Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Armbar Owners Club

us Offline johnnyvol

Re: Gerber Armbar Owners Club
Reply #210 on: August 04, 2021, 02:37:57 AM
I'm starting to like the Armbar a lot more, and the locking mechanism a lot less.   :ahhh

Does anyone else have an issue with disengaging the lock?  I have to switch hands and depress the liner lock with my fingertip just to get it to unlock.  My thumb can't get close enough to the tang where the lock meets it, so the liner lock doesn't back down from the blade (because pressing the middle of the lock all the way down results in the business end of the lock still sticking up against the tang).  So I have to switch hands and get the tip of my index finger right up to the top of the liner lock and press it in,

I have small hands to begin with so I should easily be able to do this with my thumb, and can do so with all my other liner locking blades.   :dunno:

I kind of poke my thumb nail and push on the liner lock up next to the pivot.  I have no problem doing it one handed but there is a definite point of release.  You might try to just ever so lightly polish the liner lock where it meets the blade.  Don't try to remove any metal just smooth it up a bit.
Don't complain and never explain.

us Offline johnnyvol

Reply #211 on: August 09, 2021, 10:33:14 PM
I bought an Armbar Slim last week just to see the differences between the two models.  Other than the obvious (fewer tools, slimmer) I noticed a decidedly improved tool retention on the drive arm.  The spring arm on the Slim is much smaller but it had more downward angle than the larger Armbar had from the factory.  In fact, it's stronger than my Armbar Drive after I modified the spring to increase tension.

The drive arm also had a longer notch at the end for the spring, in part because of the stop put in place due to the slimmer frame.  Perhaps this also has something to do with the improved retention.

I'll get some pics up later to show what I mean. 

Don't complain and never explain.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #212 on: August 18, 2021, 11:27:36 PM
I have adjusted the back spring on the Armbar Drive to increase tension for the driver. It worked, but the awl and the scissors are harder to access now. The solution may be to cut a slot in the back spring so that the tension on the driver can be adjusted independently.

Offline Hvac budget

Reply #213 on: September 06, 2021, 06:02:35 PM
Forgive me if this question has been asked repeatedly but I understand the armbar was not liked as much because it isn't locking.
  However suddenly the Leatherman Bond without locking implements is amazing.
   Is the difference in spring tension that much less in the armbar than the Bond?

us Offline Adam5

Reply #214 on: September 06, 2021, 06:12:32 PM
Forgive me if this question has been asked repeatedly but I understand the armbar was not liked as much because it isn't locking.
  However suddenly the Leatherman Bond without locking implements is amazing.
   Is the difference in spring tension that much less in the armbar than the Bond?

I can't speak about the Bond, but the Armbar comes with virtually no spring tension. The back spring servers almost solely as a stop. Bending the back spring a little helps out a lot imo.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #215 on: September 06, 2021, 06:16:16 PM

Offline Hvac budget

Reply #216 on: September 06, 2021, 06:44:19 PM
Good to know.  Thanks.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #217 on: September 22, 2021, 04:58:19 PM
Got a Armbar few days ago.

Good blade. Mine came very, very sharp. I found the format of the blade very good. Liked it very much.

No spring snap. None. Zero.
But at this point I had no problem with It, since I used the Armbar to remove some bolts in a very dificult and anoying place and It was made easier by the way that the tool work. If I had a screwdriver with the same lenght of the Armbar It would be more dificult.

The scissors are not so good. The ones on my MP400 are better. But It cut everything that I needed without any problem and with perfection.

The bottle opener opened my beer. No complaints.

I'll keep carrying It.

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #218 on: November 23, 2021, 06:08:23 PM
I picked up another Armbar during Gerber's 30% off sale.  The Armbar Cork will replace the SAK that's with my camping stuff.  Overall, it's nicer than the SAK, but the most important part is that it has a lever with the corkscrew.  :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #219 on: January 11, 2022, 01:34:58 AM
A cracking pic there Rich.   :tu:   :like:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #220 on: April 28, 2022, 01:57:35 AM
Does anyone know how to loosen up the blade on the Armbar? I got one that was extremely stiff out of the package. I tried using pliers to loosen it but that still did not work. Help please. This pivot is not giving. I actually really like the tool set. But I don't carry it because of the blade.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #221 on: April 28, 2022, 09:03:03 AM
You could try WD40 or something similar while moving the blade. Be careful with the cutting edge!

If that won't loosen it you could always open the pivot screw. If the armbar is setup like the MP's, you could adjust it that way. It should be set with loc-tite though. So you would have to remove it and apply new loc-tite to prevent it from  coming loose. This will of course void the warranty.

I am only speaking with experience from modding the MP's, i have not actually modded the Armbar.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #222 on: April 29, 2022, 02:27:04 AM
Does anyone know how to loosen up the blade on the Armbar? I got one that was extremely stiff out of the package. I tried using pliers to loosen it but that still did not work. Help please. This pivot is not giving. I actually really like the tool set. But I don't carry it because of the blade.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Quite literally 2 months of fidgeting with it... opening and closing it while surfing the internet, and watching movies, and other mindless things.. a good 50 hours of wearing it in, if not more.  The moment it opened smoothly, it was all worthwhile.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #223 on: April 29, 2022, 08:09:07 AM
Quite literally 2 months of fidgeting with it... opening and closing it while surfing the internet, and watching movies, and other mindless things.. a good 50 hours of wearing it in, if not more.  The moment it opened smoothly, it was all worthwhile.
Thanks. I did loosen up the pivot with some knipex pliers. It was extremely tight. The action isn't glassy smooth but it is usable now. Thanks for the feedback

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #224 on: April 29, 2022, 03:04:24 PM
Thanks. I did loosen up the pivot with some knipex pliers. It was extremely tight. The action isn't glassy smooth but it is usable now. Thanks for the feedback

I started to loosen the pivot with pliers and then I decided against it because of the amount of force I was needing.... didnt feel right.  Glad I didnt.  if I had loosened the pivot then, it would have blade play by now.  It will never be glassy smooth.  Just deliberately but easily openable with one hand. 

The other issue is the liner lock, I find that I have to press in very close to the contact patch at the interface to get it to unlock.  That part seems to wear in a bit too, and now I don't have to be so precise with where I press to disengage the lock.  (hence the reason I'm glad I didnt loosen the pivot myself)

In both instances, there was one noticeable point in time where the action worked well.  There was one point in time when the blade opened smoothly and it's been that way ever since.... and there was one point in time where the lock suddenly disenged smoothly.  As if the interfaces had been slightly off, and then some tiny fragment of metal broke away and the interfaces settled together just right. 

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #225 on: May 08, 2022, 05:09:39 PM
I wanted to thank you guys for your insight on the Armbar. I was considering one of these but the qc issues are too apparent so it's a no go.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline mikekoz

Reply #226 on: August 07, 2022, 12:15:31 AM
I wanted to thank you guys for your insight on the Armbar. I was considering one of these but the qc issues are too apparent so it's a no go.

I have an Armbar Drive and was using it today to assist replacing a door latch on the front of our house. It was a complete failure! I have used the knife and scissors on this tool, and they work great, but the drive kept folding in on me and I just had to put it aside and just use another tool. There is no excuse these days for not making locking tools on these things. The driver does not even snap into place at all. I have a few off-name brand tools like this that I got off Amazon that are superior to the Armbar in almost every way and they have all locking tools. I still like the tool but will not be using the driver (or awl) on it.

FarmerTedJoe

Reply #227 on: October 18, 2022, 01:02:13 AM
  The Armbar is great as a backup, used with other multitools. The scissors needed sharpening, and I bent the spring until it could barely be reassembled. Things stay in place much better. Since I  have a knife on the multitool, and some don't have saws, a modded reciprocating saw blade was made to fit in that slot. Works okay on small limbs and PVC.   
Armbar.jpg
* Armbar.jpg (Filesize: 151.6 KB)

us Offline Adam5

Reply #228 on: October 18, 2022, 01:55:07 AM
Nice!

Welcome to :MTO:    :cheers:

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #229 on: October 18, 2022, 06:25:59 AM
:iagree: Nice one, and welcome to the forum!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #231 on: January 31, 2023, 06:16:09 PM
Very cool!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #232 on: January 31, 2023, 08:55:21 PM
Pocket clips!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #233 on: February 09, 2023, 01:13:41 AM
Looking forward to see these in action. The original generation of armbars were solid in concept, iffy in execution. Some improvements to fit and finish, etc. and these could be great.

nl Offline ErikG

Reply #234 on: February 09, 2023, 11:10:35 PM
Very nice!

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #235 on: June 24, 2023, 07:51:20 AM
Joining this club because of the orange challenge :D

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #236 on: October 17, 2023, 04:28:40 AM
Hi,

I just got an orange driver on the way 🤞

PS:

Hello to those forum members that still around from circa 2009, I guess it's been a while 😅
A

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #237 on: October 20, 2023, 03:01:02 AM
There's a few here.  Welcome back!!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!