Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Max # layers

tonyg · 33 · 1043

Offline tonyg

Max # layers
on: November 13, 2019, 09:55:18 PM
Does anyone find that 91mm SAKS over four layers are cumbersome to use, or do you get used to them.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: Max # layers
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 10:02:00 PM
I carried my swisschamp every day for a while. I do prefer tools that are 4-5 layers or smaller if I know what tools I will need that day, but it is only a minor inconvenience to use them on the swisschamp. I think that the versatility makes up for the size in some situations. You get used to it after a while.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 10:02:35 PM
That said, i mostly carry 3-4 layer tools nowadays because I feel like I can predict what I will need.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:03:24 PM
No, I don't think they are cumbersome to use at at all, one can get used to their width/bulk quickly, now carrying them is a different question... For me, anything over 3 layers is too much for pocket carry, and as I'm not a sheath person, multi layer SAK's only go to my bags. YMMV of course.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:04:18 PM
I have a somewhat unreasonable reason for not going with more than 4 layers, without intentionally reaching for the SwissChamp or Champion.  Once the width of the layers exceeds the depth of the SAK along the short axis of the scale, I'm choosing the SAK for a specific tool rather than an EDC. 

us Offline Frailer

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 11:52:44 PM
No, I don't think they are cumbersome to use at at all, one can get used to their width/bulk quickly, now carrying them is a different question... For me, anything over 3 layers is too much for pocket carry, and as I'm not a sheath person, multi layer SAK's only go to my bags. YMMV of course.

I agree completely. The issue with larger knives isn’t using them; the issue is *carrying* them—at least in my pocket.

Whenever possible I like to restrict myself to one- or two-layer knives.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:57:41 AM
Once you get used to a certain thickness, even one layer more or less can make a knife feel really off, until you get used to it (which you will, if you keep carrying and using it).

That said, none of my regular carry SAKs have more than 4 layers, but that is because (1) YMMV, but for me, the marginal utility of additional tools seems to drop off pretty quickly past 3-4 layers, and (2) like some of the previous posters, I find much more than that cumbersome to carry around.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 01:01:10 AM
Depending on what I am going to be doing for the day, dictate’s the SAK I am carrying so layers really don’t matter  to me.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 01:25:43 AM
I carried a Champion since I was a kid, so I don't think 4 is too much. I do think a SwissChamp is a bit awkwardly large if you need to turn a lot of screws. I've never thought the Champion or CT34 and knives of that size are cumbersome to use in any way.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 03:52:15 AM
I find 3-4 layers the sweet spot for me in both use and carry.  I could use or carry larger ones, but just really prefer and like the 3-4 layer.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 09:58:05 AM
For EDC, and for my actual daily (eventual) needs, a 2 or 3 layer Sak is more than enough, for several reasons:

1- a Climber or a Compact, the ones i've been using 95% of the time for quite a while, have all the tools i might need for a working day EDC
2- over 4 layers just get's too bulky and impractical to carry or use.
Foe example,I much rather carry a Camper if i go on a hike or to a rural environment, than a Huntsman or Ranger for example. Not that much need for scissors in that environment, two blades can do 95% of the job so why carry an extra layer for it...?
3- i just hate carrying a load of stuff on me, both in quantity and in weight,  i'd rather carry a simple 2/3 layer SAK with some basic tools on it and use some ingenuity and creativity to use those tools work for what i need (if no dedicated tools available)  than carry enough stuff to "fix a space shuttle" every day....  :facepalm:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 12:22:50 PM
I have carried a SwissChamp since they first came out and I am comfortable with it.

I will say that a Ranger is probably the most comfortable while still offering a very nice tool set.

Anything bigger than a SwissChamp is uncomfortable for me.

gb Offline EMarkM

Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 02:08:15 PM
Depending on what I am going to be doing for the day, dictate’s the SAK I am carrying so layers really don’t matter  to me.

This here also

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 03:04:10 PM
I also always thought that the SwissChamp would be too bulky to carry, but I was wrong. It might be too big to carry in your pockets, but it works great with an elastic belt sheath. Also no issues using it. It can get harder to use it in tight spots though.

I would not go larger than the Champ though  :cheers:

us Online cody6268

Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 11:28:15 PM
While being over my typical five-layer limit (most of the time, I find a Huntsman gets it done), the Ranger/Master Craftsman isn't too big, because the file is rather thin. But a SwissChamp is overkill. Honestly, I don't like thicker models mostly becuase of how the blade is situated. Makes it really awkward to use.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 12:32:55 AM
Once I get to 4 layers, it’s slimmer to pocket carry the SAK with the nail nicks against my leg and backtools facing out, then with one scale against my leg and the other facing out. Once this compromise is made, not much difference in carry between 4 5 and 6 layers. But this is too much of a compromise for me, so I don’t have many pocket hours to back up this opinion.

