Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

18650 storage

Roc · 18 · 920

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
18650 storage
on: November 14, 2019, 12:11:50 AM
I recently bought an 18650 light and have another on the way. I’ve stocked up on 18650 bats and am looking for a better way to store them as they go through rotation. I don’t think lining them up on my mantle looks so good. What do you guys use to store rechargeable batteries?

Edit: I’m looking for something I can put in a drawer out of sight.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Re: 18650 storage
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 12:33:50 AM
I bought a small tupperware type dish that I put them in. Then I store that in one of those plastic multi drawer storage bins you can get a Walmart (what I call the college dresser). The top of my storage bin is my charging station. One of the things I do is number each battery. That way if one is performing different or charging different, it does not get lost in the shuffle.

I have several of the tupperware dishes in the drawer. They are for different battery types. I also label the dishes for batteries that are charged and those that need to be charged.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:16:28 AM
I bought a small tupperware type dish that I put them in. Then I store that in one of those plastic multi drawer storage bins you can get a Walmart (what I call the college dresser). The top of my storage bin is my charging station. One of the things I do is number each battery. That way if one is performing different or charging different, it does not get lost in the shuffle.

I have several of the tupperware dishes in the drawer. They are for different battery types. I also label the dishes for batteries that are charged and those that need to be charged.

Don’t they roll around? I guess I’m not sure what you mean by dish?

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
18650 storage
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 01:33:07 AM
I have several plastic cases that have come with various batteries.  They hold 2 x 18650 or 4 x CR123.  I also like storacell holders.

18650 Battery Store sells all different types of cases for fairly cheap.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:03:15 AM
I have several plastic cases that have come with various batteries.  They hold 2 x 18650 or 4 x CR123.  I also like storacell holders.

18650 Battery Store sells all different types of cases for fairly cheap.

Thanks for this. They do seem like the logical way to store cells. I have 12 18650 bats at the moment, but it will quickly grow. Would they sit safely in wood? I’ve thought about getting a block of wood, staining and boring out slots to fit them. I just don’t know what they might react to, other than metal.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 02:07:04 AM
you can buy small battery cases that hold 2 or 4 18650's, check battery junction, illumination supply, amazon, ebay...I have a few of them that came with batteries I bought, I also keep them in plastic utility/tackle boxes, with the adjustable dividers inside, made by Plano, Flamebeau etc, can get them in numerous places, I also store my knifes and lights in them.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
18650 storage
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 03:03:15 AM
Thanks for this. They do seem like the logical way to store cells. I have 12 18650 bats at the moment, but it will quickly grow. Would they sit safely in wood? I’ve thought about getting a block of wood, staining and boring out slots to fit them. I just don’t know what they might react to, other than metal.

They should be fine in wood, as long as not touching metal or end-to-end.  Personally, I like the solid plastic ones for theirlevel of protection
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 03:30:04 AM by Sos24 »

us Offline spudley112

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 04:06:06 AM
Thanks to the VA, I have a ton of medicine bottles left over. I use them for packing batteries when traveling or camping.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 06:10:44 AM
As others have also written about using plastic boxes case (2 x 18650 or 4 x 123)
They are available in various colors, the color can be useful for various purposes.
In the past I used to carry the spare batteries loaded in white/transparent containers during excursions, then I put the exhausted batteries in yellow boxes, so I knew immediately which boxes contained the charged or discharged batteries.
I used to also use a rubber band around the plastic case box, if it falls due to the impact it can open and the battery jump out, the elastic avoids this.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 06:22:33 AM
Stefano,

Great stuff. I am big on organizing batteries. I have quite a little collection of lights and I want the batteries organized so I instantly know what I have or need. That is one of the reasons I number them. One thing that drives me crazy is when the lights go out, or a light is needed, and you are with that friend that has one light and it has sat on a shelf for a decade and the batteries are dead. Fortunately, I always have a few with me.

I went spelunking with a friend once and he had ONE light with him...a cheap little light that he dropped in water in the first 15 minutes. He had no spare...heck, he didn't even bring spare batteries. I was loaded up to the point I could have stayed in that cave for weeks! haha.

