Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Alone"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: "Alone"
Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 11:04:51 PM
Being able to take off for an extended amount of time is awesome.  It seems many have gotten away from inwardness.  We are all so busy with "stuff" its no wonder the noise between their ears when there is silence.  Its interesting who is able to disconnect while out there.  By disconnect I mean from their world prior to the show. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 11:15:19 PM
That is why I do my long motorcycle treks around the country. I just seem to get in the zone where it is just me and the sound of the wind whistling by. Then stopping at a camping spot for the night and listening to the crickets and staring at the stars. It is like getting that first fresh breath of air.

On another note...something I was thinking about. A lot of people on the show run their own survival schools. Seems that is a big chance to take. I mean, great if you show you can do it, but imagine that you are teaching people to survive that saw you starve for a week then tap out...lol.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 12:07:56 AM
Yeah, I wondered about that.  Probably why many don't do the show.  I'd love to see the "celeb" survival people do the show. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

Reply #33 on: November 12, 2019, 12:16:30 AM
Yeah, I wondered about that.  Probably why many don't do the show.  I'd love to see the "celeb" survival people do the show.

I have seen Les Stroud have to go find his safety team before. Bear Grylls...ummm...I was disappointed when it was leaked that he was "cheating."

Although...the Bear Grylls episode where he took Will Ferrell along was hilarious.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 12, 2019, 12:20:35 AM
I have seen Les Stroud have to go find his safety team before. Bear Grylls...ummm...I was disappointed when it was leaked that he was "cheating."

Although...the Bear Grylls episode where he took Will Ferrell along was hilarious.
Yeah, loved it when he ate the "emergency" candybar after 5 minutes :rofl:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 12, 2019, 04:26:53 AM
Interesting question.  I've actually thought about this sort of thing many times over the years - most often when I'm packing for an outdoor trip.  Sometimes when I'm conducting my own thought experiment while watching these outdoor reality shows.

I think it was Les Stroud that had a few episodes where he used a Vic Soldier? Or was it Bear Grylls ...?
A few mountaineers have carried SAKs - you can see several in documentaries.  and Ueli Steck designed one. 

But I suppose that's not the same as bushcrafters and survivalists...  where mountaineers are mainly fixing their own equipment, and preparing meals, instead of building things.

My thought is - do I really need a plier based MT in a survival situation like Alone?   Is that because I don't know how to make a wire snare or other things that necessitate pliers... or because I'm sticking to my anti-plier stance for no reason?

Because I'm inclined to rely on the wisdom of others, my choices are (not counting a fixed blade - Mora Companion)

1. Victoxinox Huntsman (there are plenty of "tips and tricks" to get extra uses out of the tools)
2. Victorinox Trekker (bigger blade, but similar to #1)
3. Leatherman Wave (because of peer pressure)

I don't know that this is my final answer though...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: November 12, 2019, 05:12:40 AM
A plier based tool is much more than pliers.  We've seen how it could have helped one contestant and with the trash found who know what else it can be used for  :dunno:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

Reply #37 on: November 12, 2019, 05:19:57 AM
If you bring wire along for snares, I can see the MT being a big hit. I have used MT pliers for dropping hot rocks into water to boil it and for pulling the lid off my dutch oven when it is sitting on the coals. I usually carve a stick for the lid and bail pretty quick though.

Going back and watching past seasons, I have been analyzing people's actions, not to criticize, but to learn from their success and failure. One trend that I keep noticing is that they spend too much time on "projects" that show their bushcraft skills instead of focusing on gathering and preserving food. Most of the time it seems that food is relatively easy to come buy, but with the weather change, it drops off. A lot of the participants spend minimal time catching enough fish for a couple of days food then go on to work on some project they have in mind.

My advice in this situation (from what I have learned watching) is to make projects super simple, and then get to work smoking the heck out of meat, collecting and drying flora and storing up for leaner times. Native tribes were frequently preparing pemmican for just such eventualities.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #38 on: November 12, 2019, 05:22:55 AM
A plier based tool is much more than pliers.  We've seen how it could have helped one contestant and with the trash found who know what else it can be used for  :dunno:.

