Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone know about antique wrissmurfches, circa early 1900s?

us Offline JasonJ

I picked up this old watch a few months ago... in my research, it matches a lot of early "trench" style watches of the 1910s-1920s... but I can't pinpoint an exact maker or year, only an approx date of 1917, which is a date faintly scrawled into the back case cover.  This could have been a date of servicing for the watch, which would put it's age as old or slightly older (I don't think by much).

The movement matches closely but not exactly a few others that are known, but again, nothing concrete and no makers marks that I can see. Has perhaps 7 jewels... maybe more, but hard to see without some disassembly.

The luminescent paint appears to all be worn off of the numbers, or perhaps removed, being radioactive.... but some of the cathedral hands inlay remains.  Case measures about 38-40mm wide.  about 12mm wide soldered wire band loops.  Crown shaft is a wee bit wobbly, but it winds and goes.  Keeps close time, but could use an adjustment.  Band appears old, but perhaps not original. 

Does anyone know what this could be?

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Anyone know about antique wrissmurfches, circa early 1900s?
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 07:31:45 PM
There is a way of finding the maker of the movement, but you’d need to find a watchmaker with the bestfit books.

I think you’re about right on the date as the service watches at the beginning of WWI were pocket watches.

Early wrist watches were ladies pocket watches with the hoops soldered on to take the strap.

Don’t touch the lume! It radium based.

A good find nonetheless :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 07:13:21 PM
There is a way of finding the maker of the movement, but you’d need to find a watchmaker with the bestfit books.

I think you’re about right on the date as the service watches at the beginning of WWI were pocket watches.

Early wrist watches were ladies pocket watches with the hoops soldered on to take the strap.

Thanks for the reply!  I had pondered if it was originally a ladies watch.. it's possible, but men's watches were also made in this size, and a lades watch of the era was not likely to have the radium luminescent numbers or hands- but possible.  Either which way, I have smaller wrists, so it seems sized OK for me.  I think if I put a different band on it that was a smidge wider, it'd look more "normal" on my wrist.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 07:39:35 AM

I was told that the wrist watch developed as a result of WW1 and the need to be able to see a watch without taking hands off a rifle, not sure if this is an urban myth, but the timing seems right.  Is this something you've heard too?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:46:26 PM
Thanks Chako, very interesting  :salute:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 08:37:51 PM
Looks like a WW1 trench watch. At that point in watch history when pocket watches were moving to the wrist, so carried many of the pocket watch characteristics across, and some pocket watches were even modified for wearing on the wrist. Sorry, can’t help with the maker. But a neat timepiece.  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 04:14:04 PM
Definitely a pocket watch made into a wrist watch. Very nice one  :like:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 04:53:16 AM
Definitely a pocket watch made into a wrist watch. Very nice one  :like:
If it were a converted pocket watch wouldn't the crown be located at the 12 o'clock position rather than the more conventional 3 o'clock position of a wrissmurfch?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 05:10:27 AM
If it were a converted pocket watch wouldn't the crown be located at the 12 o'clock position rather than the more conventional 3 o'clock position of a wrissmurfch?

Not if it was based on a Hunter style

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 07:21:28 AM
Good point;I had forgotten about those!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44