Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Automatic Watch Recommendation

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: Automatic Watch Recommendation
Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 05:09:29 AM
Seiko SNK381 has a simple dial with numerals. See search engine images for real life examples. :)
Rambler

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 05:16:23 AM
Seiko SNK381 has a simple dial with numerals. See search engine images for real life examples. :)

I like that! Especially with the black leather band!  :tu:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 05:38:07 AM
I like that! Especially with the black leather band!  :tu:

Jomashop has it for $79.99. Throw away the bracelet and put it on a nice strap and you'll be ready to step out! ;)

I have a vintage 5 very similar to the SNXS79 as my dress automatic. It has simple baton markers and plain straight hands, much like your Tissot. The 5 has been removed from the dial, which I think is an improvement.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:15:41 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 01:53:17 PM
Invicta, their a good watch, I have a couple, two in which are self-winders, both divers, nice thing about them is the weight, the bands are not folded but a solid metal,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 06:49:29 PM
Invicta gets a bad rep if you troll watch forums,  however, I have a few of them and I like them all. 
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 11:55:38 PM
Still looking into the different options. I would like to get a Tissot for the job, maybe a vintage one, to reduce price. Yet I have heard that some of them lose up to 2min per day. That would not be good. Does anyone have experience with that?

Never heard of Invicta either. Will take a look into their collection  :tu:

Also found this watch that I like:

According to Amazon it is a German Military Ti Field watch. Anyone have experience with these?  :popcorn:

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #36 on: March 08, 2020, 06:49:14 PM
Hi, have you considered the Seiko Alpinist at all? It would seem to fit most of what you are looking for, although the style seems to divide opinion and it really depends if you have an objection to the green face. I have one and I love the green face, it just has this amazing depth of colour when it catches the light.

Apart from that, it is good in water up to 20bar, it has the reliable ‘JDM’ automatic movement, and it has got the Seiko diashock, this is I believe normally only found on their more premium models. Might be worth a look if you haven’t already considered one?

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #37 on: March 08, 2020, 07:11:50 PM
Sorry just to add to my post above in case you were interested. I bought mine a little over three years ago and haven’t read anything about them since that time. It appears that Seiko stopped making this model in 2018 and they have just re-launched a new range of Alpinist watches. I don’t know a thing about these new versions so could not say if they are decent or not. The one I posted about above is the SARB017, they are still readily available, just had a look on Amazon and they are selling these at $399, I am sure they are available for less if you looked around.

One last thing I forgot to say, the Alpinist is not a big watch, I have tiny wrists and oversized watches look plain silly on me, this is 38mm I think but wears small.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #38 on: March 08, 2020, 08:21:58 PM
Thanks for your suggestion! I like the general look, but I am not big on the green face. Still gonna take a look into the series!  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #39 on: March 08, 2020, 09:25:23 PM
Can’t go wrong with Seiko Sir Vic. There are a lot of brands out there, many with questionable movements. If you want a watch to last, and have years of reliable, accurate use, go with a brand that makes their own movements or sources from a good manufacturer. The only Chinese brand I’d trust for long-term use is Seagull. Just my own opinion of course.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 12:34:25 AM
I would agree, but Seiko doesn‘t really have something that gets me excited  :dunno: I am also feeling a bit adventurous, so maybe I am trying something new. Still looking into several brands, so have not made a decision yet  :whistle:
This phase is part of the fun after all  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 05:28:48 AM
I was wearing my Tissot for the last few days, and realized that I need one more feature in my automatic watch. I wear my watches day and night, and even though the Tissot has luminous markers, they are hard to see in the middle of the night. So I need an automatic watch with either bright/large luminous markers or something like tritium  :think:

Found a Seiko that I really like look-wise: SNKL83J1
Anyone know if that one is easy to read in the dark?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 08:56:18 AM
Five of the best Gaseous Tritium watches

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/04/30/best-tritium-watches/
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 03:47:33 AM
Five of the best Gaseous Tritium watches

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/04/30/best-tritium-watches/

