Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Aging and pocket knives.

cbl51 · 18 · 1359

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Aging and pocket knives.
on: March 06, 2022, 05:20:04 PM
I've had a decades long love affair with SAK's.  I had my first one in 1969, and for most of my life, theres been one in my pocket. Theres been other knives, like Opinel's, that I discovered in 1982, and the little Christy knife that my dad introduced to me as a pre-adolescent kid. Its been a steady player over my lifetime.

But...that little three letter word that pops up no and then...things change. Like getting older.

Its affected my gun ownership. With ostio arthritis from a career as a machinist, and cranking on milling machines, lathes, drill press handles, I am a fumble finger senior citizen that has some painful joints. Manual dexterity has gone down both from arthritis pain and stiffening of the joints themselves. I can no longer deal with loading rounds into a magazine. Far easier and less painful to just open cylinder of the revolver, insert a round in any empty holes, close cylinder and shoot. Same with break open shotguns. Surprising how far you can go wth a S&W revolver and a double barrel coach gun.

With knives, it is now a pain in the butt to use a nail nick to pull open a small hard to grasp penknife. I've given away my old Boker 240 pen knife, my Victorinox secretary, Victorinox excelsior, and some other SAK's. I find the slip joint SAK now too fiddly to use comfortable and sometimes with fumble finger arthritic hands, actually dangerous. I don't carry a SAK anymore. For tools, the Leatherman squirt is still manageable, and I still have the Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver and my P-38 in my wallet. The P-38 is going to be replaced with a P-51, a larger easier to handle version. I've actually given away all my SAK's. The squirt is my only multitool I own now.

But, for the actual job of cutting, I still need a pocket knife. One that is no danger to a arthritic fumble finger old fart. For that, my old love of friction folders is paying off. The Opinel and the Christy are great slicers. Nice thin blades, easy opening, especially the Christy with the slide out blade. My number 8 Opinel rides in a nylon and velcro belt pouch behind my right hip, and most times I don't bother with the lock. After all, the lock was added in 1955 on the advise of a lawyer, never a good thing. I snug up the pivot with a light peening for a slightly snugger pull. I find with the friction folders, that lack of a back spring is actually a blessing, making for a knife with a smooth steady opening pull with no snap back if fumble fingers slip. The blade just stays where it is if fingers slip off while pulling it open. If its some more on the side of heavy duty cutting, then I'll give the locking ring a twist. But for slicing a baguette or cutting a piece of twine or opening a package, the old friction folder mode of use works just fine. For woods use or sturdier cutlery, my old Buck 102 goes on my belt in place of the Opinel.

I've surprised myself how far I can go with a Leatherman squirt and Christy knife or Opinel.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Re: Aging and pocket knives.
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 09:21:23 PM
We'll all be there one day. Sounds like you're adapting just fine, and gear like the S&W and Buck 102 will continue to serve you as they've served people well in all age groups over the years.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 02:13:05 AM
Carl, I think it is fairly common for gun guys to transition to wheelguns in the mature years.  And really, that is all one needs to alter someone's bad behavior in the Walmart parking lot. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 05:41:41 AM
Been a wheel gun fan all my life.  If I had a choice of duty carry it'd be a revolver. 
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 05:26:55 PM
I feel it in my hands and fingers as well.  Father time, if we're lucky, catches up to us at some point.  I have a few knives that I believe will carry me into the back stretch of my days.  I'll likely still carry a fixed blade and I have a few trads that pinch open pretty good.  Now that I think about it, well see if thats still the situation further afield. 

Nice you have some tools that still working for you.   :tu: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 04:30:09 AM
Been feeling arthur kicking my butt for a while now.  The latest hit has been my hand.
Can't carve much any longer and have had to modify my carry somewhat,  but I'm still carrying my favorite large stockman and recently found a large jack knife that'll be introduced soon.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 04:47:50 AM
Man alive, that sucks. I have to deal with my fingers swelling up when the weather turns cold, and I've yet to hit 45...I can relate somewhat.

There are a few options for the pocket knife. One would be a "knife opener," such as this one. Another would be a knife whose design permits the user to pinch the blade between thumb and forefinger, such as a Case Sod Buster. There are also those designed to be opened one-handed, such as flippers and the Spyderco that Powernoodle showed. Of course, a fixed blade doesn't have to be opened...though I'll never be sold on the idea of carrying one in my pocket!

As for loading a magazine, I'm sure somebody makes a little device that slips over the top and has a little tab to push down on the follower and any round after the first?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I hope I've been of at least a small amount of help.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 03:19:45 PM
I've awlways liked the higonokami design. The svord peasant, too, but it's a lot bulkier. Those are a good option, too.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 03:38:28 PM
Where appropriate, it seems that a small fixed blade on the belt or sheathed in the pocket might be useful.  No opening or closing.  The only real hazard is re-holstering, but this does not require much joint articulation. 

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 11:33:47 PM
The svord peasant, too...
I forgot about that one. It could certainly be a good option.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 01:51:22 PM
I love my SAKs, but with my arthritis getting worse, along with a little peripheral neuropathy causing some fingertip numbness, I find an assisted opener easier and easier to carry. I still carry and use my smaller knives but usually not in situations where I may have a decrease in function (cold sends my friend Arthur into fits ::))
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 06:38:17 PM
I jogged my memory and recalled the "easy open jack." I'm not aware of any currently in production, though.

USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 12:17:45 AM
 :like: I love me some small knives so I'm going to enjoy the heck out of them before author has his way with my fingers.  I do carry a fixed blade so I'll be covered and I'll likely still carry my little ones just cause they are so great.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 12:30:38 AM
I jogged my memory and recalled the "easy open jack." I'm not aware of any currently in production, though.

(Image removed from quote.)
I’m not aware of that exact pattern being currently manufactured either, but I do find most single blade and some multi-blade slip joints easy to open by just pinching the blade.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 12:46:27 AM
I hear that clock ticking, Carl.

I can run any pistol I want, but my preference is for a revolver. My J-frame is my favorite carry pistol. If the day comes when I have trouble with a semi-automatic, no worries, I'll probably have a J-frame with me anyway.

The pocket knife issue is a bigger deal to me. I like the slip-joints. I love my SAKs. Fortunately, my state now allows automatics. I expect that if I have trouble using a stiff slip-joint or folder, I might invest in an automatic. I find carrying an edged tool too useful to not have that option. I also like your Opinel option. I have a few Opi's and I love 'em. I wouldn't feel at a disadvantage having an Opi....obviously.

What I like about your post is the way you have found the mental flexibility and will to adapt to youer circumstances and find ways to get tools that work for you.  :tu:

Oh...and don't forget the easy to use fixed blade.   ;)

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 07:12:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your hands.

If it's of any help you can get screw on thumbstuds, and more slimline thumb plates, that make opening nail nick knives far easier, I added a thumbstud to my 110 for easier OHO.

If your state allows them then automatics would be a good avenue, a button lock would just require you to close the blade but an out the front would do the deployment and retraction for you.

If autos are a no-go then a button lock like a Malibu would be easy to operate, and assisted knives may be of help.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 03:49:29 PM
I really like OTF and it would be a really nice option.  I modded my Opinel with a "easy open" cut out.  I can pinch the blade pretty easily so this is also a good option IMO.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 10:48:19 PM
I really like OTF and it would be a really nice option.  I modded my Opinel with a "easy open" cut out.  I can pinch the blade pretty easily so this is also a good option IMO.   

Both my number 8 and number 5 Opinel have had the handle modded so that the handle is way sanded down and narrowed where the blade is. So much more of the blade is exposed and pinchable for easy opening. I used my Sardinian Resolza for the model, and shaped the Opinel wood handle more like it, with a deep dished in where the nail nick is. Can even open the Opinel now with work gloves on.

The Opinel, Resolza, and Christy knife are my sole knife carries now. Just easy to deal with friction folders, and I do like using something a European worker peasant from a century or more ago would recognize.

Blade locks? We don't need no steenking blade locks!!!!!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%