Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who's buying the 'big' ones?

cbl51 · 86 · 3334

fr Offline VIXADDICT

Re: Who's buying the 'big' ones?
Reply #60 on: January 15, 2020, 11:38:10 AM
I bought the ‘big’ ones last year to complete my 30-day 30 SAKs challenge, but they’re really just of value to me as part of my collection. I can’t justify carrying them because of their size. SC is my max for pocket carry.

Normally prefer to carry a 3-layer like a Yeoman recreation or my Telluride. Covers most of my needs.  :salute:

That's an awesome mod!  :drool: Did you mod it yourself?
How did you fit that phillips on the can opener's back? Or is it on the scissor layer? And is it me or can opener and cap lifter are inverted? I'm lost  ??? :ahhh
But that's a terrific sak!  :like:
If you don't have the right equipment for the job, you just have to make it yourself.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: January 15, 2020, 12:08:22 PM
 :hatsoff: You’re spot on. Openers reversed to make space for back tools. There are more pics here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=82659.0
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: January 15, 2020, 02:10:26 PM
I bought the ‘big’ ones last year to complete my 30-day 30 SAKs challenge, but they’re really just of value to me as part of my collection. I can’t justify carrying them because of their size. SC is my max for pocket carry.

Normally prefer to carry a 3-layer like a Yeoman recreation or my Telluride. Covers most of my needs.  :salute:
Nice one and color!  :like: :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #63 on: January 15, 2020, 06:42:48 PM
 :hatsoff:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: January 15, 2020, 09:01:41 PM
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #65 on: January 15, 2020, 09:17:37 PM
That's a real Masterpiece, DT!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 16, 2020, 04:30:02 AM
Except it's not, Mr. Compact :rofl:

See there.... that's the trouble - I've got a Compact on me about half the time. But I leave it at home when I go hiking or camping.  What if I need a saw?   :bnghd:

nz Offline Storm

Reply #67 on: January 16, 2020, 06:11:14 AM
The cheek ! Challenge him to a duel , however that works?😁
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 16, 2020, 09:33:27 AM
See there.... that's the trouble - I've got a Compact on me about half the time. But I leave it at home when I go hiking or camping.  What if I need a saw?   :bnghd:

I guess we all know this line of reasoning. It's in the nature of SAKs, they fuel your "what if?" fantasies. Problem is, if you don't get that under control, you will end up carrying a XLT at all times ;)

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #69 on: January 16, 2020, 02:43:20 PM
I guess we all know this line of reasoning. It's in the nature of SAKs, they fuel your "what if?" fantasies. Problem is, if you don't get that under control, you will end up carrying a XLT at all times ;)

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: January 16, 2020, 03:15:14 PM
I am still trying to get my reasoning under control  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: January 16, 2020, 03:44:37 PM
For me - in my little mind - I want a SAK that I will use for everything that I will use my SAK for - does that make any sense to anyone?

I'm setting myself up for nostalgia in my later years. 

I can completely agree with you and with the rest of what you wrote but this ^^ really hit the nail on the head. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #72 on: January 16, 2020, 03:54:40 PM
Absolutely!  Honestly, life was a lot easier (but no where near as fun!) when I only had the Huntsman.  I think that's why I like Challenges.  It takes the decision on what to carry out of the equation :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: January 16, 2020, 05:55:30 PM
Absolutely!  Honestly, life was a lot easier (but no where near as fun!) when I only had the Huntsman.  I think that's why I like Challenges.  It takes the decision on what to carry out of the equation :facepalm:
And the other challengers who come up with some great solutions is nothing but a win win  :cheers:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: January 16, 2020, 07:09:14 PM
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: January 16, 2020, 10:42:13 PM
I can completely agree with you and with the rest of what you wrote but this ^^ really hit the nail on the head.

:cheers:

looks like I have an error on the bottom of the post and cut myself off accidentally.   :oops:

You wanna know something else I can't decide about....
Fieldmaster vs. Huntsman

As with my Compact, I can turn a Phillips screw with the can opener.  But I wonder - am I more likely to rescue the pot-luck dinner, and fix my eyeglasses.... or am I more likely to secure a sunken Phillips screw.

Historically it has been the former... but theres something about Fieldmaster February being around the corner that is reeling me in....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:56:23 PM by ElevenBlade »

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:27 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, and Sorry for my late reply!

Today I did a lot of chores um house with only a Spartan and a MT. Assembled some eletric plugs, lamp sockets, opened packages, assembled furniture...

The two biggest Saks who see uses is Cybertool and Ranger.

But the best for me is the Trail Guide.
It's in essence a Compact with file

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #77 on: January 17, 2020, 05:21:57 AM
:cheers:

looks like I have an error on the bottom of the post and cut myself off accidentally.   :oops:

You wanna know something else I can't decide about....
Fieldmaster vs. Huntsman

As with my Compact, I can turn a Phillips screw with the can opener.  But I wonder - am I more likely to rescue the pot-luck dinner, and fix my eyeglasses.... or am I more likely to secure a sunken Phillips screw.

Historically it has been the former... but theres something about Fieldmaster February being around the corner that is reeling me in....

I had the same issue. Then I put the micro screwdriver in my small FAK that I carry everywhere I go. I read a post from someone online that said he built not a FAK but rather a „Need and First Aid Kit“. He had a better term for it, but I cannot remember  :facepalm:

In his kit he had also a night guard, as he was a wilderness guide, so he would spend a lot of nights away from home. Adopting the same principle, I put the micro screwdriver in there. Honestly, I have yet to use it to fix my glasses while out and about, but it is good to know that I have it close by should I need it.

That leaves two more uses (for me) for the corkscrew: Opening knots and opening jars. The first one I have no need for when in the city or walking the dogs. When I go hiking or camping that is a different story, but the solution for that is the new SAK I have coming in tomorrow  :whistle:
Jar opening (pickle jars for example) happens almost exclusively in the kitchen, so I can just reach for the Champ that is nearby.

I also prefer a 3D Philips over a 2D one, or the tip of the can opener. I know it works well enough, it is just personal preference.

In conclusion: Philips is more useful to me than the corkscrew. Yes I know, if you go back a year you might find a post of me saying the opposite. See story above for the change in reasoning  :D 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: January 20, 2020, 01:17:06 AM
That leaves two more uses (for me) for the corkscrew: Opening knots and opening jars. The first one I have no need for when in the city or walking the dogs. When I go hiking or camping that is a different story, but the solution for that is the new SAK I have coming in tomorrow  :whistle:
Jar opening (pickle jars for example) happens almost exclusively in the kitchen, so I can just reach for the Champ that is nearby.

How does the corkscrew assist with opening jars?   :think:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #79 on: January 20, 2020, 03:16:28 AM
Set it under the lid at about a 45 degree angle. Start twisting gently. The corkscrew will bend the lid just enough to break the seal.
Had no idea it would work until i found a video of it. Since then, every lid that doesn‘t wanna budge, gets this treatment  :D

Unfortunately I cannot find the video anymore  :dunno:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: January 20, 2020, 04:09:52 AM
I carry larger SAKs out of habit and a (negative) feedback loop when I carry thinner knives. I always end up finding out what tools I don't like to live without.

Of course, the tool I've missed the least is the scaler...but even that has a few instances where I wish I had one on me.

The feedback also help send me down the mod path to build minimal knives that I can live with...and hopefully an 'ultimate' set of knives that fit my peculiarities and preferences.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: January 20, 2020, 05:53:23 AM
Set it under the lid at about a 45 degree angle. Start twisting gently. The corkscrew will bend the lid just enough to break the seal.
Had no idea it would work until i found a video of it. Since then, every lid that doesn‘t wanna budge, gets this treatment  :D

Thanks for the explanation.  Chalk up another use for the corkscrew!!

:climber:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #82 on: January 20, 2020, 01:43:05 PM
 :tu: :hatsoff:

us Offline dannyV

• New User
Reply #83 on: January 20, 2020, 02:58:15 PM
For me, I think there is a fuzzy line between what I want/ need to carry, and what I own just to admire.  My Pioneer has been EDC for a long time ( with a Spyderco clipped in my pocket).  But I have a few of the bigger ones.  They are likely to get tossed in my day pack, or my bike bag.  I have a bigger one in my ADV motorcycle tool pouch. I'm not gonna carry something all that large and heavy, unless I know for sure I need a specific tool for a planned task. 

fr Offline VIXADDICT

Reply #84 on: January 22, 2020, 10:00:42 AM

I would love to see that video !  :think:
If you don't have the right equipment for the job, you just have to make it yourself.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #85 on: January 22, 2020, 03:38:43 PM
I might do one myself next time i have to open a pickle jar  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16