, so I retired my Leatherman and the Gerber. Well, the Gerber is in my bike pack so semi-retired!  :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 04:02:08 AM
Not always the exact same knives, but certain patterns tend to be followed.  I always have a Climber or close relative (e.g. Mountaineer, Huntsman, Pioneer X), and usually a larger locking folder (Benchmade Crooked River has been getting the nod a lot lately, but I have a Spyderco SS Police that I often carry in this role, as well as a SOG Vulcan and some other options).

In the woods, the SAK stays but the locking folder gets traded for a FB (current favorite is a Fallkniven A1, but others include ESEE-4, Bark River Bravo 1, and Mora Garberg).

ca Offline Walley

Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 04:29:49 AM
i carry the same thing every work day, and switch it up on weekends depending on what im doing.
my weekday edc is:
Surge, spacepen, flashlight and my key ring.
edc.jpg
* edc.jpg (Filesize: 118.3 KB)

us Offline Sos24

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 04:42:13 AM

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 04:59:03 AM
i carry the same thing every work day, and switch it up on weekends depending on what im doing.
my weekday edc is:
Surge, spacepen, flashlight and my key ring.
Nice  :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 05:44:16 AM
A Leatherman and usually one or two Traditional knives.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 06:51:29 AM
Pretty much exactly the same all day everyday. Suit carry is different ditto outdoors activities but otherwise it's the same SAK, same key chain SAK and same LM in the bag.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 07:16:40 AM
Work carry is stable yet I'll add things for fun or need, sometimes both. 

Off day carry is Squirt P4 or PS4 which I am trying to find the perfect mate for.  Explorer plus, Ranger, Salesman, Cadet 2, Wenger Pocket Tool Chest or whatever the next new to me SAK is. 

I will carry a folder from time to time and I am really liking my MiniGrip in 440C.  This little knife is wonderful however I am still incredibly fond of my Dragonfly.  I have been most impressed with these two so they get pocketed whenever for whatever. 

Lights are usually AAA since the Squirt, SAK, and Light will go into my Skinth.  I like my Ti Thrunite.  I do like to carry a bigger output light as well so my Zebralight has been one that continues to impress me. 

This is my go to when I leave the house.  Its all a work in progress tho.
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 08:01:37 AM
A lot of good pix and selections!  This practically is a new pocket dump thread. :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 01:47:06 PM
Here's my EDC for the last couple of days. Took out the Quattro, the Executive can do pretty much the same tasks.

The folder was once sold by Victorinox and a part of their catalogs. I believe it's made by Puma. There's awlso a clip point version, branded West. It comes in three sizes. This is the smallest.

:salute:
EDC Buffalo 1.jpg
* EDC Buffalo 1.jpg (Filesize: 275.19 KB)
EDC Buffalo 2.jpg
* EDC Buffalo 2.jpg (Filesize: 262.61 KB)
EDC Buffalo 3.jpg
* EDC Buffalo 3.jpg (Filesize: 237.02 KB)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 02:39:42 PM
Very nice carry set up!  :like: :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 02:40:45 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 02:46:21 PM
I gotta say though, regardless of the items I carried, I think I would feel completely out of sorts without a SAK in my lineup. I also really like having a good, easy to carry, flashlight on me. That is one of those items that is sorely missed when you need it and it is not there.

I have been on a big flashlight buying spree lately and I have bought some really nice aaa and rechargeable keychain flashlights. It is amazing to me. I remember a time when a D cell flashlight would not put out the amount of light I am getting from my Olight I1R, nor do I think it would last as long as (at least when the I1R is on low). EDC options are definitely nice these days.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline getahl

Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 09:03:49 PM
My EDC base has become more or less fixed in the last six months, and consists of phone, wallet with a Craftsman 4 way driver, keys with a beat up Classic, and a bandana. At work, add a couple pens, a notebook, my badge with a Nitecore tube attached. I don't have a home carry, and grab whatever I need when it's needed. Anything larger at work is frowned upon, and isn't needed anyway. I have a box cutter in my desk and a paring knife in my lunchbox for anything requiring a bigger blade than the one on my Classic.

I haven't fixated on EDC, knives or MTs in a while. I still occasionally browse here and BF, but haven't felt the need to buy anything new in months. Priorities change, I guess. All I took on the 2200 miles road trip last month was my Classic and a LM Kick. Just used the Classic. Disneyland two weeks ago? Folding scissors. My needs these days are apparently minimal. .

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 01:10:32 PM
I awlways carry my phone, wallet, watch, paper tissues, pen and notepad. I just don't consider those as EDC...

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cody6268

Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 11:35:41 PM
I gotta say though, regardless of the items I carried, I think I would feel completely out of sorts without a SAK in my lineup. I also really like having a good, easy to carry, flashlight on me. That is one of those items that is sorely missed when you need it and it is not there.

I have been on a big flashlight buying spree lately and I have bought some really nice aaa and rechargeable keychain flashlights. It is amazing to me. I remember a time when a D cell flashlight would not put out the amount of light I am getting from my Olight I1R, nor do I think it would last as long as (at least when the I1R is on low). EDC options are definitely nice these days.

Flashlight tech has definitely come a long way. Yesterday, my LED Lenser PX6 was on the fritz, I'd misplaced my Streamlight Sidewinder, both Olight i3EOS,  and my Mini Maglite was assigned to a bag; and the I1R I have was dead. Got stuck using my Fulton angle head USGI light. Weighs over a pound (if not two!) with the D batteries in, and barely puts out much more than candlelight. While to switch between white, red, blue, and the useless IR; the Sidewinder (which the Army replaced the mediocre Fulton with)  has a rotary switch; with the Fulton, I've got to unscrew the bezel, unscrew the tail cap, change lenses manually, put it back--that's a pain.  I'm ordering an LED bulb, but leaving the D-Cells. The Fulton is a good novelty light, but is NOT a good user at all.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 12:37:24 AM
Historically, my carry varied according to location and activity. There's less variation at present, but still not quite static. There's a few tools I pick up more than others, but i'm still prone to change on a whim.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 12:44:14 AM
I like variety. Some days I carry a multi. Some days just a SAK. One thing that I use multiple times a day is a flashlight, so that’s a must. I enjoy traditional knives and OH knives. Truth is there are only a few days a year that I don’t have the right tool to do the job, but the real tools are a short walk away.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 12:48:47 AM
Here’s a pic of what I consider my most carried stuff. Cause I can.  :D None of it is super expensive, but I’ve found you don’t need to spend a fortune to get the job done.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%