Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Bit Confused......

Offline tonyg

A Bit Confused......
on: November 17, 2019, 12:15:36 AM
I've researched this board on this subject but I'm  still a bit confused: When Victorinox switched from the grey framed magnifier to the clear plastic version, (on the Explorer in particular), did they ever correct the issue with the lens popping out?  Is there some date after which it no longer did this, or was there just one production run of the all plastic ones, and they haven't corrected the issue?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline MiniChamp

Re: A Bit Confused......
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 12:40:02 AM
The "lens popping out" problem is irrelevant to the plastic lens that replaced the grey framed magnifier around 2004 and was used until around 2012. It is relevant to the current glass lens that is being used since around 1012. It looks like a minority of these latest generation magnifiers suffer from this problem. I have no idea if this problematic minority belongs to an early generation or that the problem also occurs with recently produced SAKs.

Offline tonyg

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 12:54:06 AM
So if I understand correctly, the plastic lens used between 2004 and 2012 did not have this problem, (was it one a piece unit?)  And only a minority of the newer glass lenses produced after 2012 had the popping out issue?  Thanks.

Offline tonyg

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 01:06:02 AM
Found some helpful info on Sakwiki under "magnifying lens".

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:11:17 AM
So if I understand correctly, the plastic lens used between 2004 and 2012 did not have this problem
Correct.

was it one a piece unit?
Yes, a one piece unit.

And only a minority of the newer glass lenses produced after 2012 had the popping out issue?
AFAIK, based on what people reported here in MTO discussions.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 10:13:03 AM
My XLT suffers from this problem too. Bought it two years ago and the lens fell out some months ago. Found it and put it back.

It sits loose in its frame. Can push it out at will.

Strange Thing.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 11:43:24 AM
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline tonyg

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 01:00:15 AM
Couple of things I found out since my original post and wanted to pass along:  the service department at Victorinox told me they have fixed the problem with the lens popping out on the post 2012 magnifier, ( although they didn't  say how ), and Swiss Knife Shoppe told me they have all new stock that do not have any SAKS with the problem magnifier.  Oh yeah, and the Victorinox folks also told me if you have a knife with the defective magnifier that you can send it in and they'll send you a new knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%