Definitely on Vancouver Island where the sea was washing up a lot of stuff. I saw in one episode in season 4 where a contestant walked by a huge collection of floats from fishing boat nets.

Have you ever seen the videos of people making ulu knives from food cans? I would be one hoarding dude for sure.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2019, 05:25:08 AM
Could be some want to showcase their bushcraft skills.  Maybe some think they can outlast simply by seeing previous episodes of folks tapping within a week or so.  Many take the rations they are allowed so early on they might be focusing on that instead.  Its very interesting to see how each decides to spend their time. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 05:32:21 AM
Could be some want to showcase their bushcraft skills.  Maybe some think they can outlast simply by seeing previous episodes of folks tapping within a week or so.  Many take the rations they are allowed so early on they might be focusing on that instead.  Its very interesting to see how each decides to spend their time.

They know it makes good TV...plus many of them are wilderness instructors so it is a bit of free advertising.

I am just trying to learn from others. We often speculate on our skills, but until getting out there, it is hard to know what it is like. A friend of mine is wanting to learn some bushcraft and survival skills and I told him that the best way to learn is to develop a skill, then make it as difficult as possible to perform that skill. Today it has been raining and sleeting and it is about 12f degrees. I called him and said, "This is a perfect time to go learn to make a fire without matches or a lighter." He turned me down.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 03:05:55 PM
I'm like that too, learning from others.  This show is a great "test" for all who want to showcase their skills, get away, renew their love of the outdoors, change their lives, etc etc.  I am interested in the mental and emotional aspect as much as I am the survival.  The "rat race" can be exhausting for many, as can the simple life for others.  I appreciate those who take on this challenge.  One fella has made a nice living after the show.  I didn't know who he was prior too the show but I guess he had a channel.  I'm sure its gotten bigger after.  I could very well be wrong but I'm guessing he does fairly well from it now.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 09:42:46 PM
I met season 2 winner David McIntre at Cabela’s in Wyoming, MI a few years ago.  I was shopping for a Mora Companion knife and selected the HD model.  He had apparently just finished a call with his daughter, was in the aisle and asked what I was planning to use the HD Companion for.

When he spoke I realized who he was, congratulated him on his season, and spoke for about 20 minutes like friends catching up. He is a nice guy and was doing speaking engagements around the country, shared a bit about the current season at that time, which was the team season.  Waked with me out of the store, through check out, toward my work truck.   Told me that he had friends in my home town and visited frequently. 

About 18 months later we bumped into each other at my neighborhood grocery and pointed out directions to the the chip aisle and he asked how the Mora was working for me.  Then introduced to Mrs LC as she thought she knew all my good friends.  Later I had to review with her that the Alone show was the show she watched but did not see the point of it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline spudley112

Reply #43 on: November 12, 2019, 10:03:42 PM
That is awesome! I have sent a couple of friend requests to a few of the people from the show. I love learning from the show, but of course they edit content to get the most dramatic stuff. I bet the experiences where everything works really well is left on the cutting room floor for the most part. I figure these folks have some great advice.

Funny thing - Watching season 3, I was kind of annoyed with Callie's hippy crap and attention ho stuff (stripping down on camera etc) but I looked at her campsite and thought that she would be a pretty good companion in a survival situation. If you had one person concentrating on getting food, and let her focus on the camp, it would be pretty darn comfortable! She is very creative.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 12:13:21 AM
Finished season 1. sure looked like the winner could have gone a few more weeks without an issue.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #45 on: November 13, 2019, 02:16:36 AM
He cracked me up. He was always doing goofy stuff. I liked the one where he is staring at the camera for a minute like he is totally defeated, then is like, "Just kidding."

