Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

440C Super Steel.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
440C Super Steel.
on: September 18, 2019, 05:29:29 PM
The newest and latest steels on the market all are very enticing.  I don't have all the latest steels nor do I have all the "exotics".  I have a few steels that I wanted to try and not so recently picked up a BM in 440C.  I have other 440C blades.  I am noticing a difference in how the blades were heat treated in the things I have used them on. 

What happened in the knife industry is likely what happens in most.  Demand outweighs use.  I am in no way an expert.  I do read a lot and the steels I have I use a lot.  I think we can all agree how a steel is treated is of the utmost importance.  There is also a huge importance in what that steel will be used for.  Application has to be considered.  We've read about experiences with steels that "failed" however in that particular use there was no wonder. 

I have been very impressed with my Buck in 440C and BM in 440C.  Lets for a moment take out burnt edges plus the knives I have are both used and have both been reshaped several times prior to me.  I know burnt edges is something discussed in some circles and in my mind it makes sense.  My Buck is wonderful.  When I got it it needed an edge as it was well used.  There was damage but I suspect it was due to neglect rather than how buck heat treated the blade.  The knife is also 30 years old so I can only imagine how much it had been used but the looks of it.  I have not been able to detect any less cutting ability/sharpness since tunings the blade.  I've cut a lot with it too.  When I got it I was excited to carry it and I did.  I used it at work and home for a range of materials. 

I got my BM in 440C and kinda wished for the 154CM version.  It came with a dullish edge that I sharpened to a wicked edge.  I carried this knife for work and home use and find it still to be very sharp.  I cannot say if BM got the fullest out of this steel but so far I am impressed.  We have always heard Bucks heat treat is great and on my 78'-79' version with 440C I have to believe everything said is true. 

I do have a cheap and cheerful fixed blade in 440C.  Taking out the burnt edge possibility, this knife doesnt hold an edge as my other two examples.  I've tried a few angles and none have helped this knifes edge.  After several years of ownership I feel its the heat treat on it. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: 440C Super Steel.
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:22:31 PM
The newest and latest steels on the market all are very enticing.  I don't have all the latest steels nor do I have all the "exotics".  I have a few steels that I wanted to try and not so recently picked up a BM in 440C.  I have other 440C blades.  I am noticing a difference in how the blades were heat treated in the things I have used them on. 

I do have a cheap and cheerful fixed blade in 440C.  Taking out the burnt edge possibility, this knife doesnt hold an edge as my other two examples.  I've tried a few angles and none have helped this knifes edge.  After several years of ownership I feel its the heat treat on it. 

Heat treatment can make a big difference.

Paul Bos started heat treating Buck blades on a contractual basis in the mid 1960's.

The 440C knives with the Bos Heat treat hold up very well. Paul Bos is a master at getting the most out of a particular steel by using the right heat treatment for it. He retired from Buck in 2010 and Paul Farner took his place.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 10:33:24 PM
I have three knives in 440C steel, a 1974-1980 Buck 110, a Gerber Folding Sportsman II about the same age as the Buck, and an Alex Shunnrah/Attack Rescue Survive Altoids Tin "neck knife". I swear, in terms of the balance between ease of resharpening and edge-holding, 440C is the best. While not impossible to sharpen to a newbie (i.e. I've had nothing but trouble with a Queen in D2; which was dull from the factory;  to the point I'm looking at having it professionally sharpened), it still took me a little time, but the edge I put on my 110 two years ago is still holding up.  It definitely outclasses the 420HC version I bought to replace it (and ended up almost never using in favor of the older one; and later the 110LT).   The Shunnrah seems to be pretty decent steel; but sources seem to differ just where it was made. One of the ARS dealers themselves says "China"; while the seller of my example stated "USA". Seems like the steel holds up well; and has held its edge despite being used hard.

I have an Emerson that I'm 50% sure is fake, so it might not actually be 154CM.  But I do have a Buck 110LT "Shield" in CPM-154. It's a lot like the 440C; easy to maintain, but holds an edge. I used it hard for three months before needing to resharpen it.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 09:36:29 AM
Heat treat and edge geometry are so important that it basically negates steel type.

A middle of the road steel (like 440C) with good geometry and maximized heat treat will outperform a super steel blade with a safe 58/59HRC heat treat and 20 degree edge bevel   :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 06:04:46 PM
Still loving my BM Griptillian with 440C.  They did a great job with this steel.  Its one of my sharpest folders and has kept its edge doing everyday stuff.  I also love to flick this knife open and closed multiple times a minute. 
IMG_0272.jpg
* IMG_0272.jpg (Filesize: 156.01 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 06:46:44 PM
Griptillian are nice knives!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 06:59:10 PM
 :iagree: I was very late to realizing this.  It was the plastic handles that threw me off.  I can see why like Spydies they are so collectable.   
Esse Quam Videri

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:44:02 AM
Paul Boss knows his stuff.....

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 02:25:15 PM
Yes he does!  :iagree:

ro Offline Edi

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 03:49:19 PM
Heat treat and edge geometry are so important that it basically negates steel type.

A middle of the road steel (like 440C) with good geometry and maximized heat treat will outperform a super steel blade with a safe 58/59HRC heat treat and 20 degree edge bevel   :salute:

Are you really sure about that?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD