Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG's new multitool offeriings

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

SOG's new multitool offeriings
on: March 04, 2007, 06:17:03 PM
Hey guys.  I'm new here, but I used to hand out at SOSAK and knifeforums.com quite a bit.  Def will remember me, hopefully that's a good thing.   :laugh: 
I have gotten away for awhile, but my interests in multitools has been sparked once again, and I looked to SOG.  They have a lot of new offerings, that incorporate a lot of features that were once available only on the Paladin and others.  Check it out, if you haven't already at:  http://www.sogknives.com/store/new.html

They even have a new knife/tool dedicated just to electricians, the Kilowatt.

Sorry if you've already discussed this, I haven't had time to catch up just yet...but thought you might find this interesting!

Re: SOG's new multitool offeriings
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 06:28:30 PM
Ooopsss....looks like there's a whole thread on that already.   :cry:  Like I said...hadn't read through it ALL yet.   :laugh:

Anyways...glad to be here and hope to be able to contribute BETTER than my first post.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 06:32:45 PM
No problem dcohalla, and welcome to Multitool.org.

Yeah, we were all pretty excited to see that SOG is still innovating and staying current in the multitool game. The more competition, the better it is for all of us!

Which of their new offerings are you thinking about getting?

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:13:46 AM
Sorry guys...guess I didn't include my name in the first post.  My name is Drew....and I'm a toolaholic.   :P

Which one do I want??  Ummmmm....ALL OF THEM!! :laugh:  The one that has my attention the most right now is the new EOD.  The new one with the SAT knife looks cool...but just don't know that I like using the knife on my multitool that much.  I usually have a dedicated knife clipped in my pants pocket or in the side pocket of my BDU's.  I'm just a little bit leery of what the prices are going to be on the new ones.  Might have to wait until they've been out a little bit before I can afford one.   ???

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 03:58:17 AM
Which one do I want??  Ummmmm....ALL OF THEM!! :laugh: 

You just met our entrance requirement! Welcome to the club!

So what do you make of these newfangled "piano locks" that SOG is hyping? I'm still trying to imagine what the advantage is. I'm not for it or against it (yet) I just haven't figured it out.  ???
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 05:02:35 AM
All I can figure out is that piano locks work similar to the way the springs on a swisstool keep the tools you want in but only pull the one you need out, SOG knows this is a patented locking/spring system so they had to do something different. I don't like it per say, but I have not tried it yet, who knows....cool be cool, but then again could be alot like the SwitchPlier, more novelty.

David

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:49:19 PM
....cool be cool, but then again could be alot like the SwitchPlier, more novelty.

David

That's what is going through my mind as well Dave. Are these things truly an improvement, or just for show? Guess we won't know for certain until we try them out.

Offline plowboy

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 07:02:48 PM
Welcome, Drew.  I haven't been here much the past month or so, but it's a great place to spend time.

I'm also keeping an eye for one of the new SOGS.

:)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 06:34:23 AM
I hope that covers over the "gear teeth" are made a standard on all the product line myself.Now if SOG could make itself just a bit more visible in the marketplace
I

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 02:58:11 AM
All I can figure out is that piano locks work similar to the way the springs on a swisstool keep the tools you want in but only pull the one you need out, SOG knows this is a patented locking/spring system so they had to do something different. I don't like it per say, but I have not tried it yet, who knows....cool be cool, but then again could be alot like the SwitchPlier, more novelty.

I have a feeling that those "piano keys" are an attempt to avoid Leatherman patents. I believe LM patented the lock on the Crunch, which is now used on their whole line; the SOG lock used on the PowerLock is functionally identical, and probably not licensed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%