BTW - I also number the magazines for my M14 and AR15. If they start to give you problems, at least then you know which one it was and it does to get mixed in with the good ones.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 06:24:35 AM
Oh, I meant to ask this earlier of those a bit wiser in the use and care of Lithium ion batteries. I have a few Otterbox type airtight containers. Is it ok to keep these type of batteries in that kind of box? I just don't want to do anything dangerous and I am a bit new to all this.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 09:01:51 AM
Oh, I meant to ask this earlier of those a bit wiser in the use and care of Lithium ion batteries. I have a few Otterbox type airtight containers. Is it ok to keep these type of batteries in that kind of box? I just don't want to do anything dangerous and I am a bit new to all this.

probably don't want to use that type, if they happen to vent gas may get a nasty surprise when opening

I like these type of cases, adjustable dividers:

us Offline spudley112

Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 01:38:26 AM
I started wrapping my Lithium Ion batteries in aluminum foil for storage today. I....am not getting great results. I will try my metal storage box tomorrow for the batteries that did not explode today.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 02:29:20 AM
I try to keep mine wrapped in other lights.

Seems like the only logical solution to me.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 02:49:04 AM
@spudley112

My English is bad and I write with Google translator I might not have understood what you want to do.
But wrap 18650 batteries directly in aluminum foil doesn't seem like a good idea.
If you want to do this first wrap in transparent food paper (transparent film) this insulates the battery.
I do this with the batteries that I keep in the fridge but I do it with batteries that I keep unused. (Not with batteries of daily use)
I first use a layer of transparent film, then several layers of aluminum paper - then again the transparent film - at the end I put the batteries in a plastic container for food, then I write a clearly visible label on the outside and then I also wrap the transparent film container.
The low temperature of the fridge (fridge and * not * the freezer) slows down the annual aging of lithium batteries.
This can be useful only if you have many unused batteries, before storing them check that their charge is between 50 and 70% (3.6V / 3.8 V) - to slow down the aging of the battery is not alone important is the temperature but also the charge level, to avoid it being too low or full.
If you need these batteries once they are taken out of the fridge it would be good to wait 12/24 H before using them or charging them (better to use a slow charge) this to allow their chemistry to stabilize.
In case of emergency if you need it immediately you can put it in a torch and turn it on but avoid using strong light levels (do not use High or Turbo)
The thing to avoid (something not to do) is to recharge them immediately after removing them from the fridge (wait a few hours to stabilize them first)

If you wonder why I wrapped my batteries in alternate layers of plastic and aluminum (and then in food containers) I can tell you that there are various reasons, with all this the battery is protected from humidity, water, bumps and perhaps from a fire domestic (I tried to contemplate all possible disasters including natural disaster / flood)

According to some tricks I learned on the internet a thick layer of aluminum paper could protect the electronic material from an extreme solar flare or an electromagnetic war - in this case, however, you must protect not only the batteries but also other components such as chargers, torches, and a panel solar for charging ..
Other users insert the material to be protected into sturdy metal boxes (the contents, however, must always be isolated from the external metal box) as you will have understood, it is a question of creating a makeshift faraday cage (nobody knows if it will really protect the electronic material it contains)
This however is a deviation from the original question of this discussion (it would be more suitable for the survival forum) I hope I have written something that can be useful to you.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 04:13:38 AM
Stefano,

Sorry...I was just joking...I do appreciate that members here would be willing to watch out for me though. I was just trying to be funny.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
18650 storage
Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 07:18:20 PM
OK so this is how I mostly deal with storing and carrying 18650s if not in the light.

The Match holder boxes are terrific!!
They are $1 at Walmart and Waterproof and hold an 18650 like they were made to and will also work for 2-123s the same way.
The Plastic dual holder is what they seem to furnish everywhere that I buy batteries in groups of 2 and they are in fact made for 2-18650s
The Translucent container on the right is an adjustable container that "Screws" in and out to change length and will easily accommodate an 18650 or a single 123 and I found them on CountyComms site a while back.

At home I mostly use these Dewalt TSTAK 2 Drawers Modular Storage Drawers that lock together to form single units as tall as you want and have real drawer slides and configurable compartments too.
I keep Lights,Batteries and Knives and stuff for them in these drawers.

I do use the Storacell s for other battery types but do not have any for the 18650.......yet!

I do also use a variety of Tackle box type containers as well as Pelican cases and they all seem to work just fine with no downsides at all so far that I have experienced,I do not use metal foil though at all! :think: :twak: :whistle:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 01:20:49 AM
Not sure why I didn’t think of keeping them in the case that illumin sends them in.  :think: Guess I was thinking classier? Anyway, this will do for now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%