Thanks for the link, but they are all out of my price range  :(

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 05:11:02 PM
I was wearing my Tissot for the last few days, and realized that I need one more feature in my automatic watch. I wear my watches day and night, and even though the Tissot has luminous markers, they are hard to see in the middle of the night. So I need an automatic watch with either bright/large luminous markers or something like tritium  :think:

Found a Seiko that I really like look-wise: SNKL83J1
Anyone know if that one is easy to read in the dark?
Seiko use Lumibrite which is their branded luminescence. It’s better than average and they get good colour and brightness consistency between the markers and hands.  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 06:07:23 PM
Sounds good, I think I will give that Seiko a try  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 06:13:15 PM
I think that’s a great choice. Looking forward to seeing it!  :like:  :popcorn:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #47 on: March 24, 2020, 08:53:40 PM
The watch came in:

Gotta say I really like the size, weight and feel. :tu: Did not like the band it came with, it was flimsy and very noisy, so I removed it and added a Nato strap. Wanted a more casual look anyway, so I already had that in mind.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #48 on: March 24, 2020, 09:01:30 PM
Congrats Sir Vic! That’s a real stunner.  :like:
And it was great to see all the recommendations and discussion on your journey. Just makes it all the more special. And the NATO strap shows it off really nicely. Classic dial, and the red second hand pops. Looking forward to more pics with your SAKs and daily carry.  :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: March 24, 2020, 09:27:01 PM
What a Dandy!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #50 on: March 24, 2020, 09:39:43 PM
Congrats Sir Vic! That’s a real stunner.  :like:
And it was great to see all the recommendations and discussion on your journey. Just makes it all the more special. And the NATO strap shows it off really nicely. Classic dial, and the red second hand pops. Looking forward to more pics with your SAKs and daily carry.  :cheers:

:iagree: Thanks for all the recommendations! I found some new watch companies, I never knew existed  :tu:

Might have to experiment with the different strap colors. Red might look good too. Good thing NATO straps are available in a gazillion of colors  :ahhh

it Offline SirVicaLot

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #52 on: March 24, 2020, 09:43:39 PM
Good choice  :tu: :tu: :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: March 24, 2020, 10:29:04 PM
 :like: I think a red strap would be awesome.  Nice watch as I always like a simple clean face.  That red second hand is a nice touch. 
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #54 on: March 24, 2020, 11:13:00 PM
Thanks guys! I might see if I can find a red NATO strap locally. Looks like Amazon has 4 weeks delivery time for non-essential items as of late  :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #55 on: March 25, 2020, 12:30:58 AM
A good looker that one.  :dd:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #56 on: March 25, 2020, 12:41:40 PM
Thanks guys! I might see if I can find a red NATO strap locally. Looks like Amazon has 4 weeks delivery time for non-essential items as of late  :facepalm:
Although a bit more expensive go for a toxic NATO’s strap. The cheap ones from amazon have put many people off them for life

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #57 on: March 25, 2020, 02:51:28 PM
Although a bit more expensive go for a toxic NATO’s strap. The cheap ones from amazon have put many people off them for life

Thanks Smashie, will look into that  :tu:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #58 on: March 29, 2020, 10:38:06 PM
Beautiful new watch there, SirVic! How is the lume?

I'm a big fan of Nato straps and those woven nylon ones whose common name I can't remember right now. A casual, rugged look, supremely comfortable (especially once "worn in"), readily washable, and last for years. Not as smart as nice leather of course, but definitely more practical IMO. I always cut the back strap off because it makes the watch ride higher on my wrist than I like.

I've bought mine from NatoZulu in Singapore (great to deal with) and Cheapest Nato Straps. The latter stocks uncommon sizes like 21mm, perfect for my Eco Drive. Beware of straps whose buckle is fastened to the strap with spring bars: they always pop out, in my experience.
Rambler

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #59 on: March 30, 2020, 12:17:34 AM
The lume is ok, better than the one on my Tissot. It’s enough to read it in the middle of the night, but by morning it is not enough anymore. I still really like it though  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%