Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2020 SHOT- Spyderco

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
2020 SHOT- Spyderco
on: January 21, 2020, 08:55:15 PM
Pictures only for now- Megan will add info later.

Whew... that's a lot of photos!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: 2020 SHOT- Spyderco
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 09:54:37 PM
Nice Ronin and Clipitools  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 11:40:51 AM
Lots of great pics :like: Thanks for taking those Megan :hatsoff:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 12:40:00 PM
Thanks for the photo!

Orange shaman?  This model should thank Nick Shabazz(sp?) for making it popular... :D

I wish they would choose another color for lightweight para3, all black is a little dull... :popcorn:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:05:09 PM
Thanks for the photo!

Orange shaman?  This model should thank Nick Shabazz(sp?) for making it popular... :D
They call it "burnt orange" and all of the knifes in that color have their new steel "CPM Rex 45" (Not 100% sure on the name)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 01:36:31 PM
Rex 45....burnt orange......they have no respect for my budget :facepalm:

Watched an interview with Eric about a new models, second mention was a new Cobalt-based  steel, and except if I missed something (twice) they failed to mention the name of the steel  :oops:

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 01:38:55 PM
Mr Shabazzian had a video rant about the special editions recently, I share his opinion, they're making sure that even if I work hard and sell a kidney I can never buy these  :poh:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 01:59:32 PM
Mr Shabazzian had a video rant about the special editions recently, I share his opinion, they're making sure that even if I work hard and sell a kidney I can never buy these  :poh:

I feel your pain. I regularly find myself scouring online listings after what I want to buy next and trying in my mind to justify the outlay with “just one more”.
I counter this need by looking at others large collections on knife forums. Suprisingly it makes me want to stop buying knives rather than the opposite.
I suppose it’s easier to see my affliction in others than it is in myself :rofl:

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 02:14:15 PM
I suppose it’s easier to see my affliction in others than it is in myself :rofl:

That has only worked for me as far as non-Spyderco tool go  :facepalm:
 :rofl:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 02:51:16 PM
Thanks for the photo!

I wish they would choose another color for lightweight para3, all black is a little dull... :popcorn:
The digital camo!  :drool:  :cheers:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 02:55:13 PM
The digital camo!  :drool:  :cheers:

The digital camo is G10, I think the lightweight in lightweight para 3 refers to the FRN version which some people prefer.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 03:21:58 PM

Just watched that video, and I too can't help but to agree with the rant. 

It does feel like every other offering I see for Spyderco is a "limited edition" or "Sprint run", and every other dealer would announce a particular time just to create an illusion how everyone shouldn't miss out the 'drop'.  Because of that, I very rarely buy any sprint run any more.  The truth of the matter is most modern steel(with good heat treat n geometry)would probably satisfy my need, and there is just no point of stressing over a particular color or special steel.  This hobby is supposed to be fun, not stressful for myself or my wallet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:17:11 PM by comis »

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 04:38:31 PM
Just watched that video, and I too can't help but to agree with the rant. 

It does feel like every other offering I see for Spyderco is a "limited edition" or "Spirit run", and every other dealer would announce a particular time just to create an illusion how everyone shouldn't miss out the 'drop'.  Because of that, I very rarely buy any spirit run any more.  The truth of the matter is most modern steel(with good heat treat n geometry)would probably satisfy my need, and there is just no point of stressing over a particular color or special steel.  This hobby is supposed to be fun, not stressful for myself or my wallet.

I have a couple of limited editions, both benchmade.
Although being limited edition was not why I bought them as they struck a chord the moment I saw them but definitely influenced when I bought them.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 04:40:35 PM
FOMO is fuel for these sprint runs and limited editions.  I don't keep up to date as some do so I always miss out  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 04:44:28 PM
FOMO is fuel for these sprint runs and limited editions.  I don't keep up to date as some do so I always miss out  :rofl:.

I now have a fear of not missing out. :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 05:20:39 PM
Limited editions have their place as it keeps the production line smallish. Imagine a special run with an expensive damasteel blade and after the initial release hype, the sales volume drops to 5 knives annually. That would mean very small production runs or large storage ( storage == capital == tax and worst of all it is dead capital ).
E.g. Benchmade Gold Class is not something you can produce over decades as it is more than just upgraded steel. It is also only limited in time (one year) but not in volume. So, everybody who wants one, can get one (if he has the dough). Or similar the Victorinox colored alox.
Limited in volume I simply ignore. I mean I would have loved the 50 year moon landing SAK, but by the time I opened the E-Mail from Victorinox, it was already sold out... that seems stupid. And I certainly don't buy stuff like this 2nd hand as the prices are often criminal.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 08:32:56 PM
Tell me about it :facepalm:
That has only worked for me as far as non-Spyderco tool go  :facepalm:
 :rofl:
Barry

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 08:25:10 AM
I see your Sprint Run, and I raise you a Snap Batch.
 :rant:
 :poh:
 :wait:

To be honest the Snap Batch idea is less sickening, they are expensive and true one-off limited editions.
IF I can justify and afford more it's a steel collection for me, I need me some ZDP, some REX 45 would be nice......even XHP
 :gimme:
Some M4 please  :woohoo:
K390 to round things out  :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12