Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Nessmuk Challenge

comis · 1462 · 34727

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
The Nessmuk Challenge
on: December 26, 2019, 04:11:30 PM

Welcome to the Nessmuk challenge thread!

We, Nix and Comis, are proposing a challenge drawn from history and the legendary George W. Sears, a.k.a ‘Nessmuk’.

Most of you know of the author of Woodcraft, written in 1884, when woodsmen still explored the wild reaches of North America.

Nessmuk advocated for the woodsman to carry a ‘trio’ of bladed tools to cover the various needs and tasks of life and living well in the bush: a small axe, a knife, and a pocket knife. This common sense approach is still used by many campers and hunters today.

Yes, it’s common sense, but how useful is this famous trio?

There is only one way to find out. A 30-day challenge!

We hope you guys will join in, test the Sears philosophy, and have a bit of fun. We’ve pick the month of September to allow most people to get out into the woods and do a bit of camping, hiking, or just messing around with some bushcrafting.

The goal:

For participants to test out Mr Sears’ recommendations for a tool triumvirate and evaluate which tool or tools are the most useful in modern life.

The rules:

1.  Prior to the start of the challenge (‘Day 0’ or before), participants will select an axe, fixed blade knife, and folding knife/multitool to use for the duration of the challenge. This will be a fixed set of tools, substitutions or changes are not permitted during the challenge (There was no way for Nessmuk to switch tools during a month-long sojourn into the bush, so you can’t either!). Post a picture of your ‘trio’ before the start of the challenge. You are now committed!  :salute:

2.  If a tool is lost or broken during the challenge, it can not be replaced. (Might influence choice of tools or lanyards)  :rant:

3.  The challenge will run for 30-days. Each day post a photo of one or more of the tools in your kit.  :tu:

4.  In addition to a daily photo, participants are encouraged to add comments about tool performance and/or why one tool was favored for a specific task over another tool.  :popcorn:

5.  At the end of the challenge, participants are asked to rank the tools in their trio in order of most used and most useful.   :think:
     E.g.     Used (most used to least used):  Spirit, Fixed blade, Axe
               Utility (most useful to least useful): Spirit, Axe, Fixed blade.

This is a fairly straightforward 30-day challenge--perhaps easier than many because of the extra number of tools included--but it should still be fun and encourage some good tool discussion.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The Nessmuk Challenge
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:15:56 PM
This is going to be a good one. Axes and knives....  :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 04:16:14 PM
01. comis
02. Nix

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 05:30:57 PM
Can't beat this!

01. comis
02. Nix
03. Barry Rowland
Barry

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 05:33:21 PM
Ah. If ONLY I lived further out and had an "outside" job, i would jump on this. I will be monitoring this thread for sure

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 05:34:05 PM
september, huh? i'll have to give this a thought
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 05:53:25 PM
Can't beat this!

01. comis
02. Nix
03. Barry Rowland
I am definitely in on this one! Oh yeah  :cheers:

01. comis
02. Nix
03. Barry Rowland
04. Rapidray

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 06:00:22 PM
Hard to believe we haven't done this challenge already. It seems like a natural for MTo....and MUST be done!   :ahhh

(All credit to comis for the idea!  :tu:)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 06:03:00 PM
Ah. If ONLY I lived further out and had an "outside" job, i would jump on this. I will be monitoring this thread for sure

Well.....you could select your 'Trio' based on your anticipated needs for September. SAK to cover 90% of the time, a fixie and small axe if the chance to get outdoors on a weekend should arise.  :D

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 06:05:13 PM

Well.....you could select your 'Trio' based on your anticipated needs for September. SAK to cover 90% of the time, a fixie and small axe if the chance to get outdoors on a weekend should arise.  :D
Thats a good point!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 06:07:50 PM
Thats a good point!  :like: :cheers:

Have I ever led you astray?

Wait....don't answer that.  :rofl:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 06:11:59 PM

september, huh? i'll have to give this a thought

:pok: Please do :D

I am definitely in on this one! Oh yeah  :cheers:

01. comis
02. Nix
03. Barry Rowland
04. Rapidray

Barry and Rapidray!  Great to have you!

Hard to believe we haven't done this challenge already. It seems like a natural for MTo....and MUST be done!   :ahhh

(All credit to comis for the idea!  :tu: )
No, thank you for hosting the previous fixie challenges and the axemen, those were great fun!  If anything, I am just connecting the dots.  You are definitely whom have inspired me this idea! :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 07:24:33 AM
This will be interesting to follow.

Due to the majority of my daily life being spent in areas where carrying an axe and fixed blade would draw a lot of unwanted attention, I will pass on participating.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 07:56:09 AM

Due to the majority of my daily life being spent in areas where carrying an axe and fixed blade would draw a lot of unwanted attention, I will pass on participating.

I actually live in a big city and probably in a similar situation as yours, there's no requirement on "open carry" anything, so I am going to bag carry these tools if I need to.  But am looking forward to see whether I get a chance to play with all three in an outdoor setting.

If you have time and do change your mind, please always feel free to join us! :D

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 10:52:17 AM
I actually live in a big city and probably in a similar situation as yours, there's no requirement on "open carry" anything, so I am going to bag carry these tools if I need to.  But am looking forward to see whether I get a chance to play with all three in an outdoor setting.

If you have time and do change your mind, please always feel free to join us! :D

Asking for a friend.  :whistle: Would it be acceptable to use a chopping tool other than an ax? An ax is useful in a forest, but some of us may be in a swamp or a jungle where a machete is the preferred tool.  Also, I didn't see a listed requirement to carry all 3 tools with you at all times. Having access to all 3 would be no problem, but if we have to actually carry them with us all the time, for the entire month, that is a problem.   If that is really what you are expecting I would like to suggest that we begin collecting for an MTO General Bail Fund, since anyone walking around with a large knife or an ax, either openly or concealed, may get themselves arrested in most urban / suburban locations.

se Online RF52

Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 11:36:02 AM
I'm in!

01. comis
02. Nix
03. Barry Rowland
04. Rapidray
05. RF52

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 11:51:43 AM

Asking for a friend.  :whistle: Would it be acceptable to use a chopping tool other than an ax? An ax is useful in a forest, but some of us may be in a swamp or a jungle where a machete is the preferred tool.  Also, I didn't see a listed requirement to carry all 3 tools with you at all times. Having access to all 3 would be no problem, but if we have to actually carry them with us all the time, for the entire month, that is a problem.   If that is really what you are expecting I would like to suggest that we begin collecting for an MTO General Bail Fund, since anyone walking around with a large knife or an ax, either openly or concealed, may get themselves arrested in most urban / suburban locations.

Thanks for bringing this up, I have discussed this with Nix prior to posting, and we both did agree that it is not a requirement to carry any or all of those tools with you at all times.  And how many tools you want to carry, if any, is totally a subjective decision. :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 12:44:59 PM by comis »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 11:52:14 AM
I'm in!

01. comis
02. Nix
03. Barry Rowland
04. Rapidray
05. RF52

Great to have you!  :cheers:

se Online RF52

Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 12:01:27 PM
Great to have you!  :cheers:
:hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 03:22:08 PM

It would be great to have you join, Sherry.

As comis said earlier, there is no requirement to carry all three tools all day, every day.  :cheers:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 03:29:42 PM

It would be great to have you join, Sherry.

As comis said earlier, there is no requirement to carry all three tools all day, every day.  :cheers:

Interesting... In that case, I'm in.  :salute: It would be silly of me otherwise.  :D

01. comis
02. Nix
03. Barry Rowland
04. Rapidray
05. RF52
06. Fuzzy

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 03:31:25 PM
Asking for a friend.  :whistle: Would it be acceptable to use a chopping tool other than an ax?

Great question, I'd say 'Yes!'.  Sears was looking for the right tools for the job, so a machete might make more sense for some.

And, repeating myself here, there is no need to carry all three tools all the time. Even here in Montana it's unusual to see people carrying axes in the supermarkets.   :rofl:

I think I'm going to go traditional Nessmuk on this one, but we'll see. I encourage everyone to select the 'trio' of tools that makes sense for him or her. For me, in September, a SAK, a belt knife, and small hatchet will likely work well. For others, a traditional Stockman, a necker, and a machete might be more pragmatic. Some don't really need anything other than a Vic Classic....and this challenge won't be any fun for them.  :D

With three tools to choose from everyday, this challenge will feel a bit like a luxury.  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 03:32:03 PM
Great to have you, Fuzzy.  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2019, 03:52:50 PM
Hmmmmm.... 9 month to look into axes and fixies  :think:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2019, 03:54:42 PM
Don't worry, there are no saws involved.....unless you chose a SAK Farmer as your pocket knife...... :facepalm:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 27, 2019, 04:06:24 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: December 27, 2019, 04:15:53 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club