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #46 on: November 13, 2019, 05:14:09 AM
Yepp, he was a good one  :rofl:

Now starting Season 2  :popcorn:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #47 on: November 13, 2019, 05:30:37 AM
Yepp, he was a good one  :rofl:

Now starting Season 2  :popcorn:

Tell me as soon as you see the first tap out.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #48 on: November 13, 2019, 06:24:55 AM
Did already. That was...quick  ;)

us Offline LoopCutter

"Alone"
Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 07:36:59 PM
IIRC, he did not like the idea he could be bear scat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:27:02 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 09:16:34 PM
Cannot blame him for that. Just watching the introductions, we had already the feeling he would not last long though. Not sure why  :dunno:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #51 on: November 13, 2019, 11:17:36 PM
What made it so embarrassing for him was all the smack he was talking about "If a bear fights me, you better call for help for the bear!" Then he gets there, sees bear poop, and falls apart, and taps out. I love the scene where he is on the shore cutting wood (it looked like he was cutting 4 inch sections for some weird reason) and looking all scared as he stared into the forest! hahahahaha! If you watched closely, he even broke his Silky saw. D'oh!!!

Look, I will be honest, if I had talked that smack then ran away scared in 5 hours, I would just have them drop me off in another town to live out my days. Going back to face everyone after they saw that episode...I'd have to get plastic surgery to change my appearance.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #52 on: November 14, 2019, 05:29:03 AM
I am not a survival expert, but there is one thing watching this show that i find weird. That one guy was setting up one trap, and after it was tripped but didn‘t catch anything he was like „well that did not work, need to try something else“.

Wouldn‘t you setup multiple traps? Just to increase odds to catch something? Most of these people have a gill net, but only a few seem to use it. And if they use it, they do not built any traps on land. Am i missing something here?  :dunno:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #53 on: November 14, 2019, 06:36:04 AM
I wonder that too. Not sure if all that ends up on the editing room floor. Some of the traps are very ineffectual.

I am also astounded that they have animals stomping around camp all the time, and they are in the woods 24/7 yet hunting never seems to work for them.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #54 on: November 14, 2019, 07:37:12 AM
Yep, thought the same with later seasons.
Trapping is like "set 5, catch none, set 10, catch one".
unless you are a real expert this is true imho.
Some of them spend calories for nothing, dont set up traps or lines ornets that work on their own.
If I was in a situation there would be all of my hooks in the water as soon as my shelter is ready. little effort, max chances.

OT: i know, easy talking from my warm chair, but this knowledge should be common at survivalists.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #55 on: November 16, 2019, 04:56:02 AM
I sent friend requests to a couple of contestants. If accepted, I am going to ask what was edited out. I somehow think they probably leave a lot of successes out because they need drama and tension.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #56 on: November 16, 2019, 05:34:42 AM
That makes sense. Would be interesting to get an unfiltered view of events  :popcorn:

Just saw season 2 E2 and E3. I saw coming what happened. It is so easy to slip, always be aware where your hands are!  :ahhh

us Offline spudley112

Reply #57 on: November 16, 2019, 06:28:44 AM
That makes sense. Would be interesting to get an unfiltered view of events  :popcorn:

Just saw season 2 E2 and E3. I saw coming what happened. It is so easy to slip, always be aware where your hands are!  :ahhh

Yeah, I gotta say, when you are starving, cold, tired, frustrated and in a cold, wet and slippery environment, safety with sharp things has to be at the top of your list.

Speaking of safety, I am sure they tell them to ALWAYS keep their panic button on them at all times. I can just see a situation where someone leaves it at camp and slips on a rock near they water, breaks a leg, and cannot get back to the camp to call for help.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #58 on: November 25, 2019, 01:46:38 AM
Found a website where they have a list of the 10 items each participant had with them:

https://morethanjustsurviving.com/alone-season-1-survival-gear/

Was interested in some of their knives, so will see what they carried.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #59 on: November 25, 2019, 06:21:31 AM
Reading the comments on that site cracks me up. People got everything figured out...lol. What's that saying about everyone having a plan?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%