Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UK Legal Carry Thread!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: UK Legal Carry Thread!
Reply #570 on: April 24, 2013, 08:12:32 PM
Too stabbie looking for me. :shrug:

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #571 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:34 AM
SRM M1. Non locking, works by hidden ball indents.

Fantastic quality for a budget knife.

bavaria Offline achindoon

Reply #572 on: September 03, 2014, 02:15:37 AM
As far as i understand the British knife law, the FOX ANSØ ZERO is also a UK-legal knife.  ;)
This Youtube video also shows the mechanism of the knife:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #573 on: September 03, 2014, 09:28:12 AM
As far as i understand the British knife law, the FOX ANSØ ZERO is also a UK-legal knife.  ;)
This Youtube video also shows the mechanism of the knife:

According to this
http://www.heinnie.com/fox-anso-zero
It's a locking knife :(
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #574 on: September 27, 2014, 02:14:36 PM
While having a chat in another topic I realised that some of our UK members might not be aware of a change made to the 1988 Criminal Justice Act in 2008.

Here is as good a break down as I can find.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/New-UK-Sword-Legislation-FAQ-/10000000006500890/g.html

This Law was indeed passed and came into effect in England, Wales and Northern Ireland only.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2039/introduction/made

So watch out for any curved blades that are in excess of 50cm (roughly 19 1\2").  A "good reason" is no longer enough for folks outside of Scotland. :-\
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:16:54 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #575 on: September 27, 2014, 08:52:40 PM
While having a chat in another topic I realised that some of our UK members might not be aware of a change made to the 1988 Criminal Justice Act in 2008.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/New-UK-Sword-Legislation-FAQ-/10000000006500890/g.html

This Law was indeed passed and came into effect in England, Wales and Northern Ireland only.

So watch out for any curved blades that are in excess of 50cm (roughly 19 1\2").  A "good reason" is no longer enough for folks outside of Scotland. :-\

Have you been EDCing a curved Sword with a blade longer than 50CM !  :ahhh

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #576 on: September 27, 2014, 09:08:52 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds.../10000000006500890/g.html

http://www.legislation.go...08/2039/introduction/made

Hey Gareth is Scottish and regularly EDC's a Claymore, Longbow and a two handed thowing axe  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #577 on: September 27, 2014, 09:41:52 PM

Hey Gareth is Scottish and regularly EDC's a Claymore, Longbow and a two handed thowing axe  :rofl:

Sounds about right. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #578 on: September 27, 2014, 09:47:09 PM

This was some legislation brought in to control the sales of mass produced katana and the like, but ended up covering anything curved with a longer blade, sabres and the like.  So unless you are part of a Martial Arts or Reenactor group you really shouldn't own one.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #579 on: September 27, 2014, 09:52:24 PM

I'd love to see those one day. :pok:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #580 on: September 28, 2014, 12:09:13 AM

I'd love to see those one day. :pok:

Well, the longbow has been documented before. ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #581 on: May 16, 2015, 12:46:16 PM
OK folks, I've a challenge for you.  This thread is a good resource for the UK members (and others) who wish to have "reason free" EDC pocket knives.  The thing is; it's a rapidly expanding market, which is good, but it also means this thread needs to be updated if it want to stay current. 

So, if I can ask you good people to help keep me informed with new knives (or old ones we've missed out), then I'll keep the OP list up to date.  If you can provide links from the manufacturer rather than a retailer, that would also be excellent. :tu:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #582 on: May 16, 2015, 01:12:13 PM

Fantoni Dweller http://www.heinnie.com/fantoni-dweller

My favorite 'posh' knife  :D
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #583 on: May 16, 2015, 01:38:55 PM
Added to the list. :tu:

I've also added the CRKT Journeyer - http://www.crkt.com/journeyer-folding-knife?srch_pid=714&child=714&search_id=1132996  New one from Liong Mah.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #584 on: May 16, 2015, 02:41:11 PM
There are, as mentioned in the 1st post, which is all I read, various traditional style knives that fit.

e.g. New/old Schrade, GEC, Queen, Colt and many already mentioned there.

Also the Lansky world knife I think and some Gerber BG folding knives
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #585 on: May 16, 2015, 03:34:20 PM
There really are too many traditional folders to list them ALL! :D  However I might be persuaded to put together a list of makers to look out for.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #587 on: May 16, 2015, 06:52:31 PM
Guess we need to and the Spyderco Roadie too

http://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-roadie
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #588 on: May 16, 2015, 07:25:20 PM

You'll already find the Roadie if you follow the Spyrderco links. :)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #589 on: May 16, 2015, 07:42:22 PM

You'll already find the Roadie if you follow the Spyrderco links. :)

:doh:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #590 on: May 29, 2015, 07:45:49 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm going to be spending some time in the UK in the next few months, and I've got a few questions - mods, i didn't want to start a new thread as there's already a few on UK legal EDC, but if you want i can.

ok, here goes - this thread started a long time ago (2008 ??) well before my time here . . . i assume that there's been no real change to the laws, hence my (new) Wave is still not legal ?
Also, i assume that my 12 yr olds Leap is illegal too as the blade locks ?

