Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help choosing a new Mora - Kansbol vs Buscraft Black

tom57 · 42 · 3904

Poll

What would you choose for a general purpose outdoors tool?

Mora Bushcraft Black
6 (31.6%)
Mora Kansbol
8 (42.1%)
Other
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Help choosing a new Mora - Kansbol vs Buscraft Black
Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 12:08:27 PM
I voted other, mostly because I don't get along with Moras so well, their grind just does not feel right for me.
:imws:

That's why I recommended something else from the Companion range, even for myself working at the wrong end of an exchange rate they are the guilt-free parts of my collection of unused knives.

I have and love my Bushcraft black, but if I'm perfectly honest it's a glorified fire starter that I use for rough cutting tasks because it's simply not suited to much else.

The Kansbol is slightly more affordable than the Garberg, but both are relatively expensive knives. Garberg is too heavy for what it is and the Kansbol would be a deal at half the price.

"Bushcraft" knives with Scandi grinds lasted longer than fidget spinners, but the craze is almost over me thinks  :hatsoff:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 09:52:02 PM
Here in the Scandinavian countries scandigrind knives and especially the cheaper Mora knives are mostly used as beater knives for work(carpenters, mechanics and other types of hands on type of work). The whole scandi bushcraft thing seems to have started outside of Scandinavia I think
But personally I love the scandigrind :tu:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 03:07:33 AM
I'd second the Scandi grind and work knife.  While bushcraft seems to have adopted many things I've always seen it more of work with what you have rather than design specific to bushcraft.  I may have it wrong but I bet anyone with some skills with a knife and knowledge of making things can use darn near any knife with any grind. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 06:36:26 PM
I'd second the Scandi grind and work knife.  While bushcraft seems to have adopted many things I've always seen it more of work with what you have rather than design specific to bushcraft.  I may have it wrong but I bet anyone with some skills with a knife and knowledge of making things can use darn near any knife with any grind. 

Me three loving the Scandi grind.  And I agree with Aloha about skill vs gear, but on the other hand, I always believe in gears that bring positives even in layman's hands. 

For example, not every grind is perfect to make great feather sticks or do bushcraft stuff, and experts might be able to make them regardless, with their skills.  But if a scandi grind is easier to feather stick, even in layman's hands, that's bringing value to the game for everyone.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #34 on: October 06, 2019, 08:24:30 AM
I'd wait until the first week of December, Amazon always has a yearly sale on these models.

00 Offline tom57

Reply #35 on: October 07, 2019, 10:24:09 AM
Sorry for the late reply here guys, I've had a few very busy shifts at work.

I decided to go for the Kansbol as that was the knife I was originally interested in. HOWEVER looking online I found a great deal on the Mora 2000 (same blade right for less money what could go wrong), plus it had the cool factor that I read online it was/ may have been issued to Swedish troops.

When the 2000 arrived it looked great however the front of the handle seems too narrow (the dimension looking down the spine of the knife). I cant seem to find a comfortable grip on it and its definitely not as comfortable as my companion! So unfortunately that will be returned.

I think as Blackbeard said I may wait until some sales to finally get my hands on a Kansbol! The worst part of all of this is I own a fair few knives (Paramilitary2, Leatherman wave, Buck112, Casstrom woodsman, mora companion) and the knife I go to for 90% of my uses? My Victorinox Huntsman  :D

:whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: October 07, 2019, 03:56:05 PM
Not a problem per se but there are just so many wonderful knives to be had and as we accumulate them its harder and harder to "justify" any new ones.  Every new knife purchase for me is never justifiable as that goes but making use of them sure is fun. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: December 03, 2019, 05:29:21 PM
Did you get the Kansbol in the end Tom?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline tom57

Reply #38 on: December 05, 2019, 12:45:38 PM
Hi Gareth,

I didn't in the end. After not getting on with the Mora 2000 and returning it, I got the "do I really need another knife" feeling. So unfortunately its still in the wish list for another time.

I'll get a photo of my well loved Mora companion posted at some point.

Tom

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 05, 2019, 01:29:06 PM
I wish I got that feeling sometimes :rofl:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: December 05, 2019, 02:51:44 PM