Offline tonyg

Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 04:17:15 PM
Thanks for all your responses.  After giving it some thought, I tend to agree with those who prefer a three or four layer max.  My most often carried and used are my super tinker, huntsman, and field master.  I’m pretty sure a deluxe tinker is in my near future. 🤔

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 04:37:37 PM
Have you tried some of the 5 layer knives?  I think a Deluxe Tinker is a good knife, but I always feel like I'm missing a saw. Holding that or a 5 layer Troubleshooter doesn't seem all that different to me.  Ditto for the Huntsman vs Ranger.  I'd rather have the thin added layer which has the files and chisel layer.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 07:02:16 PM
This here also

Love that avatar!  :like:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline EMarkM

Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 07:37:32 PM
Love that avatar!  :like:
Thanks! I’ve been wondering if anyone would recognise it...

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 08:14:13 PM
I definitely prefer to carry a relatively thin knife in my main pocket for comfort. At work it's a Trailmaster; off duty, usually a Sportsman or less commonly these days, an alox Soldier. If I'm going out into the country I'm likely to carry a Camper.

Honestly, I don't like thicker models mostly becuase of how the blade is situated. Makes it really awkward to use.

The thickest models I've used regularly are the Handyman and Swisschamp, and I too find the that the blade and opener layers inconvenient to use. I see such models as multitools primarily, with said layers almost bonus features. I prefer to carry another knife for the blade and openers. Ideally I'd like a SC separated into a multitool and Spartan.
Rambler

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 08:26:47 PM
I think it really is a habitual thing.  Think about those titanium bug handled 3-4 in knives or any plier based LM MT, they usually weight as much as a Swisschamp, if not more.  If you are used to or don't mind carrying those, then carrying more than 4-5 layers should not be a problem at all.

Btw, If anyone is curious about the experience carrying a Swisschamp or the likes, please do come join us at the STACK challenge in 2020, it will be fun to do it together:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82928.0.html

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 10:21:06 PM
I frequently carry a XLT which has 11 layers. It rides in my backpack or in the coin pocket of my trousers. Got used to its weight.

Something smaller is too less - there's always something I would miss. Use regularly the blade, opener, fish scaler, scissors, the saws and the bit driver.

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 10:29:11 PM
If you're worried about bulk, the number of layers is only part of the story, as all layers are not created equal.  The CyberTool M and the Ranger are both 5 layers, but the CyberTool is 6mm wider than the Ranger.

- FiL

gb Offline EMarkM

Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 08:55:35 AM
I frequently carry a XLT which has 11 layers...Use regularly the...fish scaler...
I’m looking forward to getting my first ever SwissChamp for Christmas. I know what I’ll be using the fish scaler for, and it’s not fishing! (Ruler, general prodder and fork thingy.)

What do you use it for? It’s intended purpose seems likely to make the knife very messy

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2019, 10:18:35 AM
Use it sometimes like a fork when I don't have any. For example when eating on a trip in the woods.

gb Offline EMarkM

Reply #26 on: November 16, 2019, 10:21:59 AM
Cool; that’s pretty much what I thought. Thanks.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 10:44:43 AM
The SwissChamp is very capable! Except the bit driver (and the pruning blade) it has all essential tools on it.

You'll be happy with it.

gb Offline EMarkM

Reply #28 on: November 16, 2019, 11:38:58 AM
Well I’ve got my pruning blade on my alox Pruner (funnily enough ) and my bit driver on my Cybertool 34, so I’m sure I’ll be delighted. Many thanks for your input!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #29 on: November 16, 2019, 08:33:20 PM
I’m looking forward to getting my first ever SwissChamp for Christmas. I know what I’ll be using the fish scaler for, and it’s not fishing! (Ruler, general prodder and fork thingy.)

What do you use it for? It’s intended purpose seems likely to make the knife very messy

Some people sneer at the scaler but I find it really useful, mostly for the same reasons you'll use it for. The ruler is a clever addition! Apart from simple measuring, you can use it to show the scale of small objects in photographs.

A member here posted a few months ago that he regularly uses the scaler to scale fish. First time I'd read of anyone doing this more than once. He holds the knife in a plastic bag to protect it, poking the scaler through the end to do the job. He likes its performance.
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD