Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What discontinued SAK to recreate?

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
What discontinued SAK to recreate?
on: November 11, 2019, 06:17:19 PM
I’m looking for ideas on which discontinued SAKs to recreate via the mod route.

Yeoman seems popular, but what else? Quite a few of the back Phillips models are gone, maybe Master Craftsman?

I’m limited to 91mm and current models for donor tools. But open to ideas about what to consider.  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: What discontinued SAK to recreate?
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 07:06:39 PM
Woodsman is a pretty cool one - first mod I ever did.

It's quite a popular model and was last available as a Mexican Ltd edition for Fathers day a few years back.

N.B the in-line awl was a later addition - the Woodsman has a small blade in its place.  :D
Greenwood Loupe.jpg
* Greenwood Loupe.jpg (Filesize: 286.43 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 07:17:54 PM
You’re going to need to help me out with that one magentus, I thought the Woodsman was an early Huntsman?  :think:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 07:24:35 PM
I’m looking for ideas on which discontinued SAKs to recreate via the mod route.

Yeoman seems popular, but what else? Quite a few of the back Phillips models are gone, maybe Master Craftsman?

I’m limited to 91mm and current models for donor tools. But open to ideas about what to consider.  :dunno:

I'd have to say Yeoman and Woodsman as well. I've been tossing around the same idea but haven't seriously pursued it yet.

Woodsman is a pretty cool one - first mod I ever did.

It's quite a popular model and was last available as a Mexican Ltd edition for Fathers day a few years back.

N.B the in-line awl was a later addition - the Woodsman has a small blade in its place.  :D

Magentus that is beautiful. Those emerald scales are really something!  :drool:
Semper Fortis

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:27:34 PM
Ta!  :cheers:

One incarnation of the Woodsman is an Explorer with wood saw  :tu: quite a nice tool set.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 07:47:32 PM
...mmm, yes I see that’s a good option. I’ve built a couple Yeomans with wood saws, but Explorer with saw would also be cool.  :salute:

Other ideas still welcome...

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 08:03:07 PM
I have been thinking a lot of the passenger. That's a grail SAK of mine and could do one my self but it would not be the same thing.. But if the urge gets to big I will make one.. So I guess that's my vote

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 09:08:43 PM
Passenger could be the one you make, i alleeady own one real passenger so i could maybe do woodsman

Only Tools Matters

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 09:30:05 PM
Not really recreating, but how about a bladeless SAK? Plenty of times i wish it would exist.

Woodsaw, Metal File, Scissors, Combo Tool and Inline Phillips. Back maybe with CS, Awl and Hook.

I would love to have something like that, as i am forced to carry a bladeless wingman instead  :ahhh

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 09:53:52 PM
What about the Mechanic? Always liked that tool set.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 10:19:31 PM
Passenger is very tempting! Trick would be to find an old Explorer with the grey mag and longer Phillips to make it semi-authentic.  :salute:

Sir Vic - bladeless is a cool idea. Off topic, but I have some ideas on this too.  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 10:22:16 PM
What about the Mechanic? Always liked that tool set.
Rich
I’ve got a spare plier layer left over from a build, so that’s a no brainer for sure.  :cheers:

So one build definitely confirmed.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 11:44:41 PM
Pliers sound like my kind of knife...

Troubleshooter
Mechanic or Jr.
bladeless with pliers...

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 12:28:10 AM
Scientist!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 12:57:12 AM
Trail Guide

As far as bladeless - how about a Yeoman with a file in place of blade.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 01:10:16 AM
...mmm, yes I see that’s a good option. I’ve built a couple Yeomans with wood saws, but Explorer with saw would also be cool.  :salute:

Other ideas still welcome...

This only would hit the nail on the head. Another would be an 84mm salesman with a saw. Not as easy to do these days.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 01:11:41 AM
This one would hit the nail on the head. Another would be an 84mm salesman with a saw. Not as easy to do these days.

Edit: stupid autocorrect.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 01:59:53 AM
The Yeoman and another Woodsman...these two. I have two SwissChamps that are going to be put up for the mods!  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 03:46:27 AM
Passenger is very tempting! Trick would be to find an old Explorer with the grey mag and longer Phillips to make it semi-authentic.  :salute:

Sir Vic - bladeless is a cool idea. Off topic, but I have some ideas on this too.  :cheers:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I would donate some of my SAKs for a bladeless prototype  :pok:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 07:55:18 AM
A bladeless SAK is not a bad thing either. I made one some time ago and have used it plenty of times. Mostly when going out for a beer or two when blades are a big no but I still alwant a tool or two

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 09:05:22 AM
Trailguide, Yeoman, Clipper, Scientist, Passenger, any of the discontinued 2/3 layers would be great  :woohoo:

As for "bladeless"... i wouldn't go that far (for me), cause i feel a "pocket knife" with out any blade kind of defeats the purpose i guess...  :think:

However i would say a model with only the small blade and another implement instead of the big blade, most of the times it's what i use for blade use anyway....
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Sos24

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 09:59:33 AM
Trailguide, Yeoman, Clipper, Scientist, Passenger, any of the discontinued 2/3 layers would be great  :woohoo:

As for "bladeless"... i wouldn't go that far (for me), cause i feel a "pocket knife" with out any blade kind of defeats the purpose i guess...  :think:

However i would say a model with only the small blade and another implement instead of the big blade, most of the times it's what i use for blade use anyway....

I think the bladeless is a good option for people who frequent places that do not allow knives; like airports, schools, courthouses, certain entertainment venues, certain employers, etc.  You can pair it with a folding knife so you have a blade.  Then when you go where knives are not allowed, you just leave the knife and not all the other tools.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 01:07:47 PM
Are we allowed made up models ?  ???

If so Woodsman plus metal file or Champion minus fish scaler if you prefer
Would be a fab mod - I'm gonna try it sometime.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 01:37:10 PM
Some great ideas everyone.  :hatsoff:

I guess I’m coming from a slightly different angle. Discontinued SAKs are less common my way (Africa), so there’s some novelty recreating a SAK not easily available.

Knife laws are fairly lax here too, so outside airports, SAKs are rarely frowned upon. That said, it would be fun to build a bladeless one, so it’s not off my list (Sir Vic, will share some ideas with you).

The ‘plus’ or ‘minus’ option is good too. Have built a few Yeoman+ designs and a SC- recently. I’ve seen a couple Champions on offer locally, and minus the scaler would be nice!

But back to topic, I agree with MacGyver that the 2/3 layered discontinued SAKs are good options. But I am also looking at some of the 5/6 layered back Phillips SAKs that are no longer with us.

Thanks again for everyones’ suggestions. It’s great to see how popular discontinued and modded SAKs are on this forum!

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 02:41:20 PM
Engineer
Oath of Rutli
Grand Prix
Deluxe Climber
Motorist
SwissFlame :)

- FiL

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 03:37:26 PM
I think the bladeless is a good option for people who frequent places that do not allow knives; like airports, schools, courthouses, certain entertainment venues, certain employers, etc.  You can pair it with a folding knife so you have a blade.  Then when you go where knives are not allowed, you just leave the knife and not all the other tools.

:iagree: I frequent such a place quite often, and a blade is a big NO. Which is my I removed the blade from my wingman, so I don‘t feel naked without any tool on me.
Maybe we can start a new thread discussing bladeless SAK options  :cheers:

I would also like a Handyman where the opener layer is replaced with mag glass and inline phillips. Would need some kind of light prybar then though  :think:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 04:08:05 PM
I think there is an old discussion of bladeless SAK somewhere in the mod section

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 05:14:40 PM
Vagabond, the reasonable Minichamp!
An alox Vagabond and alox Rumbler would be nice.
Deluxe Climber. Oh, and using the serrated main blade of the weekender on other models.

Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI VNS-L31 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 05:20:45 PM
I think there is an old discussion of bladeless SAK somewhere in the mod section

Options are growing! I need to do some research on some of the names.  :facepalm: I can then build a list and put some order of preference.

On the bladeless option, there are lots of short threads in the mod section. So I think, Sir Vic, I’ll take your suggestion and start a new thread. Not trying to create a TSA safe SAK, but one that gives good EDC functionality in blade-free zones.  :salute:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 06:05:48 PM
Sounds good  :tu: I think a TSA safe SAK is not possible. For them even the awl or file could be considered a stabbing weapon  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%