I usually carry a squirt P4, great little tool and from what i've read here 100% legal (right ?)

But I want something a bit bigger when I am in the UK - I'm a leatherman fan and thinking of one of the juices (probably S2) and leaving my beloved wave at home . . . Do the new ones lock ? The list at the start still lists them, but i think i read somewhere the new juices are locking ? Or did i imagine it ?
TBH, the jucie doesn't really do it for me, but i want a legal MT and it should cover most of what I need i think.

I'm also curious, can a police officer in the UK stop and search anyone they feel like ? Or can you refuse ? Just wondering what would lead to someone carrying something like a wave been searched if they're just going about their business ?

thanks guys :)

eamo

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #591 on: May 30, 2015, 01:13:38 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm going to be spending some time in the UK in the next few months, and I've got a few questions - mods, i didn't want to start a new thread as there's already a few on UK legal EDC, but if you want i can.

ok, here goes - this thread started a long time ago (2008 ??) well before my time here . . . i assume that there's been no real change to the laws, hence my (new) Wave is still not legal ?
Also, i assume that my 12 yr olds Leap is illegal too as the blade locks ?

I usually carry a squirt P4, great little tool and from what i've read here 100% legal (right ?)

But I want something a bit bigger when I am in the UK - I'm a leatherman fan and thinking of one of the juices (probably S2) and leaving my beloved wave at home . . . Do the new ones lock ? The list at the start still lists them, but i think i read somewhere the new juices are locking ? Or did i imagine it ?
TBH, the jucie doesn't really do it for me, but i want a legal MT and it should cover most of what I need i think.

I'm also curious, can a police officer in the UK stop and search anyone they feel like ? Or can you refuse ? Just wondering what would lead to someone carrying something like a wave been searched if they're just going about their business ?

thanks guys :)

eamo

Way to re-open the can of worms Eamo ;)

If my understanding is correct....

Any non-locking knife with a cutting edge of under three inches is deemed to be a pen knife,and legal as long as it is not used in a threatening manner. If,however,your in a bar or nightclub,that can change.

Locking or fixed blades are legal,as long as you have good reason to be carrying it(say a builder or handyman) The grey area may be on the way to or from the area of use.

Then again,you have the TaxiDad Principle: if the police want to cause you a problem,they'll find something

As to stop and search...as far as I know,the police have the right to do this if the believe there are reasonable grounds. In London,something like 70% of stop and searches are on folks under 25 and of a non European ethnic group(PC enough?)

My own experiance talking to special constables is that if you don't fit a risky profile,your chances of issues drop dramatically.( or to quote what he said to me "you'll never need to worry")

So yes,Juices are technically fine,as are Gerber Balences. If your really concerned,mod a PST or a Gerber MPxxx,or a SOG

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #592 on: May 30, 2015, 01:20:03 AM
Yep what John said mate :)

Just carry your Juice or better yet a Farmer ;) and you'll be fine :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #593 on: May 30, 2015, 11:44:40 AM
thanks guys for that, guess i need to invest in a Juice :)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #594 on: May 30, 2015, 11:47:26 AM
oh, and sorry for reopening that can of worms :D :D :D :D :D
afaik, here in ireland, it's based on intent rather then what you're carrying, but i have never looked into it tbh, i live in a rural area and have little fear of ever been questioned about carrying a wave.

Reply #595 on: May 30, 2015, 11:49:52 AM
It's a stupid law conceived by stupid people, that only affects the honest, decent people sadly :(

Oh and you still need a Vic Farmer :D

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #596 on: May 30, 2015, 12:08:24 PM
ok Mike, i'll look into the farmers :)

both my lads have vic hikers which they love, but i prefer leatherman kit myself - but i'll consider a farmer :)

my daughter has a leap which she loves and uses all the time, unfortunately, that seems to be UK illegal too which is a shame. TBH, even if we were camping/hiking (which we plan on doing a lot of) and had "fair cause" I just wouldn't bother letting her take the chance.
I think the chances of getting caught up in the system are very very small, but the consequences are life altering so it's just not worth the hassle.

Reply #597 on: May 30, 2015, 12:50:14 PM
Sadly that's the problem over here. I love my Swisstool and Spirit but its just not worth the grief :(

All it takes is a bored copper and your down the price of the tool, or worst case out of a job ::)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #598 on: May 30, 2015, 01:47:02 PM
losing your job would probably be down the least of worries, a caution or conviction would eliminate a lot of potential jobs, and more and more employers require police clearance certs. And as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, a caution doesn't actually specify the broader story behind it, just that someone possessed an "0ffensive" weapon.

so, very low risk V very high consequences, just not worth it and it sucks. But thats how it is i guess.

Reply #599 on: May 30, 2015, 01:57:43 PM
Exactly mate and I work with SEN kids so I have to be purer than the driven snow ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD