Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UK Legal Carry Thread!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: UK Legal Carry Thread!
Reply #660 on: December 08, 2017, 07:25:07 PM
Hmmm...I feel a little badly about this. I can't find the pocket clip. Usually I save pocket clips, but I may have tossed this one, knowing that I'd never use a clip with this knife.

So, I tried to identify the model--just in case Spyderco could replace the clip--and I can't figure what this knife actually is! I'm sure it's a Sypderco (Taichung manufacture), and I'm sure I got it from a reputable dealer. But I have no idea what it is!  :facepalm:

Anyway, offer still stands, if you would actually use and carry this knife and don't mind not having a pocket clip.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #661 on: December 08, 2017, 08:24:00 PM
 :o

I’ll use it!

Show content
I think that’s a Terzuola Slipit

edit now that I've got the kids in bed: Thanks Nix, that's very generous of you.  Been looking for a new Spyderco for a while - nearly bought a PM2 recently but decided I wanted something non-locking and was about to buy an Urban.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:01:14 PM by hiraethus »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #662 on: December 08, 2017, 09:48:00 PM
Hey, very cool.

And a quick google search would seem to confirm your guess on make and model. Well done, you!

I really like this knife and feel sorry that I don't carry or use it more often. So, I'm glad to put it in the hands of somebody who will give it the care, feeding, and exercise it deserves. Shoot me a PM with your shipping address!  :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #663 on: December 20, 2017, 09:10:11 AM
True to his word, Nix sent the Terzuola slip joint and it arrived yesterday.  It's probably not the style of Spyderco I'd normally go for, but it is very nice indeed.

I'll use it over the holidays and post up some more thoughts elsewhere.  Many thanks Nix. :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #664 on: December 20, 2017, 10:05:27 AM
 :like:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #665 on: December 20, 2017, 05:30:29 PM
 :like:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #666 on: December 21, 2017, 05:03:37 PM
True to his word, Nix sent the Terzuola slip joint and it arrived yesterday.  It's probably not the style of Spyderco I'd normally go for, but it is very nice indeed.

I'll use it over the holidays and post up some more thoughts elsewhere.  Many thanks Nix. :cheers:

Nix is off the charts these days
My gift from him is not UK legal (almost 4 inches, 6 ounxes, solid titanium framelock   :D) but it's also a top notch piece, the ZT0561

:drool:
Hey Nix, we're all enjoying these Christmas days much more thanks to you   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #667 on: April 09, 2018, 05:16:32 PM
...meanwhile in London:
https://twitter.com/MayorofLondon/status/982906526334668800

Mayor of London statement:

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law."

The comment on the thread are interesting..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #668 on: April 09, 2018, 06:00:50 PM
...meanwhile in London:

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law."

Quite predictable but what do they expect from such a blanket statement? I have to say though, things are not looking very good over there.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #669 on: April 09, 2018, 06:18:16 PM
...meanwhile in London:

Quite predictable but what do they expect from such a blanket statement? I have to say though, things are not looking very good over there.

It's an absolute mess. They've reached a point of no return now in London, it's just going to get worse and worse and worse and there's nothing realistically they can do now to fix it. Successive politicians have successfully destroyed (one of) the most culturally significant city in the world... smurfs!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:35:47 PM by Fuzzbucket »

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #670 on: July 06, 2018, 04:52:54 PM
so are knives getting seized by customs?
i ordered one from GB on 15th june and its not arrived yet.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #671 on: July 08, 2018, 11:55:36 PM
so are knives getting seized by customs?
i ordered one from GB on 15th june and its not arrived yet.

Boarder control have been known to seize flippers or define some knives as “gravity” knives, ie can be opened with a flick of the wrist, or spydie drop, and seize.
This isn’t new, been going in for years.
What did you order?

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #672 on: July 09, 2018, 01:28:52 AM
a gravity knife  :rofl:

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #673 on: July 09, 2018, 10:10:03 AM
a gravity knife  :rofl:

Best case - it'll arrive soon, not uncommon for imported goods to take weeks to clear customs.
Worse case - you'll have the 5 O on your door step at 6am arresting you for imported a restricted weapon.

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #674 on: July 14, 2018, 06:53:54 PM
sadiq khan 0
common sense 1

IMG_20180714_164737.jpeg
* IMG_20180714_164737.jpeg (Filesize: 66.83 KB)

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #675 on: July 14, 2018, 07:26:52 PM
 :2tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #676 on: July 14, 2018, 07:57:27 PM
sadiq khan 0
common sense 1

Has there been an update?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #677 on: July 14, 2018, 10:15:50 PM
No They're all in meltdown over Brexit at the moment, so no doubt they'll pass the bill because everyone will be blathering on about other things :facepalm:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #678 on: July 28, 2018, 07:51:17 PM
I thought this story was interesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44946273

A police officer accused of smashing and sawing through a car windscreen claimed "the majority" of response officers carry their own bladed tools on duty, a court has heard.
PC Joshua Savage allegedly attacked Leon Fontana's Ford Fiesta with a baton before cutting the smashed glass with a lock knife on 16 September 2016.
The officer denies possessing his own Swiss army knife unlawfully.
He told the Old Bailey that blades were needed for emergencies.
Mr Savage claimed his job required a "cutting implement" for acts such as slicing seat belts off trapped passengers in emergency situations.
On Tuesday, the court heard the Met Police officer told an Independent Police Complaints Commission interviewer: "You supplement your own issue kit with stuff that's necessary.
"The majority of officers on response teams will carry them along with torches."

He was cleared of assault, but is still probably in a bit of trouble with the Force.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44980617

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #679 on: July 28, 2018, 07:58:33 PM
:facepalm:

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #680 on: August 01, 2018, 10:15:05 AM
I would think he would have a good reason to carry a locking blade as he uses it in his work, as described.

Putting  aside the knife part, that particular case was a mess. Inexperienced officer, mistaken identity, whole lot filmed and posted of social media.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #681 on: August 01, 2018, 07:57:37 PM
I would think he would have a good reason to carry a locking blade as he uses it in his work, as described.

I found that strange too.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #682 on: August 03, 2018, 09:26:03 AM
If he needs a locking blade for work then why is it not issued officially?  We get on a slippery slope if we let the officiers decide what they can carry "legally".  Pepper spray? Extending baton? Nunchucks? Cattle prod? Samurai sword? Etc?

Personally, I see no reason to deny them a locking blade especially since it is a USEFUL TOOL.  And maybe the law will lighten up on the rest of us too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #683 on: August 03, 2018, 03:00:52 PM
If he needs a locking blade for work then why is it not issued officially?  We get on a slippery slope if we let the officiers decide what they can carry "legally".  Pepper spray? Extending baton? Nunchucks? Cattle prod? Samurai sword? Etc?

Personally, I see no reason to deny them a locking blade especially since it is a USEFUL TOOL.  And maybe the law will lighten up on the rest of us too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The problem is that when a police officer can't justify carry of a locking pocket knife on duty what hope is there for the rest of us? What do you need to do to prove justifiable cause if the benchmark has been shifted that far?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:06:40 PM by pomsbz »

Offline mtoolman

Reply #684 on: September 20, 2018, 12:09:51 AM
So, in the case of blades which are locking, or longer than, or is 3 inches long, if someone is going to camp site, woods, hills or mountains for camping, bushcrafting, hill walking, then it is OK to carry whatever tools in his backpack?

It's just carrying these tools in public streets, town centres and markets ...etc without reasonable purposes, that would be illegal.

Am I correct on this? If not, please correct me.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #685 on: September 20, 2018, 12:51:17 AM
So, in the case of blades which are locking, or longer than, or is 3 inches long, if someone is going to camp site, woods, hills or mountains for camping, bushcrafting, hill walking, then it is OK to carry whatever tools in his backpack?

It's just carrying these tools in public streets, town centres and markets ...etc without reasonable purposes, that would be illegal.

That's essentially correct. The non-locking blade under three inches is the definition of a knife that can be carried as a general pocket knife. If you have a specific and genuine reason for "more" or for a fixed blade, you're perfectly entitled too, which is the point often overlooked in internet discussion. If you need a billhook for hedging, machete for clearing a vacant lot, fixed blade for fishing or food prep while camping, then go for it. Just be sure that you can justify the reason for carrying more than that sub-3" slippie.

Another example: As I have some health issues which affect my coordination and other motor skills, I would probably be able to put the case forward for having a locking blade over a slipjoint knife, but wouldn't have a cause for carrying longer than a 3" blade. Having submitted this reason, the onus would then be on the police to disprove this, or to prove that I was carrying it with nefarious intent, or was for example using it in an intentionally threatening manner, or making threats to harm someone with it.

The short version, is that you can carry whatever you need, but if you don't have a specific need, the law protects your right to carry a reasonable pocket knife everywhere which doesn't have specific "no blade" restrictions.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline mtoolman

Reply #686 on: September 20, 2018, 01:02:20 AM

That's essentially correct. The non-locking blade under three inches is the definition of a knife that can be carried as a general pocket knife. If you have a specific and genuine reason for "more" or for a fixed blade, you're perfectly entitled too, which is the point often overlooked in internet discussion. If you need a billhook for hedging, machete for clearing a vacant lot, fixed blade for fishing or food prep while camping, then go for it. Just be sure that you can justify the reason for carrying more than that sub-3" slippie.

Another example: As I have some health issues which affect my coordination and other motor skills, I would probably be able to put the case forward for having a locking blade over a slipjoint knife, but wouldn't have a cause for carrying longer than a 3" blade. Having submitted this reason, the onus would then be on the police to disprove this, or to prove that I was carrying it with nefarious intent, or was for example using it in an intentionally threatening manner, or making threats to harm someone with it.

The short version, is that you can carry whatever you need, but if you don't have a specific need, the law protects your right to carry a reasonable pocket knife everywhere which doesn't have specific "no blade" restrictions.

:like: :like: :like: :tu:

Great info. Thank you for your confirmation.  :tu:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #687 on: September 20, 2018, 08:47:13 AM

Almost completely correct, however only a judge can decide guilt and or intent  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

au Offline Valkie

Reply #688 on: October 20, 2018, 05:59:54 AM
The list of legal carry knives in Australia is easy

In fact, under Australian law, just about everything is considered illegal.
Bunch of keys..........weapons
Tiny Victornox knife.........weapons
Screwdriver............weapons
Walking cane.......weapons

They say that if you have a good reason to carry, it's ok.
But any cop with a chip on his shoulder can charge you and you have to fight it in court.

I had my sai in my car (boot) on my way to martial arts training one night.
I was wearing my Gi
Pulled over for a random breath test.
Cop started laughing at my Gi. ( As if martial arts means anything he laughhed"
I ignored his stupidity and he got all annoyed, he was showing off to the female cop.
He searched my car (looking for drugs he said)
Found the sai
I explained I was off to training.

He was about to arrest me when an old sergeant came over and asked what the trouble was.
The cop said I threatened him.

The seargent took him off to the side and had a chat with him
Then he came back and told me to go.

There are good and bad cops in Australia
But unlike other countries we do not have a bill of rights
In most cases we are considered guilty until we can prove our innocence.
Every day, laws are being enacted to erode away at our rights.

My father carried a small blade every single day of his 90 years.
I have carried a small blade every day since I was a boy scout, I'm 60
I will continue to carry as I have found many many uses for my Victornox craftsman.

But I still don't trust the cops.
tools is what defines us as humans

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #689 on: October 20, 2018, 08:02:50 AM
A  bit of common sense goes a long way whichever country you're in.

If you have to explain your machete in the supermarket when you've been clearing undergrowth on your allotment you really might not have thought it through enough.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24